It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Does this sound like Babesia or Lyme?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
    cypcz
    (male)

cypcz HB User
    Does this sound like Babesia or Lyme?

Hello,

I am a 28 year old male.

Iíve been suffering from a variety of symptoms for about 9 years that have seemed to evolve over time. My current primary symptoms are soreness/stiffness in my muscles/joints. The stiffness typically occurs in only one muscle/joint at a time and is mostly bilateral. The key characteristic is that the stiffness travels frequently from one muscle to another. This occurs throughout the day and the affected muscle/joint can change even within minutes. For example, it can be in my knees one minute and then switch to my neck. It can pretty much travel anywhere: knees, thighs, feet, lower legs, neck, back, arms (occasionally), and face. And once it moves on, the muscle/joint returns to normal.

It seems to be a neurological issue because it can also present as burning sensations. I also have some tingling/numbness to go along with this and have been having muscle twitches for over a year now. Iíve had some other non-neurological symptoms as well, but they are not as troublesome.

Needless to say, I have seen multiple physicians to no avail. Iíve recently been seeing a LLMD and tested positive for Babesia exposure (IgG only). No evidence of Lyme or other co-infections, but I am currently doing some further testing. As a result, the doc only has me on Mepron right now but may add azithromycin once additional testing is complete. No improvement in symptoms so far.

I am still skeptical as to whether my symptoms are due to the Babesia, and I donít ever recall being bitten by a tick. I guess my question is does the Babesia seem like a reasonable explanation here? Have other folks had similar experiences? Would Lyme provide a better fit for the symptoms I have?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
    bubbalyme
    (female)

bubbalyme HB User
    Re: Does this sound like Babesia or Lyme?

It sounds like lyme to me, esp. the muscle twitches, burning sensations, and sudden changes in episodes. They come and go, right? Make sure you get a Western Blot IgG and IgM test from IGeneX for lyme. None of the other tests are as effective. If your LLMD doesn't want to do this, consider looking for a new one. They are not all the same, nor do they treat lyme the same way. Good luck!

Bubbalyme

BTW, if you start having night sweats and/or night terrors, and anemia then that would be the babesia kicking in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cypcz View Post
    Hello,

I am a 28 year old male.

Iíve been suffering from a variety of symptoms for about 9 years that have seemed to evolve over time. My current primary symptoms are soreness/stiffness in my muscles/joints. The stiffness typically occurs in only one muscle/joint at a time and is mostly bilateral. The key characteristic is that the stiffness travels frequently from one muscle to another. This occurs throughout the day and the affected muscle/joint can change even within minutes. For example, it can be in my knees one minute and then switch to my neck. It can pretty much travel anywhere: knees, thighs, feet, lower legs, neck, back, arms (occasionally), and face. And once it moves on, the muscle/joint returns to normal.

It seems to be a neurological issue because it can also present as burning sensations. I also have some tingling/numbness to go along with this and have been having muscle twitches for over a year now. Iíve had some other non-neurological symptoms as well, but they are not as troublesome.

Needless to say, I have seen multiple physicians to no avail. Iíve recently been seeing a LLMD and tested positive for Babesia exposure (IgG only). No evidence of Lyme or other co-infections, but I am currently doing some further testing. As a result, the doc only has me on Mepron right now but may add azithromycin once additional testing is complete. No improvement in symptoms so far.

I am still skeptical as to whether my symptoms are due to the Babesia, and I donít ever recall being bitten by a tick. I guess my question is does the Babesia seem like a reasonable explanation here? Have other folks had similar experiences? Would Lyme provide a better fit for the symptoms I have?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
    cypcz
    (male)

cypcz HB User

Thanks bubbalyme. I appreciate the help.

Yeah, my symptoms do come and go, but there always seems to be something wrong at any given time. And yes, I have had some testing from Igenex. Not sure of the specifics, but it was for lyme. It was negative, however. I've done some additional PCR testing for lyme. I am going back to the doctor this Tuesday to discuss the results and next steps.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
    bubbalyme
    (female)

bubbalyme HB User

W.r.t. you Igenex lyme test, they provide two sets of criteria for determining lyme. They show how the CDC would classify the test, and then they show how they would classify the test. The CDC guidelines for the test are too restrictive and were not defined for diagnosis purposes. The Igenex guidelines are more general but also more accurate. BTW, lyme PCR tests are less accurate than Western Blot tests. You can test negative on a PCR, but test positive with a Western Blot.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
    I am still skeptical as to whether my symptoms are due to the Babesia, and I donít ever recall being bitten by a tick.
    I have seen several statistics that site fewer than 50% of people with Lyme remember being bitten by a tick. Other blood sucking vectors can carry Lyme as well.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
    cypcz
    (male)

cypcz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubbalyme View Post
    W.r.t. you Igenex lyme test, they provide two sets of criteria for determining lyme. They show how the CDC would classify the test, and then they show how they would classify the test. The CDC guidelines for the test are too restrictive and were not defined for diagnosis purposes. The Igenex guidelines are more general but also more accurate. BTW, lyme PCR tests are less accurate than Western Blot tests. You can test negative on a PCR, but test positive with a Western Blot.
    I looked back at my results from Igenex, and I did have a Western Blot. Nothing there really, just a couple indeterminate bands at 41 kDa. That's interesting about the PCR test being less accurate, though. I wonder why my doc has continued with that.

I am also wondering what the chances are of a false positive for Babesia especially since my symptoms don't seem to be the typical ones for babesiosis.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
    cypcz
    (male)

cypcz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
    I have seen several statistics that site fewer than 50% of people with Lyme remember being bitten by a tick. Other blood sucking vectors can carry Lyme as well.
    Thanks jenj. Yeah, I have read that before about people not recalling a bite. What else could carry Lyme and/or Babesia? How likely is it to just contract Babesia only?

Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
    lala52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Jen:
    What other blood sucking vectors carry lyme? Do mosquitos? Because I get bitten alive every summer with them.

P.s. Don't you and I talk on the peri-meno board also? I guess we have a lot of the same issues

LaLa

Old 07-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #9
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

cypcz and lala,

Fleas, mosquitoes, mites and other blood sucking insects can carry Lyme Disease. If these insects feed on animals, such as deer, mice, birds, etc., who have the bacteria, and then feed on you, the bacterium is thus transferred. Also remember - not all ticks carry the bacterium that causes LD.

LLMDs feel that Lyme may also be transmitted sexually, through saliva, and to a fetus if the mother is pregnant and infected. Also through blood transfusions.

Ballady

Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #10
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
    Jen:
    . Don't you and I talk on the peri-meno board also? I guess we have a lot of the same issues LaLa
    Hi LaLa,

Nope, not I. There are many Jen's who post on these boards!!

Jen (j770)

Last edited by jenj770; 07-11-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
    lala52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Everyone:

I am very confused as to the proper testing for lyme. There seems to be lots of controversy. Does anybody know the best and most accurate testing? I am reading from everybody so many different opinions. I am going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!As if i am not crazy enough with all my symptoms. I just want to get closure as to whether I truly have lyme or I don't so that I can pursue some other illness that is creating my symptoms. Thanks to anybody who has good info. LaLa

Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
    nellers78
    (female)

nellers78 HB User

I have Lyme and you've described my symptoms to a T. I would keep pursuing this!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
    cypcz
    (male)

cypcz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nellers78 View Post
    I have Lyme and you've described my symptoms to a T. I would keep pursuing this!
    Interesting. I've never come across anyone who shared my symptoms. Do you mind if I ask you how you discovered you had Lyme and if you have had any successful treatment?

Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
    nellers78
    (female)

nellers78 HB User

Quote:
    Interesting. I've never come across anyone who shared my symptoms. Do you mind if I ask you how you discovered you had Lyme and if you have had any successful treatment?
    Sure. I've met a few people with my symptoms, by the way. So, we're not alone.

I got bitten two years ago by a tick, the head got stuck and I had the red rash around the bite.

By the time I saw the doctor (I was pregnant and had a OB appointment the next month or so out so I thought I'd wait until then) the rash was gone and no one seemed the least bit interested in the tick bite story I kept sharing.

They said my symptoms were not related.

Flash forward two years and I FINALLY talked my PCP into giving me the western blot and it showed up. I'm now going to see a LLMD in my area next month and it couldn't come any quicker. Now, I don't know yet if I have Babesia on top of it, but I do know of other Lyme suffers with same or similar symptoms that you and I share.

Whatever is going on with you, I pray someone gets to the bottom of it for you and begins to treat you so you can get better!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
    lala52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nellers:
    What exactly are your symptoms? LaLa

Closed Thread