It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Please help - could this be start of lymes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
    Jane australia
    (female)

Jane australia HB User
    Please help - could this be start of lymes?

Hi all
    I have been googling Lymes and believe that this is most informed group of people sharing info and advice :-)

I got stung by an unidentified insect in Koh Phangan in Thailand on 30
    Dec 13 on inner right thigh.

Shortly after time of sting, I had small raised white sting area, nothing unusual. Then 2 days later started to get very itchy and red, raised centre bout 4 cm diameter, then started to spread lighter circle around with middle part clearing. I can post photo - but very symptomatic of lymes from what I can ascertain.

It has been itchy and red, raised in middle and 'hard' now for 5 days - also had bruised line like large vein heading in one direction, and swollen neck glands for 1 day. That has cleared.

Went to doctor here in Thailand. They said just allergic reaction. I then went to emergency after reading various medical and government websites (naturally freaked out) and again doctor waved it off. I insisted on prescription of doxycycline - they provided. but don't want to take until I know I need to. My husband and I trying to conceive (may be early pregnancy now) so don't want to take anything unless I have to.

Now on day 8 rash on outside completely gone only central part itchy at times. Still red.

Any help, thoughts would be so much appreciated. Including - can this bacterial infection be acquired in Thailand from non-ticks? And - is that type of rash only seen in Lyme infections? How much time do I have before I must take antibiotics?

As my user name suggests I am Australian - heading back there in 4 days and have appoint booked in with my GP. But I doubt they know much about Lymes. I don't believe it is common in Aus...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Please help - could this be start of lymes?

Hi Jane,

Vectors other than ticks can carry the lyme bacterium, gnats, spiders, biting flies, etc. . . Lyme exists most everywhere, including Australia.

Are you having any symptoms other than at the site of the bite? If what you are describing is a bulls eye rash that is particular to lyme disease. If you suspect lyme it might be wise to wait to conceive as a good many reports suggest the infection can be carried to the fetus. It's also very important to get treatment as quickly as possible as the spirochetes replicate about every month. Once they go from the blood into the tissues it is much more difficult to treat.

We know from past posts here that getting treatment for lyme outside of the US is very difficult, so I feel for you and don't know what to suggest. I think there are other Aussie's who have posted here in the past so maybe someone will weigh in with suggestions. In the meantime, a good Naturopath would probably be a better choice for advice and treatment than your primary doctor. If you're into alternative, you could also check out the Salt/C protocol, which is what I used for my healing. This book is very informative and would help you with this protocol or with decision making regarding anything lyme:

The Salt/C Plus Protocol for Lyme Infection by M. Fett

I hope you can find the help you need.

Tess

Last edited by tess201; 01-07-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
    Jane australia
    (female)

Jane australia HB User

Hi Tess

Thanks so much for the advice and thoughts. I am going to start a 2 week course of doxycycline - that's just based on what I have seen from American Lymes Association (?) website of recommended treatments. So that will be starting only 10 days from bite. Hopefully I'll catch it before it enters the tissue as you say. I'm back in Sydney Friday and seeing my GP - hopefully they have some idea but at least I have informed myself. Lucky for the internet otherwise I would never have thought it was going to turn into something serious. But is 2 weeks 100 mg twice a day enough? Any advice appreciated.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
    Jane australia
    (female)

Jane australia HB User

Also Tess - yes I am into natural alternatives and know a great one I have been to in past so I'll go see her and check that book out. Thanks again

Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
    Lymesick
    (male)

Lymesick HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Please help - could this be start of lymes?

Jane, I think you will be surprised when you get back ...there are many very knowledgeable Lymies in Aus....doctors not so aware but the Lymies can put you in touch with the best around.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Closed Thread