It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphedema Message Board

• questions about lymphedema

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
    saltydawgs
    (female)

saltydawgs HB User
    questions about lymphedema

Hello,
    First time posting in this section and I am very confused. I had rotator cuff surgery almost six months ago and I am still having lots of problems. This surgery was necessary after an injury. I separated a fight at the school I teach at and arm was injured. I think my surgeon doesn't know what to do anymore, so I will give a short version of what has been done. After the surgery I followed every direction give. I did every PT as directed, wore the sling all the time for six weeks, did not use the arm at all except as directed in PT. Everything seemed to be going ok until they started doing strength exercises with the bands and small weights. This is when the swelling started. At first I wasn't sure if I was just imagining the swelling. Then you could see a real difference but it would go away at night. Now my arm, neck, and fingers stay swollen all of the time, but get worse if I am up walking or try to move the arm.

The doctor thought it might be nerve or vascular damage, so I was sent for these tests. The nerve test showed some damage but he feels it will go away when the swelling does. The vascular test ruled out blood clots which was a major concern, but I have not met back with the doctor for complete results. I was sent for a consult for a compression sleeve and the doctor says my arm looks like I have lymphedema. He took measurements and recommended that I get a sleeve and glove to wear during the day.

My question is does this sound like lymphedema? Do I need to find a doctor for this condition or will the sleeve help control it. I have very little range of motion in the arm and can not lift really anything over a pound or so with it. Can you get lymphedema from this type of injury or surgery? I have not had breast surgery, but I had a pretty extensive melanoma surgery over the breast area on this side about twenty years ago. The arm has been swollen for at least three months now. They took me off PT about a month ago to see if this would stop the swelling but it stays swollen all of the time now.
    Sorry for the long read, but just looking for any help or answers.
    Thanks In Advanced,
    Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread