It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Hodgkin's It's not always lymphoma or even cancer!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
    lancejackie
    (female)

lancejackie HB User
    Smile It's not always lymphoma or even cancer!

I feel like all too often, all you read on these blogs is someone concerned about their health and people writing back saying donít worry about it, or "yes, please worry, I had the same symptoms and was diagnosed with cancer."
    Iím writing this because I am a hypochondriac, probably like many of the people reading this if they found this, and I want to give you hope.
    For about two months I battled with what I was positive was lymphoma. I had a giant lymph node in my groin that appeared out of nowhere. I was losing weight quickly, sweating profusely at night all of a sudden, tired, itchy all over for about a year (more on that later), and terrified. These are ALL symptoms of lymphoma and as far as I was concerned, I had it and just needed a doctor to prove it. I went to about 12 doctors, all of whom ran different tests or straight up kicked me out of their office. I couldnít understand why they were for the most part not taking me seriously. Ok, I am 28 and otherwise healthy, but it was making me insane that I was sure I had cancer. I had so many tests, blood tests, xrays, mri for back pain, sonogram of ovaries, abdomen, thyroid. YOU name it! I even got an LDH blood test that returned a result of 297 (non vitros). The normal range is 100-218 and I was 297, which even further pointed to Lymphoma.
    I finally went to a doctor who showed more empathy for me than most and scheduled a sonogram of the lymph node in the groin which proved that the lymph node was 2.5 centimeters. In the groin, any lymph node over 1.0-1.5cm is considered suspicious. I went on steroids to try to make it go down in size, but it did not. Finally we removed the whole thing to test it. I was already 2 months into this ďbattleĒ with little support for what to me seemed to be a quite factual self-diagnosis.
    Fast forward one week of waiting for the results, and the lymph node came back benign. It was enlarged due to eczema (the itching)!
    Iím floored. The point Iím trying to make is that sometimes allllll roads point to a certain diagnosis, and google certainly doesnít help. Doctors know what they are doing and google does not. Beyond that, I now have a better sense that hypochondria is an intense anxiety problem. No, I do not have cancer, and yes I am completely healthy. For anyone reading this who has symptoms or a story like me, there is hope. Donít plan your funeral, but please, do get off google and just let the doctors do the work. It will save you so much stress.
    XOXO Hypochondria survivor

Last edited by lancejackie; 12-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
    KT74
    Inactive
    (male)

KT74 HB User
    Re: It's not always lymphoma or even cancer!

I've always said Google is very good at telling you what could be wrong, but it doesn't ever tell you what is wrong with you. Too many people (these boards being a prime example) go onto the net and expect someone with no medical qualifications whatsoever to diagnose them over the net. With zero physical examination involved. Whether it's to tell them there's nothing wrong or they have 'X' medical condition, people expect answers. When you take a step back, it's completely ridiculous.

There's a reason why medical professionals take years to learn their trade and why medical certificates don't get handed out because they happened to read up on something for a day or 2 on google. Google serves a purpose, though, and that purpose is it allows you to go to your GP with information that may be worth investigating further. Or if you HAVE been diagnosed with a condition or disease, it can provide information and places to seek support from either similar sufferers or from organizations.

We as humans too have a tendency to pick out the only canary in a nest of crows. We home in on the worst case scenario whilst ignoring all the less and more likely non serious conditions. Hell, got a bruise on your arm? Google it and you have blood cancer. Got a sore head that's hung around for a day or 2? You've got a brain tumor and so on.

There's only a certain amount of things that can go wrong in each part of your body and because they share the same structures, the chances are symptoms will be very similar to each ailment that can inflict that body part. Like in the colon for example, pain, bleeding, mucus etc are part of a number of diseases, but people come on here and ask non medical professionals, that aren't even in a position to give them an examination (not that they're even qualified to do so) if they have colon cancer. The only thing that's gonna tell that person if s/he has colon cancer is by having a camera up there and a biopsy taken if something gets found.

The mind also plays a large part in some things too. For example, years ago I banged my head, got sent to A&E for an X ray. X ray came back saying they had found something suspicious on my skull (not related to the head knock) and that I'd require further tests in the coming days. For the next few days I had pain where I thought it was and was convinced I had something serious. Went for an MRI and CT and the neuro doc said what they found was a normal structure and were baffled why anyone would think it looked abnormal. The pain went away hours later. The issue was also on my right sided part of the skull not on the left where i thought it had been and where i thought the pain was coming from.

Last edited by KT74; 12-13-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    enlarged lymph nodes, lymph node groin, lymphoma, lymphoma anxiety