It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• insidious back & chest pain with sore node

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
    HBHMB
    (male)

HBHMB HB User
    insidious back & chest pain with sore node

Hi All:

I appreciate your input and patience as I realize this board gets many posts similar to this.

I'm a < 50 yo male who is relatively healthy, a nonsmoker, and active. I have had chronic middle back pain (not of the musculoskeletal sort), chest pressure, and abdominal pain for 18 months. I have had a sore, but only slightly enlarged inguinal lymph node for the past 6 months. My pain comes and goes, but when my back, chest and abdomen are most painful, so is the inguinal lymph node. My back and neck are constantly tight and crack often and easily. These symptoms have become less intermittent and more continuous over time with peak discomfort periods occurring more often.

I have been seeing my doctor about this regularly and have repeated blood work (all normal, except low vit B12), thoracic and lumbar MRIs (unremarkable), abdominal ultrasound (unremarkable), urinalysis/culture (negative), lyme disease test (negative), GI parasite test (negative), celiac antibodies test (negative), H. pylori breathe test (negative), evoked potential test (normal), abdominal CT (unremarkable), colonoscopy (normal), endoscopy (found duodenitis).

My doctors have not been able to find a diagnosis that links all of my symptoms. Their current thought is the duodenitis is causing the chest pressure and back pain. However, like I said, all of my pains come and go together. Also, a month of stomach meds has not helped. My doctors are not concerned about the painful lymph node despite the fact it has been sore for 6 months now with no signs of other infections to which it may be reacting. A course of antibiotic did not help.

I am concerned that non-Hodgkin's lymphoma could potentially link all of my symptoms (back pain, chest pressure, abdominal pain, sore lymph node). I have not had night sweats, nor any weight loss, and my energy level is OK.

My doctor says he is not concerned about lymphoma, but I am. I have chronic pain and it seems that if my doctors cannot come up with a diagnosis, they are not concerned. This does not change the fact that I am in pain.

What is a logical next step that could provide evidence for or against a diagnosis of lymphoma? A chest CT scan? Biopsy the inguinal node? As a patient, can I insist on these tests and go against my doctor's opinion? Has anyone heard of, or experienced lymphoma with similar insidious symptoms?

Thanks for your input and support. I wish you all the best in health and life.

Rocco.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread