It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board

• mild lymphedema treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
    kristi800
    (female)

kristi800 HB User
    mild lymphedema treatment

I was diagnosed with lymphedema at age 13. At that time, my left ankle/foot was puffy/swollen, but not horribly so - just a bit puffy. I was told to wear a compression garment, which, or course, I was mortified to do at age 13. I never really wore it, and my mild lymphedema never really worsened.

Lately, however, in the past couple of years, I'm noticing it getting worse. When I fly in an airplane, it gets bad (from the pressure?), or if I am on my feet in hot/humid weather, or if I exercise a lot (ie biking for an hour or more), both of my feet/ankles swell, and I can gain up to 5 lbs by the day following the air travel/exercise/heat. The extra fluid remains in my legs/feet for up to a week, particularly in the summer. The swelling is not only ugly, but makes my shoes painful, and lately even my knees are achy. So - I think it's time to take action, but what should I do?

I am a very busy single working mom of 3, so lymphatic massage near daily really isn't a viable option (can't spare the time or cost).

I was thinking to start off with thigh-high compression socks at night, particularly after a day when I've done anything that typically causes the swelling. Will this help at all? What are some other options? Supplements/herbs? foods to include in my diet? I've seem lymph massaging machines. I'd be willing to invest in something like that if it'll be worth it. Does anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2015 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread