It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Lymphoma?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
    Angelmouse97
    (female)

Angelmouse97 HB User
    Unhappy Lymphoma?

Hey guys! I'm posting on behalf of my boyfriend to try and get some understanding and advice from you all about what he's going through. So recently he found a swollen gland in his neck which we put down to him recently having a bad cough, but he was extremely anxious and on edge at all times, terrified it was something worse. All was well. Then he found a small lump in his groin, quite mobile when pressed but not painful. Which sent alarm bells ringing for him, but to me I was still pretty relaxed and assured him it's most likely an infection and to go see a doctor. So he went to a private doctor and they sent him off for a full blood count, but I've been doing some research and read up on lymphoma and all that sort of stuff, and have been worrying myself by thinking he could have this. Weight wise, he's always been very slim for a guy, so I can't tell if he's lost any weight, he does sometimes get night sweats but he suffers from bad nightmares and sleep paralysis so this only occurs when that's happening. He has been complaining of a sore chest and is generally very worried about the whole thing. I've read that blood work rarely shows up anything to do with lymphoma. I just want him to cover everything so if it is something serious it can be caught early and treated. So my question is.. Does this sound familiar to any of you? Should I worry?? I'm sorry I just need somewhere to get advice and stuff because I really can't imagine life without him if it is something serious

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
    KT74
    Inactive
    (male)

KT74 HB User
    Re: Lymphoma?

I can almost guarantee you that if you go searching for lumps/swollen lymph nodes, you'll find a lump/swollen lymph nodes. Soft and movable lumps are almost always caused by some sort of reactive process - infection. Add to that, once a node becomes enlarged, it is very common for them to remain palpable to some extent for the rest of your life. I had an infection that caused 2 of my groin nodes to swell around 20ish years ago and they have never went back to their pre infection size. One is pea sized and the other just slightly larger. Same with neck nodes. I used to suffer badly from tonsillitis as a teen and some nodes on my neck are still very much palpable. What i'm saying, nodes can and do remain larger once any infection has passed.

Worrying and anxiety can give you chest pains and when you're suffering from health anxiety, you can feel pain that isn't actually there.

If the night sweats are new, then yeah, it would be worth checking out, however, if he's had them for years and they follow nightmares, then I wouldn't unduly worry. Try making your bedroom a little cooler if it's hot or overly warm.

Unless the nodes continue to get larger or more pop up, then the best thing he can do is to ignore them. Playing around with them all the time can also make them flare up a little.

Last edited by KT74; 12-31-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
    Angelmouse97
    (female)

Angelmouse97 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT74 View Post
    I can almost guarantee you that if you go searching for lumps/swollen lymph nodes, you'll find a lump/swollen lymph nodes. Soft and movable lumps are almost always caused by some sort of reactive process - infection. Add to that, once a node becomes enlarged, it is very common for them to remain palpable to some extent for the rest of your life. I had an infection that caused 2 of my groin nodes to swell around 20ish years ago and they have never went back to their pre infection size. One is pea sized and the other just slightly larger. Same with neck nodes. I used to suffer badly from tonsillitis as a teen and some nodes on my neck are still very much palpable. What i'm saying, nodes can and do remain larger once any infection has passed.

Worrying and anxiety can give you chest pains and when you're suffering from health anxiety, you can feel pain that isn't actually there.

If the night sweats are new, then yeah, it would be worth checking out, however, if he's had them for years and they follow nightmares, then I wouldn't unduly worry. Try making your bedroom a little cooler if it's hot or overly warm.

Unless the nodes continue to get larger or more pop up, then the best thing he can do is to ignore them. Playing around with them all the time can also make them flare up a little.
    Thank you so much for the reply, means a lot. The blood count came back clear so he has to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks, in the mean time they've put him on anti inflammatory medication. A few more have developed which is why I'm a bit worried, but they're extremely mobile. I'm still worrying but at least he will be going back to the doctor and hopefully they can get to the root of the problem. It's just so annoying because when you read about lymph nodes the first thing that comes up is cancer.

Last edited by Angelmouse97; 01-01-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
    KT74
    Inactive
    (male)

KT74 HB User

To put that into context, if you type bruising into your search engine, one of the first things that comes up is Leukemia, if you type blood when passing stool, the first thing that pops up is colon cancer and so on. "Cancer" is almost always the first thing google throws at you.

Google is a great tool when you have been diagnosed with a condition or you want to go armed with information to your doctor if your doctor runs into a dead end, it should not be used as a diagnostic tool by people. Google also only tells you what may be wrong with you, not what is wrong with you.

What i'm trying to say, there's 1001 things (and more) that can cause nodes to enlarge and lymphoma is only one of them. We home right in on that because it's the worst case scenario when in reality it's one of the rarer conditions that cause lymph enlargement.

People have been diagnosed with lymphoma and only had a single inconspicuous enlarged node, whilst many, many others have had multiple nodes and been diagnosed with less serious conditions. You won't find an answer online at this point, just needless stress and worry. I know it's easier said than done, but seriously, don't go searching out information that most of us on here aren't qualified to process in a proper manner.

Someone could come in this thread and say they had the same symptoms as your partner when they were diagnosed, but there will be a helluva lot more people that would say they had the same symptoms and it turned out to be nothing major.

He's doing the right thing by seeking out a doctor and there's nothing more he can do. Let them earn their pay.

Last edited by KT74; 01-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:05 AM   #5
    Angelmouse97
    (female)

Angelmouse97 HB User

I am posting this reply a few months later bevause things have been so hectic. My boyfriend has a heamotolagist appointment in March and I'm worried but the lumps haven't grown and no more have cropped up. The doctor he sees said they seem pretty normal but just to go to the appointment to give him a piece of mind. I'm quite scared but I'm really hoping it's a less serious thing going on, it's horrible. Thank you for your words X

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, general health, lymphoma