It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Anemia and Diarrhea. Relapse? Need Advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
    Vicksburg91
    (male)

Vicksburg91 HB User
    Anemia and Diarrhea. Relapse? Need Advice

Hello all,

I am posting here because Im hoping to find an answer to my issues. Im a 23 year old male college student. I had Lyme Disease and Babesia in the past and was treated by an LLMD for several years. Ive been symptom free for two years until all this started (explained below). I was wondering if anyone has had similar labs or has ideas on if this could be a relapse or something new?
    My current problem started with severe diarrhea about a month and a half ago. I ended up in the ER with dehydration and mild kidney failure about a month ago. Since then I've been in the ER several times and Im running high blood pressure and feeling completely fatigued most of the time. Yesterday I was sent to the ER from my campus health service with BP of 186/110. Prior to a month and half ago I had normal bp and labs. Now my BP is generally around 140/80- I bought a cuff on the advise of my doctor to monitor it. A colonoscopy came back normal two weeks ago, although a endospcopy did reveal Stage C Esopohigits.
    My current labs are
    Normal RBC
    HGB- 10.9
    HCT- 34.6
    MCV- 76
    MCHC- 28.9
    MCH- 22.9
    RDW- 17.9
    Abnormal Polychromsia

Vitamin B12 high at 1304
    Calcium high at 10.4
    An anion gap that fluctuates from normal to high at 16
    Slightly elevated nuetrophils
    Also had one lab that showed random glucose level was high at 113

My doctor has not checked my iron or ferratin levels yet. He seems to be at a loss for what is causing my anemia after the B12 test came back yesterday- there was an assumption I might be deficient. Im confused by RBC being normal when so much about the red bell cells are off

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to ask the doctor or what I should do? Im still making it to classes and the gym (when i can) but I am exhausted and feel like I have a cold/flu most of the time. All these ER trips are making me feel like a major hypochondriac but I figure something must be wrong to be causing the diarrhea and anemia.
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Anemia and Diarrhea. Relapse? Need Advice

Hi sorry for what your going through. Sounds like your out of remission.

Babesia can cause anemia. Been there myself.

You also need to be taking probiotics and not eating wheat, sugar, corn. They can keep the intestines flared up also. Try to fill your diet with rice based products and not wheat. And eat lots of veges...just not corn.

There are other options out there besides doing antibiotics.

Maybe look into a naturopath or a homeopath, acupuncturist.

Hope you feel better soon!

Jodie

Old 11-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
    Vicksburg91
    (male)

Vicksburg91 HB User

Thanks for the reply! Because of the Anemia I thought of Babesia but I didn't think it could relapse. Can it? I know Lyme can but I treated for three months on Mephron and symptoms of Babesia had totally resolved. I hvent seen my LLMD in over a year because I was doing so well but I'll definitely make an appointment to check with him. I didn't want to be alarmist and jump to the conclusion it was Lyme related but Im thinking it might be.
    Can the anemia at my level cause fatigue? Ive been feeling incredibly tired and my friends have pointed out I look tired and seem less talkative. My resting bp is always around 160/70 now and it was always perfectly normal.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

[COLOR="Green"]Yes, many of these co-infections can bare their ugly heads again if we don't get them under control. It took me many years to treat Babesia.

True LLMD's , Lyme Literate Medical Doctors, say to treat 3 to 4 months past all symptoms being gone.

Your tiredness could be from any of the herpe viruses, Epstein Barr, Cytomeglovirus, ect ect.
    Lyme can too.

And having anemia that is part of the reason there also.

I think it would be wise to get back to your LLMD, and rule some things in or out.
    We all respond differently to treatments beings all of our immune systems are different. So you might need to through different treatments, alternative, homeopath, western med, acupuncture., naturopath..what ever it takes.

I have been under treatment since 1997 and still whittling away at it.

I hope you can get this figured out. Remember that it's your body and your health. If a doctor stops treatment then find another doc that will help. Learn all you cause we need to be our own advocates!

Take Care!

Jodie
    /COLOR]

Closed Thread