It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Swollen Lymph Nodes everywhere

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User
    Exclamation Swollen Lymph Nodes everywhere

Hello, I am new here. This is my first time posting, but I have been actively reading for about 3 to 4 days now.

I have been reading galore. Everything on the internet scares the daylights out of me. I just need for someone to give me an idea of anything OTHER than Lymphoma that my symptoms sound like.

So this is what I am feeling now and then I will give you the history (incase you don’t have time to read a novel):

Firstly, I am 29 years old.

Lymph nodes – the ones in my armpit are tender (4 in left armpit - 2 to 3 in right), same with whatever is going on under my chin (I think I feel one underneath, sore also). I can’t tell with the neck (I have 2, neither seem to be sore but I was directed to them by a feeling in that area (hence how I found them), and there are 4 in my groin but they are not tender - doesn’t seem to be bothersome at all.

I am very bone weary. My mind isn’t tired but my body is. I have stomach pains (that the doctor told me that he thought it was healing my c-section surgery 6 months ago with Ibuprofen and it ulcerated my stomach) and back pains (but my baby weighs 20lbs and I am only 99lbs).

I am very scared. I have a brand new 6-month-old daughter. Are these doctors (the story in full is below) able to tell by palpation rather or not they think it could be Lymphoma or not? I just don’t feel like there is enough concern. No one has even taken a full workup of blood yet! I thought that would be the first thing they would have done, procedure-wise. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me. I am working myself up into a tizzy.

***Here is my plight & past history now:

I just had a baby 6 months ago. I had a c-section. Since then my body has gone through a long, arduous haul and I still don’t particularly feel like all is “normal” from digestion stuff to incision site.

About 2 to 2.5 months ago I noticed a lump in my breast. I went to my GYN and he said he thought it was a clogged duct, so we treated it as so. About a week later I found lumps around my breasts that I knew were swollen lymph nodes – went back to my GYN and he still thought they were clogged milk ducts, as did 2 lactation nurses. Happy with what I heard, I left, but I knew better in my heart of hearts.

A week after that I called a lactation nurse and she agreed with me that I would have been sick as a dog with full blown mastitis by that point and directed me to see an internal medicine doctor, so I did. She looked me all over and said she “wasn’t concerned” she could tell that my nipples were irritated from breastfeeding and to come back in a month if nothing had changed.

About a week or two after that I found 2 lumps on my neck. I went and saw a different doctor and he said he wasn’t concerned about the one on my neck because it was “small” (and he never could feel the other one). As for the lymph nodes in the axillary area, he only found one on the left. This is amazing because there are about 4 in the left and 2 or 3 in the right armpits. He felt my groin and felt nothing. However, he referred me to a surgeon.

Now that I am home, I have found 4 lymph nodes in the groin and (I think) 2 under the chin – I also think I might have one in my back? Now I am pretty panic-stricken.

Thank you in advance, and again, any advice would be sooo helpful.

Last edited by HallowsEve; 04-30-2004 at 08:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
    Re: Swollen Lymph Nodes everywhere

there are so many things that i would like to say to you to help.
    i am going to do a looooonnnnngggggg story short, but you will get the jist.

first and foremost lymphoma is pretty rare. it really is. second of all even though i just said that i know a younger girl (27) who had beat it. she is doing great.
    the next thought is that a blood panel would answer a lot of these questions. i would just get one to ease your mind. as far as your nodes being swollen, i dont think its cancer related, i think it is new mom related. your body is under the biggest stress it has ever been under. you had a huge trama to your body with the c-section. you were opened up to a lot of nasties that your body could still be fighting off. you are a new mom with lack of sleep which severly depresses your immune system. if you are nursing you are giving every thing you have to your milk and if your diet isnt up to snuff, your body is lacking there too.

i know a little about this as i had a horrible 31 hour labor and delivery that almost killed my son and i. i developed an infection in my uterus that made me septic. here is the long story part but after a lot of meds, crying, praying and fighting my son an i finally got better. we got to come home and it was wonderful. 6 weeks later i got a stomach ache. i finally went to the doctor after 2 days. he thought it was my appendix. it wasnt as they found out in an emergency surgery. it was my colon. an infection called typhlitis. typhlitis is mostly seen in people with AIDS or Leukemia. in fact it was implied that i had one of the 2 because of the seriousness of this infection. they ruled out leukemia........ i had to go get tested for HIV. it was so awful i was sure that i was +. i am not. the doctors do not know how or why i got that infection. they dont think it will ever come back. i am now so afraid that i will get sick like that and die. that i will leave my son. he is 10 months.

i think as mothers we are so obsessed about being with our babies that we fret over every thing wrong with us. i know that i have changed so very very much in regards to my life. i know what you are feeling and you can only do what you can do. be agressive about finding out what is wrong, if anything. then you need to put it behind you and relax. this maybe how your body works to fight stress and infection. good luck.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
    STIGMATA666

STIGMATA666 HB User

Yes Your Body Has Been Under Alot Of Stress.lymph Nodes Swell For Various Reasons,but I Would Say U Have Most Likely Contracted A Slight Infection Following Your C-section Which Has Caused Them To Swell.
    Also If The Small Lump In Your Breast Was PainFULL Its 99% Likely It Wouldnt Be Breast Cancer,as Cancerous Lumps Are Normally Painless.
    And If You Did Have Breast Cancer (which Is Unlikely) It Would Have To Be Fairly Advanced For It To Spread To The Lymphatic System.
    Try And Get An Ultrasound If You Are Really Concerned,as It Is Less Costly Than Other Procedures,so Your Doctor Is More Likelt To Refer You.

Last edited by STIGMATA666; 05-01-2004 at 06:22 AM.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

Thank you very much for your insight. I am also so sorry to hear your story about you and your son, Nyxin.

I have been doing a lot of “homework” on the topic and covering other groundwork such as Lupus and CFS, etc., searching for anything…“searching” (as in Googling) everything.

I have a number of curiosities, though – maybe you can help me…

Is it feasible that stress can play a part in swollen lymph nodes? Doesn’t seem viable, BUT since I have had my daughter my family has had a tremendous amount of bad news: step dad got prostate cancer, MIL’s S.O. got throat cancer, aunt found a brain tumor, an uncle’s great nephew found out he has lymphoma, another uncle had a very bad flare-up of Crohn’s --- stress is my middle name right now.

I read somewhere online that “bracing” can cause lymph nodes to swell. I have TMJ disorder – I get excruciating headaches – and do my fair share of bruxing and tensing. And if that weren’t bad enough, I also get Barometric headaches when the pressure changes (every time it rains!). Within the last few months I have had them twice a week, each putting me in pain for 3 days at a time (doing the math that, essentially, leaves one day headache free, and even then there is stiffness).

Then I wondered about hormones. I asked the last doctor I saw and he said no, but I haven’t had a menses since February 2003 and I know my hormones haven’t been too kind to me, either. Not to mention that I am trying to wean my daughter since all of these things have started to occur for a plethora of reasons.

That’s the major question I have right now, if stress can play a part at all in swollen lymph nodes. (I have a googol, but I’ll stick to one at a time. )

Thank you again, greatly.

Old 05-02-2004, 06:35 AM   #5
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

hello again. to answer your question the best i can, stress weakens your immune system. in fact stress is kind of the mold if you will that weakens everything, opening the door for bad things to come in. your immune system is already down because of a c-sectiom, a new baby and lack of sleep to name a few.

i have to tell you that last night as i was trying to fall asleep i got a pain in my left ovary area. for some reason i thought of it being a lymphnode and then the panic set in. i dont even know where the nodes are in the groin, but i was convinced that i was dying, yet again. i think i mentioned my illnes anxiety? anyway, i can truly say i can now relate to your fear emotionally wise.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

Well, anxiety has been tumultuous for me over the last 6 to 9 months, but I have always been an overzealous person who doesn’t submit well to lethargy (which is what recuperating was, for me). I only had one week of help when my Mother was here and then I was on my own after the c-section, so you are probably very right about how rundown and depleted my immune system is. I still would suspect to have gotten sick by this point, though, with swollen lymph nodes scattered throughout my entire body.

I spoke to my Aunt who said that my cousin had swollen lymph nodes all throughout his body once years ago and that his doctor said it was “related to hormones”. I asked this last doctor if that could be the case and he said, “No”. Now I am not sure if they can play a part, or not.

My glands are swollen as of this weekend, however. And last night we went out to visit friends and when we walked out to see their horses in the stable, the got so swollen that swallowing was a task. As soon as we were almost into the city they went back down. That had to be associated with pollens or something – allergies. Though… I have never battled that before.

*** Another curiosity I had was:
    Lymph runs back into the blood and eventually returns to the heart, right? How bad is this for your heart I wonder? I eat pretty healthy: Kashi, oatmeal, organically pretty much (due to breastfeeding), but I was really wondering how having swollen lymph nodes for over a couple months would stress your heart seeing as the fats that get stored is also associated. This, conversely, is only something I was wondering because I am just curious by nature.

Lymph nodes are all over the groin area, but between the trunk of the leg and hip spreading up & down the torso and thighs they are felt pretty easily, I believe.

Last edited by HallowsEve; 05-02-2004 at 10:47 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HallowsEve
    Well, anxiety has been tumultuous for me over the last 6 to 9 months, but I have always been an overzealous person who doesn’t submit well to lethargy (which is what recuperating was, for me). I only had one week of help when my Mother was here and then I was on my own after the c-section, so you are probably very right about how rundown and depleted my immune system is. I still would suspect to have gotten sick by this point, though, with swollen lymph nodes scattered throughout my entire body.

I spoke to my Aunt who said that my cousin had swollen lymph nodes all throughout his body once years ago and that his doctor said it was “related to hormones”. I asked this last doctor if that could be the case and he said, “No”. Now I am not sure if they can play a part, or not.

My glands are swollen as of this weekend, however. And last night we went out to visit friends and when we walked out to see their horses in the stable, the got so swollen that swallowing was a task. As soon as we were almost into the city they went back down. That had to be associated with pollens or something – allergies. Though… I have never battled that before.

*** Another curiosity I had was:
    Lymph runs back into the blood and eventually returns to the heart, right? How bad is this for your heart I wonder? I eat pretty healthy: Kashi, oatmeal, organically pretty much (due to breastfeeding), but I was really wondering how having swollen lymph nodes for over a couple months would stress your heart seeing as the fats that get stored is also associated. This, conversely, is only something I was wondering because I am just curious by nature.

Lymph nodes are all over the groin area, but between the trunk of the leg and hip spreading up & down the torso and thighs they are felt pretty easily, I believe.
    Actually the lymphatic system removes impurities from the blood and has its own circulatory system. The heart pumps oxygenated blood throughout the body and then oxygen depleted blood returns back to be re-oxygenated. The lungs, kidneys also play a part in this process. Fats get stored in the major organs, and fatty deposits can grow on and around the heart muscle. However, the major problems with fats is the kind that stores in the arteries and veins turning into plaque and decreasing the size of the blood vessels to pump the blood. The heart gets into stress from any reason and is called on to pump harder and it is like trying to blow up an auto tire by mouth, it gets impossible. But to go back to the question. The lymphatics system has its own circulation system apart from the heart.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
    simone1

simone1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HallowsEve
    Hello, I am new here. This is my first time posting, but I have been actively reading for about 3 to 4 days now.

I have been reading galore. Everything on the internet scares the daylights out of me. I just need for someone to give me an idea of anything OTHER than Lymphoma that my symptoms sound like.

So this is what I am feeling now and then I will give you the history (incase you don’t have time to read a novel):

Firstly, I am 29 years old.

Lymph nodes – the ones in my armpit are tender (4 in left armpit - 2 to 3 in right), same with whatever is going on under my chin (I think I feel one underneath, sore also). I can’t tell with the neck (I have 2, neither seem to be sore but I was directed to them by a feeling in that area (hence how I found them), and there are 4 in my groin but they are not tender - doesn’t seem to be bothersome at all.

I am very bone weary. My mind isn’t tired but my body is. I have stomach pains (that the doctor told me that he thought it was healing my c-section surgery 6 months ago with Ibuprofen and it ulcerated my stomach) and back pains (but my baby weighs 20lbs and I am only 99lbs).

I am very scared. I have a brand new 6-month-old daughter. Are these doctors (the story in full is below) able to tell by palpation rather or not they think it could be Lymphoma or not? I just don’t feel like there is enough concern. No one has even taken a full workup of blood yet! I thought that would be the first thing they would have done, procedure-wise. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me. I am working myself up into a tizzy.

***Here is my plight & past history now:

I just had a baby 6 months ago. I had a c-section. Since then my body has gone through a long, arduous haul and I still don’t particularly feel like all is “normal” from digestion stuff to incision site.

About 2 to 2.5 months ago I noticed a lump in my breast. I went to my GYN and he said he thought it was a clogged duct, so we treated it as so. About a week later I found lumps around my breasts that I knew were swollen lymph nodes – went back to my GYN and he still thought they were clogged milk ducts, as did 2 lactation nurses. Happy with what I heard, I left, but I knew better in my heart of hearts.

A week after that I called a lactation nurse and she agreed with me that I would have been sick as a dog with full blown mastitis by that point and directed me to see an internal medicine doctor, so I did. She looked me all over and said she “wasn’t concerned” she could tell that my nipples were irritated from breastfeeding and to come back in a month if nothing had changed.

About a week or two after that I found 2 lumps on my neck. I went and saw a different doctor and he said he wasn’t concerned about the one on my neck because it was “small” (and he never could feel the other one). As for the lymph nodes in the axillary area, he only found one on the left. This is amazing because there are about 4 in the left and 2 or 3 in the right armpits. He felt my groin and felt nothing. However, he referred me to a surgeon.

Now that I am home, I have found 4 lymph nodes in the groin and (I think) 2 under the chin – I also think I might have one in my back? Now I am pretty panic-stricken.

Thank you in advance, and again, any advice would be sooo helpful.
    hi, i also suffer from swollen lymph nodes, but unlike you i only get them on the back of my head/neck in the occipital region.

my mum first noticed them when i was about 1, the doctor said it was nothing to really worry about, just the bodies way of fighting infection!

she noticed that everytime i suffered from a cold,virus,tonsillitis etc. these lumps would pop up. as i got older and eventually had my tonsills out they appear more frequently.
    1 doctor told me they where insect bites!!

ive never been given any advice, just told to take pain killers and wait for them to go away, easy for the doctor to say, he's not the 1 with painful big lumps sticking out from his head. i do worry about what they are or could be in the future, as i too am a mum to a 2yr old, i think it's time i sought a refferal, i thought it was just me who suffered from this problem with excruciating pain.

i hope things get sorted out for you.

Old 05-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. ::curtsy::

You pose a good question I have already postulated within the last week (as you can tell, I am searching under every rock for … something other than the big C).

Can allergies make your lymph nodes swell?

I have never had allergies, and I never knew that you could begin to have them well into you 60’s and stop having them well into your 60’s, but I was told this by some friends who are allergy sufferers. Conversely, this past weekend I drove out to the pseudo country to visit relatives and while out there they walked us out to the stables to see their horses. From the house to the stables my “glands” got very, very large and spongy, and at one point I had a hard time swallowing. Truth be told, I was elated! I thought, ‘This is going to be it! I am going to have Strep or something, and THIS will be why I have these lymph nodes!’ But 3/4ths of the way back into the city they were down again.

I bought a new vehicle just a few weeks ago, and the first week it was home (and I was showing it off to friends & family) I had to wash it 3 times because every morning it was COVERED in yellow pollen. Could I be having this because of Spring you think?

I am a native Floridian and moved here 2 years ago. I don’t recall this happening last spring, though…

Closed Thread