It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• HELP with CT SCAN!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
    jpan
    (female)

jpan HB User
    HELP with CT SCAN!!

I sort of have a complicated issue.... but I really would like some advice because I am worrying myself in to depression.

I had a baby last year in June which prompted some thyroid problems - goiter, hypothyroid. At first they thought I might just have postpartum thyroiditis, but I've developed some antibodies and now they think it might be hashimotos. I've had three ultrasounds done over the past months which show a diffuse, fairly heterogenous goiter. This last visit I had a CT scan done to check for adenopathy of the lymph nodes. At the time I had a really bad sinus infection, dizziness, etc. Anyway, the CT scan came back all pretty normal except for one part that reads:

"Inferior to the gland there are a few subcentimeter lymph nodes versus parathyroid glands"

A later summary "a few small subcentimeter lymph nodes in the perithyroidal region bilaterally"

So, now I'm all scared about having lymphoma or something. What exactly does subcentimeter mean? Could this be indicative of lymphoma or a precursor? Would my being sick with a sinus infection at the time make this diagnosis? Should there be any additional follow up or should I not worry about something of this nature? Is this an insignificant finding? Does anybody know where this location is? Is it below the thyroid?

Any help/opinion/information would be helpful as I am so worried about this. I have two small children to take care of and I can't seem to get any answers from my doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
    gregv
    Inactive
    (male)

gregv HB User
    Re: HELP with CT SCAN!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpan
    I sort of have a complicated issue.... but I really would like some advice because I am worrying myself in to depression.

I had a baby last year in June which prompted some thyroid problems - goiter, hypothyroid. At first they thought I might just have postpartum thyroiditis, but I've developed some antibodies and now they think it might be hashimotos. I've had three ultrasounds done over the past months which show a diffuse, fairly heterogenous goiter. This last visit I had a CT scan done to check for adenopathy of the lymph nodes. At the time I had a really bad sinus infection, dizziness, etc. Anyway, the CT scan came back all pretty normal except for one part that reads:

"Inferior to the gland there are a few subcentimeter lymph nodes versus parathyroid glands"

A later summary "a few small subcentimeter lymph nodes in the perithyroidal region bilaterally"

So, now I'm all scared about having lymphoma or something. What exactly does subcentimeter mean? Could this be indicative of lymphoma or a precursor? Would my being sick with a sinus infection at the time make this diagnosis? Should there be any additional follow up or should I not worry about something of this nature? Is this an insignificant finding? Does anybody know where this location is? Is it below the thyroid?

Any help/opinion/information would be helpful as I am so worried about this. I have two small children to take care of and I can't seem to get any answers from my doctors.
    Hi there,

Well first of all, if this was something to be worried about, wouldnt your doctor have talked to you or sent you for more tests or treatment after the CT scan findings? So it probably isnt anything bad, but if you are worried go to your doctor and demand answers to your questions to ease your mind.

I am no doctor but i belive inferior means below the thyroid gland and perhaps subcentimeter means smaller than a centimeter, but i am not sure about that one. Bilaterally i think means on on each side of the neck. And to me i would think that a sinus infection would enlarge certain lymph nodes of the neck and cause them to be larger than your normal size. This perhaps could have caused results on the CT.

Hope that helps and go back to your doc if you are worried.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #3
    jpan
    (female)

jpan HB User

well, his reply was kind of weird. I brought it up and he said, "yeah, I don't really know what that means - they kind of poo-pooed it, just mentioning - neither here nor there" . Whatever the heck that means.

He did send me for more blood tests for my thyroid since he was changing my medicine and I noticed after I had left that he had put a CBC work-up on there. He never discussed it with me in the office or told me he was going to do it or why. What can a CBC check for? There is no direct blood test for lymphoma is there? He never said that I would need further CT tests - only said that I would have follow up ultrasounds for the goiter issue in three months.

Also to note, this is a new endo. He is not the original one who ordered the CT scan. That was done by a different doctor who's office staff basically kicked me out of the office and none of them would ever give me the results of my CT scan or my ultrasound. So, my journey has been a bit difficult. When I got in to this guy, I had so many questions to ask about everything, and he was going so fast, there was so much more about the CT scan that i didn't even get to ask. but i was the one who even brought it up.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    well, his reply was kind of weird. I brought it up and he said, "yeah, I don't really know what that means - they kind of poo-pooed it, just mentioning - neither here nor there" . Whatever the heck that means.

He did send me for more blood tests for my thyroid since he was changing my medicine and I noticed after I had left that he had put a CBC work-up on there. He never discussed it with me in the office or told me he was going to do it or why. What can a CBC check for? There is no direct blood test for lymphoma is there? He never said that I would need further CT tests - only said that I would have follow up ultrasounds for the goiter issue in three months.

Also to note, this is a new endo. He is not the original one who ordered the CT scan. That was done by a different doctor who's office staff basically kicked me out of the office and none of them would ever give me the results of my CT scan or my ultrasound. So, my journey has been a bit difficult. When I got in to this guy, I had so many questions to ask about everything, and he was going so fast, there was so much more about the CT scan that i didn't even get to ask. but i was the one who even brought it up.
    I would like to echo the thoughts of the other posters. According to what you have written, the ct scan apparently revealed some lymph nodes less than a centimeter in an area that probably would not have been noticed if there were not infection present. The CBC will show the doctor if there is an active infection and if your body is making the appropriate response. If the body is making the appropriate response, your lymphocytes, eosinophils and basophils will be slightly elevated, monocytes will probably get in on some of the action. These would be normal reactions to a common infection. If anything is amiss on the CBC it would cue the doctor to order more tests or medications. So far there is nothing to get too worried about it yet and especially avoid stress while the investigation is going on because that will lower your resistance to other infections. I know, easier said than done.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
    gregv
    Inactive
    (male)

gregv HB User

Quote:

Hey there,

Well if you are confident that everything is o.k. then dont worry about it. But if you really want go back to both doctors and be stern. Ask them seriously and make sure they give you a proper answer.

Also a CBC measures your white blood cell count, antibodies and complement components all part of the immune system. It isnt a direct way to get a verdict on lymphoma ( i think you need a biopsy of the lymph node) but it can give you an idea something is wrong. If your white blood cell count is high then it could infer lymphoma but could also be a regular infection. Good luck.

Greg

Old 03-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #6
    jpan
    (female)

jpan HB User

I guess my other question is, can't people have lymph nodes that are slightly larger (not considered enlarged) and still be normal? I mean could this be a normal situation? Also, if I have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease (antibodies attacking thyroid) could that cause some of my lymph nodes to be somewhat larger? Would below my thyroid be a place that lymph nodes would enlarge due to a sinus infection/bad cold type of thing?

Plus, the original CT scan was done 3 to 4 weeks ago. Him doing blood tests, CBC, etc. right now isn't going to show any infection - I'm not sick anymore. So are you saying that, if the blood tests show elevated levels that it may be indicative of something else, ie cancer or whatever, instead of them just being larger than normal because I was sick at the time?

Also, regarding the itching symptom of Lymphoma - to what degree is that? What type of itching? Is it all over the body or in one place?

There are just so many things up in the air - how do they come to make a decision? Do you just have to let time go by until you get worse and worse, if it is cancer, until they then do the tests to confirm?

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it. I'm really scared and haven't been able to get anyone to tell me anything. I feel so helpless.

Old 03-11-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
    gregv
    Inactive
    (male)

gregv HB User

Quote:
    I guess my other question is, can't people have lymph nodes that are slightly larger (not considered enlarged) and still be normal? I mean could this be a normal situation? Also, if I have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease (antibodies attacking thyroid) could that cause some of my lymph nodes to be somewhat larger? Would below my thyroid be a place that lymph nodes would enlarge due to a sinus infection/bad cold type of thing?

Plus, the original CT scan was done 3 to 4 weeks ago. Him doing blood tests, CBC, etc. right now isn't going to show any infection - I'm not sick anymore. So are you saying that, if the blood tests show elevated levels that it may be indicative of something else, ie cancer or whatever, instead of them just being larger than normal because I was sick at the time?

Also, regarding the itching symptom of Lymphoma - to what degree is that? What type of itching? Is it all over the body or in one place?

There are just so many things up in the air - how do they come to make a decision? Do you just have to let time go by until you get worse and worse, if it is cancer, until they then do the tests to confirm?

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate it. I'm really scared and haven't been able to get anyone to tell me anything. I feel so helpless.
    hey there again,

well i hope you are feeling better. I kinda have the same question as you. Cant some people have larger than normal lymph nodes? It seems that this can be a possibility. You know like someone who has many allergies. These people i am sure have lymph nodes always somewhat swollen. I am sure there are some people that just have larger nodes than others.

My guess if is if you have antibodies attacking your thyroid you would have swollen nodes. Antibodies are produce by B cells in respnse to T helper cells. These are white blood cells circulating in the lymphatic system ( i learnt this in my immunology class at university) So i would imagine that these would cause larger nodes, probably in your neck near the thyroid gland.

I am not sure exactly what nodes would swell in response to a sinus infection. But they would definitely be in the neck. THis is near your thyroid gland and so a swollen node there is a possibility.

Also i think if you are healthy that a blood count three weeks after an infection should show pretty normal levels. I think that a blood test with a high WBC count could be indicative of lymphoma as you would increase your WBC in attempt to kill these cancer cells. But on the same token a high WBC cound could again be from a minor infection you dont even know you have.

I dont know much about the itching but i think it is itching to the point where you want to rip your skin off. NOt you normal itch that goes away after you scratch it.

I think a blood test is done if there are swollen nodes as a precaution for lymphoma. But the only for sure way to diagnose lymphoma is to do a biopsy. To cut out the suspicious node and examine it under the microscope for cancer cells.

I hope this answers your questions. If this reassures you then good and get on with life. It is too good to pass up. If you are still worried after reading this then get to the doctor and tell him you want more info or tests done. If he/she is stubborn then find a new one that will give you a thorough exam and take your worry away. I hope the best for you.

Greg

Old 03-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:

Lymph nodes sometimes will swell in response to an infection but will not return all the way back to normal size. It has to do with the fact that they capture germs and bacteria and hold them there to prevent the spread of disease. Just look at them as being those little trash bags that you hang on your door handle in your car. Not too big but nice to have around if something icky needs to be disposed of. Your blood cells will contain evidence of a previous disease or infection for up to 120 days in some cases. The white blood cells travel from blood to tissue and then back to blood sometimes. The blood cells change shape and emit different colors under different testing solutions sort of like finger prints. So yes the doctors will be able to get a clue about what is going on at least enough to know whether to do more invasive testing or not. As for itching, a lot of people who get lymphoma do not itch or if they have itching it is restricted to one area on the body, like a leg or top of a foot etc. Others will have severe itching that keeps them awake at night. Itching is sort of a wild card symptom that should not be considered until after a biopsy has confirmed lymphoma.

Old 03-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #9
    jpan
    (female)

jpan HB User

I wanted to thank you both for your replies - i truly appreciate your thoughts as this has been difficult for me and I can't seem to get anyone to return phone calls after you leave the doctors office.

The nurse called me today and said that my CBC and comp panel results all came back normal except for a creatinine? or bun creatinine. She had a thick accent and I couldn't really understand her. Anyway, she said normal is from 6-19 and mine was a 20. She said this could just be from not drinking enough water, and actually I did my blood tests at 3:00 and I hadn't eaten anything since early breakfast or drank anything the whole day except coffee. It was one of those days.... She did say that the nodes were bilateral so I guess that is a good thing and she also said that for diseases like Hashimoto's (which I have where your body makes antibodies to the thyroid and attacks it), she said the nodes will often be involved because it thinks its fighting something off. So, that seems to make sense to me.... it just seems like there should have been some plan for a follow up. He did say he would be doing another ultrasound in 3 months, but I thought that was just for my goiter/thyroid - I didn't know if ultrasounds could detect enlarged lymph nodes.

Well, I'm trying not to worry about it. Sounds like for now, its just my body reacting to my body attacking my thyroid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marimac
    Lymph nodes sometimes will swell in response to an infection but will not return all the way back to normal size. It has to do with the fact that they capture germs and bacteria and hold them there to prevent the spread of disease. Just look at them as being those little trash bags that you hang on your door handle in your car. Not too big but nice to have around if something icky needs to be disposed of. Your blood cells will contain evidence of a previous disease or infection for up to 120 days in some cases. The white blood cells travel from blood to tissue and then back to blood sometimes. The blood cells change shape and emit different colors under different testing solutions sort of like finger prints. So yes the doctors will be able to get a clue about what is going on at least enough to know whether to do more invasive testing or not. As for itching, a lot of people who get lymphoma do not itch or if they have itching it is restricted to one area on the body, like a leg or top of a foot etc. Others will have severe itching that keeps them awake at night. Itching is sort of a wild card symptom that should not be considered until after a biopsy has confirmed lymphoma.

Old 03-12-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
    gregv
    Inactive
    (male)

gregv HB User

Quote:
    I wanted to thank you both for your replies - i truly appreciate your thoughts as this has been difficult for me and I can't seem to get anyone to return phone calls after you leave the doctors office.

The nurse called me today and said that my CBC and comp panel results all came back normal except for a creatinine? or bun creatinine. She had a thick accent and I couldn't really understand her. Anyway, she said normal is from 6-19 and mine was a 20. She said this could just be from not drinking enough water, and actually I did my blood tests at 3:00 and I hadn't eaten anything since early breakfast or drank anything the whole day except coffee. It was one of those days.... She did say that the nodes were bilateral so I guess that is a good thing and she also said that for diseases like Hashimoto's (which I have where your body makes antibodies to the thyroid and attacks it), she said the nodes will often be involved because it thinks its fighting something off. So, that seems to make sense to me.... it just seems like there should have been some plan for a follow up. He did say he would be doing another ultrasound in 3 months, but I thought that was just for my goiter/thyroid - I didn't know if ultrasounds could detect enlarged lymph nodes.

Well, I'm trying not to worry about it. Sounds like for now, its just my body reacting to my body attacking my thyroid.
    Hi there,

Well it is no problem for me to answer some of your questions. I am no doctor but do know a little about science and the body from university. I sure hope your lymph nodes are fine, and i agree with you on this one. I do think they are from your thyroid problem.

I think you should call your doc if you are still worried and if not (which i think you should be fine now) wait until you see him in three months. I believe that an ultrasound can indeed show lymph nodes that are enlarged but is not as accurate as a CT scan. But also not as expensive.

As for what the nurse said. I believe she was talking about creatine. I think this is a substance your body makes when it wants to store some ATP or energy. tHen uses it when there is a shortage. You can also get it from your diet from fish and i think red meats. You often hear about weightlifters taking it to increase their muscles. I know when they are on it they need to drink a sh*%load of water. So this could be what the nurse was talking about in relation to water. Just type into the search engine to learn more.

Anyway everything sounds positive, so good for you. Get on an enjoy life cause when they say life it short, it is true. When things like this happen you get a better outlook on life and appreciate your health. After all without your health you cant enjoy all the great things in life. So get on with it and dont think about it until your next appointment. good luck!!!!

Greg

Closed Thread