It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board

• LVA was Effective Treatment for me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
    Brenm
    (female)

Brenm HB User
    Thumbs up LVA was Effective Treatment for me

I recently underwent surgical treatment for primary lymphedema in my right leg. The procedure, called LVA (Lymphaticovenous Anastomosis) was performed on April 21, 2015 and I’m already seeing a significant improvement in my swelling!

LVA graphs the lymph lines to a vein to allow the lymph fluid to drain via the vascular system. See more info at the end of the post.

I'm 30 years old, I was diagnosed with primary lymphedema 11 years ago in my right leg. It was manageable for about 8 years with little change but quickly got worse over the last few, regardless of everything I tried to manage it, including regular therapy with a licensed lymphedema therapist, massage and pump at home everyday (multiple times a day), increased compression garment, bandaging a night with legs elevated, acupuncture, herbs, homeopathic medicines, changing diet, light therapy, laser therapy, etc.

My doctor performed a test called ICG lymphography to determine my stage and if I was a candidate. He diagnosed me at early Stage 4.

Barely two weeks since surgery and I can already see a significant decrease in swelling and bones in my foot I haven't seen in two years!

I'm approaching the end of my three week bed rest and excited see how my body will respond and adjust to being on me feet again. I'm also curious to see how my thigh will respond. While my condition affects my whole leg, toes to upper thigh, the Dr. only made connections between my ankle and knee and said my thigh would drain in response. I've been wearing a compression garment for so long and am so used to it, that I don't mind at all if I have to continue wearing it, just as long as the swelling, heaviness and tightness stays gone.

For those of you with doubts about the surgery - I totally get it. I heard of LVA years ago but was so told by so many doctors and therapists that I shouldn't risk worsening my condition. But my LE was quickly worsening on it's own.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone with lymphedema, whether newly diagnosed, primary or secondary.

I'm sending lots of positive, healing energy and prayers to those of you about to undergo the procedure, healing from a procedure or just researching for answers and looking for some relief and hope.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-06-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread