It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

Success story

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
booolyme
(male)

booolyme HB User
Success story

If you are scouring the internet looking for firsthand “success” stories, please keep reading. Although I cannot yet say that I am fully healed, I am well on my way. Do not dismiss this because I do not yet have an entirely clean bill of health. The words “well on my way” are new to me, words I have never been able to say. I still have my struggles, but I am no longer suffering, and the difference is something that I do not take lightly. I am writing this message for one very simple reason. Like many of you, I have had dark days and troubled times when I wanted nothing more than hope. It is difficult to find positivity and hopefulness on the Internet… I would read posts of desperate people, people like me, begging for a glimmering example to aspire to, to look toward, to show that people do get better, the fight is not in vein, and there is a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. I couldn’t understand why there was hardly a positive story to be found – could it be so hopeless? Having gone from a year spent largely in bed or on the couch, to typing this from my office with a full undaunting day ahead, I owe it to you to set the record straight. People do get better. I am getting better. But once that process finally begins after spending what seemed like an eternity living in terror and despair, you do everything you can not to look back. I made the difficult decision to sacrifice more than a year of my life to intravenous treatment. I have had lyme disease since I was eight years old, with the gamut of problematic symptoms and ever-increasing neurological complications over the last 5-7 years. After years of failed oral regiments, futile holistic programs and false hopes, I committed myself to recovery, no matter the cost. My doctor advised that I would forfeit this year of my life and that I would need to lean on my support system to even make it through. Boy was he right! I will not belabor the painful details that this treatment bestowed upon us. I will tell you that this year+ was more painful, frightening and solitary than I ever could have imagined. I lost myself. My loved ones lost me. But what a joy it has been for us all to get me back!!! I firmly believe that cyber evidence of success stories are few and far between not because they don’t happen, but because once they do, you relish in removing the word “lyme” from your hourly vocabulary. While it still makes its appearances in mine, its frequency has been replaced with words like “honeymoon,” “conference call” and the question “what do you want to do today?!,” laced with possibilities. Lyme disease has consumed me & mine for years – when you finally get the chance to move forward, it is a painful and often detrimental exercise to look back.

Stay positive. Find a program that you believe in with a lyme-literate doctor that you trust and dedicate every ounce of your being to it. Do not cheat yourself out of the life that you deserve. Do not read the negative information disseminated on the internet and the like. It will do nothing but scare you and make you less hopeful in a time when your faith and positivity is EVERTHING. Lean on your loved ones and remember that though you may feel loneliness and even resentment when they are able to head out the door to work each day, this burden is not yours alone. Remember that they too are lying awake at night in a troubled mind full of prayers for an answer, a sign, anything to make you better. Fight together. Their love carried me through.

At the risk of being repetitive I will say once more…. STAY POSITIVE! There is hope, I promise you. Don’t give up. Smile

The Following User Says Thank You to booolyme For This Useful Post:
silverdollar (04-04-2014)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
hope, lyme, success, success stories