It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Worried: Palpable node around collar bone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
    vs1988
    (male)

vs1988 HB User
    Worried: Palpable node around collar bone

Hi

I am a 15 year old male.

Is it possible to feel the lymph nodes around the collar bone? About two months ago, I discovered a node at the top left corner slightly above my collar bone. By looking at the area, it does not appear swollen, and I am a skinny person. When I feel it, it feels about the size of a large pea. However, it is the feel and location that scares me. It feels firm, not rock solid hard, but firm enough so that it does not "squish" like other nodes, and feels different than neighboring nodes. Also, I was reading through many websites, and they said that swollen nodes above the collar bone can be caused by lymphoma. I am extremely worried about this. I have not had any other symptoms, and it has been two months since I found this node. Can someone please give me any information or advice?

Thank you so much in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Worried: Palpable node around collar bone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vs1988
    Hi

I am a 15 year old male.

Is it possible to feel the lymph nodes around the collar bone? About two months ago, I discovered a node at the top left corner slightly above my collar bone. By looking at the area, it does not appear swollen, and I am a skinny person. When I feel it, it feels about the size of a large pea. However, it is the feel and location that scares me. It feels firm, not rock solid hard, but firm enough so that it does not "squish" like other nodes, and feels different than neighboring nodes. Also, I was reading through many websites, and they said that swollen nodes above the collar bone can be caused by lymphoma. I am extremely worried about this. I have not had any other symptoms, and it has been two months since I found this node. Can someone please give me any information or advice?

Thank you so much in advance.
    The first thing is that in a skinny person, lymph nodes can be detected quite easily in their naturally healthy state. Lymph nodes are designed to swell when they are doing the important job of defending your body against bacteria and viruses. At 15 a lot of people, guys and gals have problems with being exposed to a lot of other people at school and work who may be sick with the usual stuff of colds, flu and of course acne and etc. If you have a good immune system, your lymph nodes swell some if you are exposed to a flu or virus that is successfully fought off by your immune system. At 15 you can get the mononucleosis and not even know it if your immune system is good. There is no way to know if there is anything wrong with your health unless you have other symptoms that concern you. These symptoms are unusual tiredness, fever, weightloss of 10 pounds or more even if you are eating right, sweating for no reason(room is not hot and you have not been exercising) Itching skin. The itching skin is described as being willing to scratch a hole in your skin in order to stop the sensation. ( This goes beyond the usual tickle that every one gets sometimes.) Not all these symptoms happen together and some do not happen at all. A doctor has to do blood work, and a biopsy to confirm the presence of a disease if the lymph node gets larger or if you get additional nodes showing up other places. The best possible suggestion in this case is to keep an eye on this for about one month, if it is still a concern to you, then contact your doctor.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
    vs1988
    (male)

vs1988 HB User
    Re: Worried: Palpable node around collar bone

Thank you for your response marimac.

I tried to convince myself that maybe it was an infection back when I found it in early december, so I decided to give it a month to go away, and it didn't.

The thing that got to me was the fact that all the websites I was reading, kept saying that a swollen node near the collar bone can be caused by lymphoma.

My node is not really swollen; but rather it just feels hard and painless; and that is what I am afraid of.

Closed Thread