It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Other causes of Swollen Lymph Nodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User
    Question Other causes of Swollen Lymph Nodes

I have been thinking about these swollen lymph nodes (ramped in my armpits and beside breasts, one in neck, possibly 3 in groin) and I was just wondering if a gastrointestinal ulcer or an ulcerated gastrointestinal tract could cause them to swell???

I healed my c-section with Ibuprofen instead of painkillers (given as an option at the hospital). I took 800 mgs a day for quite sometime, but I also have TMJ and the only medicine to knock out the headaches is Migraine Ibuprofen, so I took it much longer after the postpartum period – the last doctor I saw thinks my stomach troubles are from that.

Is there any chance that my lymph nodes would be swollen because of this? They are mostly in my armpits and around my breasts. They are not painful anymore. They are not fixed because they roll all over in there, but I continue to find them in the same place each time. However, every now and again I DO feel pain over there and my hand leads me right to a pulse. Could one of the lymph nodes be pressing on a vein? (Too many questions for one post…)

My question is whether an ulcerated gastrointestinal tract could be THE “infection” causing this?

(I have read all over the internet and my symptoms mirror Leukemia more than Lymphoma. I have an appt. with a surgeon on Tuesday, but everyday that I feel like poo is another day I search for answers somewhere.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: Other causes of Swollen Lymph Nodes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HallowsEve
    I have been thinking about these swollen lymph nodes (ramped in my armpits and beside breasts, one in neck, possibly 3 in groin) and I was just wondering if a gastrointestinal ulcer or an ulcerated gastrointestinal tract could cause them to swell???

I healed my c-section with Ibuprofen instead of painkillers (given as an option at the hospital). I took 800 mgs a day for quite sometime, but I also have TMJ and the only medicine to knock out the headaches is Migraine Ibuprofen, so I took it much longer after the postpartum period – the last doctor I saw thinks my stomach troubles are from that.

Is there any chance that my lymph nodes would be swollen because of this? They are mostly in my armpits and around my breasts. They are not painful anymore. They are not fixed because they roll all over in there, but I continue to find them in the same place each time. However, every now and again I DO feel pain over there and my hand leads me right to a pulse. Could one of the lymph nodes be pressing on a vein? (Too many questions for one post…)

My question is whether an ulcerated gastrointestinal tract could be THE “infection” causing this?

(I have read all over the internet and my symptoms mirror Leukemia more than Lymphoma. I have an appt. with a surgeon on Tuesday, but everyday that I feel like poo is another day I search for answers somewhere.)
    Many over the counter pain medications will cause a reaction from lymph nodes. An ulcerated gastric system will definitely keep your nodes jumping. There are numerous lymphnodes in and around the gastrointestinal tract. This is a dense area where infection will occur if it is gonna occur. There are many lymphomas with varying symptoms. Sounds like a good idea to let the doctors check it all out.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

Thank you, and I figured the info could lend itself to either/or – seems to be the battle with researching this stuff. So many “could be” & “what if” scenarios...

I just found a rather large “lump” in my leg – the pit, if you will, of my leg between thigh & groin. The reason I keep finding these is because of a slight tinge of pain, or irritation, which leads me to feel there, and wha-la… another lump or lymph node. If a lymph node just appears quickly and hasn’t been there prior, is this a good or bad sign? It would seem that (from what I have read) they progress slower when it is lymphoma, but then I read somewhere else and it will discuss how rapidly is spreads. I get so befuddled, and I consider myself to be relatively intelligent at least. :: shrug ::

I say "lump" because sometimes I almost think a couple feel like cysts beginning... do the two run side-by-side? Also, the pain of my lymph nodes seems to become more when drinking coffee...? Being "in tune" to your body can sometimes feel like a curse.

Plus, with me, I am 5’6” and 99lbs, so with a few of these that I can feel I am uncertain if they are even swollen – others I *know* are swollen.

Last night my right underarm was very, very sore where the most of my lymph nodes are, but the pain was directed to a pulse (that ran into my breast). These appts. can’t come soon enough, can they?...

Your advice is full of wisdom on the subject, thank you.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
    nyxin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

i just wanted to tell you that lymphoma does not hurt nor change in size. it sounds as though you have an infection that your body is trying to fight. let us know what the doc says. good luck hun.
    C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HallowsEve
    Thank you, and I figured the info could lend itself to either/or – seems to be the battle with researching this stuff. So many “could be” & “what if” scenarios...

I just found a rather large “lump” in my leg – the pit, if you will, of my leg between thigh & groin. The reason I keep finding these is because of a slight tinge of pain, or irritation, which leads me to feel there, and wha-la… another lump or lymph node. If a lymph node just appears quickly and hasn’t been there prior, is this a good or bad sign? It would seem that (from what I have read) they progress slower when it is lymphoma, but then I read somewhere else and it will discuss how rapidly is spreads. I get so befuddled, and I consider myself to be relatively intelligent at least. :: shrug ::

I say "lump" because sometimes I almost think a couple feel like cysts beginning... do the two run side-by-side? Also, the pain of my lymph nodes seems to become more when drinking coffee...? Being "in tune" to your body can sometimes feel like a curse.

Plus, with me, I am 5’6” and 99lbs, so with a few of these that I can feel I am uncertain if they are even swollen – others I *know* are swollen.

Last night my right underarm was very, very sore where the most of my lymph nodes are, but the pain was directed to a pulse (that ran into my breast). These appts. can’t come soon enough, can they?...

Your advice is full of wisdom on the subject, thank you.
    I wil have to concur with the last post. Rapid onset of lymphoma in the medical world is not the same time frame as in real time. For instance, lung cancer can be present up to 17 years before being detectable in the human body. Lymphoma can sit and come and go. This means that it can be undetectable on some tests and then become detectable. Lymphoma has been called the cancer that if you have to get cancer is the best one to get because it takes so long for it to impair the body that most people who get it have died from unrelated causes. (I do not know if that is a true statement or not) but I have heard of older people who have had it for years.When HIV is put into the mix is when you start hearing the rapid death stories.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

That’s very intriguing information. I was actually wondering something similar yesterday morning. Truth is told; my husband reminded me that last year I had trouble with cysts. I had an abnormal pap come back, and in the process they found a cyst that was said to be “harmless” and was drained right there on the spot. After that, conversely, I developed a lump in my neck (opposite side as the one I have in my neck now). That doctor told me it was “over muscle so it was fine” (still don’t know what that means…). It eventually went away, so I assumed it to be an allergic reaction to caffeine, which somewhere was passed to me as a possible cause. Yet, he also reminded me I had at least one swollen lymph node that was tender in my right armpit then too – that was close to 3 years ago now. At the time, I truly thought hormones were ruling my life. On my own, I had decided my biological clock was throwing me all out of whack because it really felt like hormones. Ironically, while pregnant that all felt leveled out. Now that my daughter has been here for 6 months, I feel quite familiar to back then, and botta boom botta bang, here are lymph nodes and lumps again… only this time they are ramped, many more and much more tender when I first find them (pain eventually subsides). Wonder what the correlation is? Or if there is any…? And I wondered about rather the lymph nodes could go down and back up with Lymphoma present.

Old 05-08-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    could be reaction to 2-butoxyethanol poisoning

Before I share more ... on the lymph node question, let me share with you that ovarian cysts are likely to be common with a chemical exposure such as 2-butoxyethanol. (In this setting, an example of endocrine disruption which includes reproductive glands ... for a male, the testes or concern with prostate cancer) Now ... as to the lymph node example for someone known to be exposed to 2-butoxyethanol:

One of the biorememdiation workers of the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup had a diagnosis 2 years ago of low red blood cell anemia. He had a colonoscopy to test for internal bleeding & they only found a rash in his stomach. They did a bone marrow test and a lymph node biopsy ... because all the lymph nodes were swollen throughout his whole body. Everything at that time was OK. Now his intestinal tract/colon? has cracks in it. It is most likely more serious than he realizes.

But as to the swollen lymph nodes ... and known excessive exposure to 2-butoxyethanol ... it is most likely his lymph system attacking his red blood celss as this chemical causes hemolytic anemia. For most people this is camoflaged because the bone marrow can replace the red blood cells that die off prematurely ... with immature red blood cells ... and nothing else is checked.

Since this 2-butoxyethanol has been in widespread use, there has been an epidemic of long term fatigue in our American citizens: CFS & the like (Same definition almost as gulf war syndrome)

SO,

You can help yourself and many others, too, if you present this suggestion to your doctor:

Dear Doctor,

You may have some patients who have a hard to diagnose form of fatigue. It can be found by doing a couple of add on blood tests.*

It is from chemical overexposure to such compounds as are found in cleaning and degreaser and paint products.

People will say they have CFS, CFIDS, or ‘gulf war syndrome’ symptoms … Or they will tell you they worked on the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup.

The chemical is 2-butoxyethanol or ethylene glycol monobutyl ether

If you will order get the ‘retic’ ratio & ask for comment on the red blood cell size and shape; get the white blood count by microscope, not computer; and do the Complete Blood Counts with differentials plus kidney and liver function level tests, too, … its harm can be found.

This chemical not only targets the central nervous system and entire endocrine system, but the kidneys and liver (Liver function may show OK and not be OK because of premature loss of red blood cells)

Since the bone marrow compensates for the premature loss of red blood cells, by making more, immature red blood cells, this hemolysis does not show up in the regular tests doctors usually do; this would be called compensated hemolytic anemia; in time paralysis is even possible.*Please let me know if this is the case for any patients, subject to their permission, of course. I have been studying this chemical and need to know if my theory is correct.

Sincerely,

Well, I can't get the info direct, but you can report if there is anything going on with this chemical ... per these tests at least

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 05-08-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-11-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

I’m sorry but I don’t follow the above post so well, was that a general topic posted in this thread?

I did have another question to ask those who might know what this implies:

For Mother’s Day my husband got me an hour massage. I have never had one of these before in my life. I told her about all my concerns and she went nowhere near the lymph nodes under my arms. It felt wonderful and it made me slightly nauseas, but today my lymph nodes are larger – noticeably so. I was wondering what this implied. I know that massages flush your toxins into your body (I have been drinking LOTS of water), but would that suggest that I have an infection that just got pushed more to the surface, or do these 2 things have no correlation whatsoever?

My appt. with the surgeon is today in a mere 2 hours, so I shall know more (I hope) very soon.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Does massage use any lotions?

... maybe you were allergic to something?

Even fragrances, etc ... people who have too much of a chemical often become sensitive to any type of chemicals, at all.

Please share this thought with your doctor ... about testing for fatigue with the 'Retic ratio' and looking at red blood cells & commenting on size and shape. If the doctor is doing a blood test anyway, it should be able to be done with the blood they have already.

Old 05-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #10
    HallowsEve

HallowsEve HB User

Alright, this surgeon didn’t think that they were “anything to get excited about”. He said they were not large enough to him.

Strangely, he felt around in my right armpit and thought he found something to be concerned about. He decided to do a needle biopsy and what he was looking for, I assume, wasn’t coming out. So he had me sit up and he felt from the other side and discovered it was some muscle that he says “isn’t normally felt on people” but because I am “so thin” he could feel it, which he thinks is why the change in my lymph nodes is so obvious.

He did an ultrasound over the original lump in my breast and it looks “pretty normal in there”.

He DID, however, schedule another appt. for me in July just to check on them again.

So, thank you for your care and concern and knowledge. I am still going to schedule a blood workup, and I will keep you posted as things progress further in the next couple months if anything changes.

Again, thank you!

Closed Thread