It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Need Help With Moderate-Stage Lyme

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
    TFOX8
    (male)

TFOX8 HB User
    Need Help With Moderate-Stage Lyme

Hi.

I am a teenage male recently diagnosed with Lyme.

I have been experiencing severe brain fog, fatigue, and cognitive issues for about a year now.

Initially, a CT Scan showed complete sinus blockage, which we thought was the main issue. That lead to a successful sinus surgery in December. No symptoms cleared up, and they continued to become worse.

We then explored psychiatric issues. I ended up with a diagnosis of anxiety and depersonalization, which we attempted to treat with Sertraline and Paroxetine. No symptoms became better.

I went to a Natural and Integrative Medicine doctor with high regards in our area. He completed many blood, saliva, and urine tests. My main diagnosis was Lyme. It was expected to have been going on for about 2 to 3 years.

After preparing for antibiotic treatment, I was prescribed Doxycycline, Cefdinir, and Fluconazole. I am also taking several herbal supplements, such as NT Factor, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and several others.

My symptoms continue to worsen. I am having debilitating herx reactions to the antibiotics, which is interfering with my final exams in school. Luckily, I only have one day left!

To help with my herx reactions, my doctor suggested trying IV Rocephin, IV Chelation, Epsom Salts, and Hypobaric Chamber therapy. I am not too sure about the hypobaric...anxiety gets in the way...

What has helped you with herxing and cognitive symptoms? How could I speed up the recovery and build up my strength, energy, and get rid of my brain fog (I have marching band this summer, which is really physical)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Need Help With Moderate-Stage Lyme

Hi, sorry that you have lyme. But it is good that you know what you have so you can deal with it.

In my own opinion, and from what I see others go through. There is no magic pill.
    Sounds like your doc has you on good treatment. One of the main goals is to get your immune system raised. That is suppose to put the bacteria into remission.
    If you can do the hyperbarics you should give it a whirl. The bacteria does not like oxygen. And that is what the hyperbaric is all about. Not many can afford this treatment.

Every day you need to keep up on your detoxing, and taking your meds. I hope you can recover from this quickly.

Jodie

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
    DoodleFang
    (male)

DoodleFang HB User

The sinus blockage makes sense with Lyme, I have similar issues with chronic sinus inflammation. The sinuses are a reservoir for bacterial growth and there have been studies undertaken showing that the spirochete in particular loves to harbour within the frontal sinuses. These sinuses fully develop at around age 16, so it would be interesting to know what age your symptoms started. For me it causes immense pressure, and feelings that my eyes are being pushed out of my head.

The antibiotics you are on sound good due to Doxy and Omnicef being Lyme Killers. According to ILADS though they should be high dosages (up to 300-600mg of Doxy) and you should be on them for a time period of more than 4weeks (thats how long the spirochetes life-span is).

Although the herx reactions can be unbearable, they are a good sign. This reaction means that the bacteria is being killed off, the reaction is simply the neurotoxins of the dead bacteria, that's why as jojo said, keep up with the detoxing.

Sadly there is no way whatsoever to speed up recovery concerning Lyme disease, it takes a long time to kill off but it is definitely worth it. By speeding up recovery you would not be correctly treating the disease. As I mentioned the spirochete has a life span of 4 weeks, so any less than 4weeks and you will only be setting yourself up for a relapse of symptoms in the near future. Personally I would take as much treatment as you can get, because as you know the fatigue and brainfog is unbearable. I ended up having to drop out of my last year of highschool and completing online due to Lyme causing Severely extreme exhaustion, so congrats for making it through the year.

You're also lucky that you're Summer break is coming up, sounds to me like you need to take it easy and give that time to yourself in order to get better. If marching band requires too much exertion and completely knocks you out then reconsider. At the recovering stage even a late night of drinking can kick you back a few steps. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
    moecasey
    (female)

moecasey HB User

My son is 20 and he says the sauna at the gym (just signed him up today!) makes him feel like his heart is beating normal again. It feels like its beating too slow to him most the time. We started the detox bath Saturday and he said it made him feel better. Did make him a little dizzy so be careful. This is one I found: I put the ginger in the chopper easier than grating and put in a nylon.

You can cut it back to 2 cups epsom salt and 1 qt of hydrogen peroxide if you need to save money, but this is the recipe that a LLMD an came up with and many people get good results with it. Do it at least 2-3 times a week.
    Ingredients:
    * 4-6 cups Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate).
    * 32-64 fluid oz Hydrogen Peroxide (3%, as found in grocery store).
    * 2-4 Tablespoons of Ginger (fresh grated) wrapped in a piece of cheese cloth or in a tea ball. An old piece of nylon hose also works well too. (We usually skip this part as it really isn’t necessary, but you can do it if you’d like). The purpose of putting fresh ginger in the bath is to open up the pores of the skin so that the ingredients can be absorbed more easily. But the dry brushing will do that too, so this is optional. Sometimes I do it sometimes not, mostly not.
    Instructions:
    * Dry Skin Brush entire body for five minutes before bath, removes the layer of dead skin for better absorption You start with the feet working upwards, hands move towards shoulders, torso upwards toward the heart, back upwards and over shoulders towards heart. Light pressure in areas where skin is thin, and harder pressure on places like soles of feet.
    * Fill the bath tub with WARM water. Then add Epsom Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Ginger “ball” (if you use ginger). Swirl water around, then get in the tub for 20 minutes MAX. (Optional)
    Shower off after wards so skin doesn’t get dried out.

The Magnesium is very helpful for the twitching in the muscles too. I read the twitching is from lack of magnesium.

Closed Thread