It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Non-Hodgkin's Please help! Should I be worried about these lymph nodes?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #1
    Akkora

Akkora HB User
    Please help! Should I be worried about these lymph nodes?

Hi all!

Around a year and a half ago I first noticed a palpable lymph node in my groin (it may have been there a lot longer). I can also feel a few in that side of my neck (I am quite thin), but this one is a lot bigger, around 1.5cm long. It is hard to tell exactly, but it seems to have gotten a few millilitres bigger since I first found it. It is movable and painless, and although it isnít rock hard it isnít too far off- itís very firm and rubbery (definitely not soft/flexible). The nodes in my neck are the same texture-wise.

Around 8 months ago I also found a much smaller groin node a couple of cm aside from the other, around 2mm long. It has the same texture, but the area gets tender when I poke around with it, and it feels like it might be fixed. I donít think it was there when I first felt the larger one a year and a half ago, and it also seems to have gotten larger and more prominent since I found it (although still small it may have doubled in size).

Neither feel Ďswollení as such- there is no visible bump out of the skin like I can see when I google photos of swollen nodes. If my legs were less thin I probably wouldnít be able to feel them at all.

I am most concerned about the hardness/rubberiness of them, as from what Iíve read a normal lymph node should always be soft and flexible, and also the fact that they feel slightly bigger than they were. I have had no infection that Iím aware of that wouldíve affected my groin area.

I went to see my GP about it, and she seemed quite concerned and asked me if I had any family with lymphoma. She also took some blood tests. She referred me to get an ultrasound and said she would refer me as a Ďpriorityí- however the receptionist told me that I had been referred for a non-urgent routine scan, which I read could take around 4.5 months.

I am very worried about this and I donít think I can wait that long, especially as Iíve read that lymphoma can be curable but only if itís found early which Iím guessing it still may be if I have it. I am considering paying for a private ultrasound as I could get one in around a week, but I am a student and it would be very expensive for me.

I would be grateful if anybody knows whether I should be concerned about this and go private, or whether waiting would be more sensible.

Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
    johnr11
    (male)

johnr11 has disabled reputation
    Re: Please help! Should I be worried about these lymph nodes?

Hi, you say you have had this raised node for over a year so it certainly cannot be an aggressive lymphoma as they grow quickly. If you have read about lymphoma then you should have picked this up if you are using reputable medical sites, as I don't know your country of origin its hard to offer a steer re good information. Lymphoma Action is a good UK charity that has lots of information you can read to help.
    Not sure why the doctor would ask about lymphoma in the family as its not a hereditary disease that can be passed on through a family line.
    An ultra sound and bloods are just the first step and depending on what they show it may lead to further tests, but they may also show everything is ok, the best advice I can offer is talk to your GP again and share your concerns. Lymph nodes can be raised for many reasons and sometimes they can be raised for a long time, some people report they never return to being small and un-noticable but they did not have lymphoma. So have that chat and put your mind at rest.

Last edited by johnr11; 03-23-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
    Akkora

Akkora HB User
    Re: Please help! Should I be worried about these lymph nodes?

Thank you very much for your response- itís good to hear that it wouldnít be an aggressive lymphoma, and that they can stay up for a long time and not necessarily be lymphoma. I will take your advice and talk to my gp about it again, and have a look at the website for that charity. Thanks again!

Reply Reply