It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Does Nasal Drip Cause Large Nodes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
    Lauren319

Lauren319 HB User
    Cool Does Nasal Drip Cause Large Nodes?

Hey!
    I have problems with fluid build up in my chest. Had heart/lung tests and now going for a barium swallow to determine if it's reflux/hernia problems...no biggie. Anyway, I was wondering if instead could be post-nasal drip or something if the gastro-intest. stuff is okay too. NOW..here is the question (Yes, I know what board I am in)...I have a large node under my jaw..just discovered on the right side yesterday when I had my hand holding up my head and by chance felt it..it is tender) I was wondering if it could be from post nasal drip which would coinside my theory with the chest congestion. So...can you get enlarged glands from post nasal drip? Just wanted to ask here cause I thought someone would know...not 'cause I think it is cancer..thanks..
    Lauren

[This message has been edited by Lauren319 (edited 09-27-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2002, 07:30 AM   #2
    Jaytor
    Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
    This is a guess -

If the post nasal drip/fluid contained any microbes, then the combination of erosion due to the constant drip plus infection-causing microbes might result in an inflammation plus infection.

Have you been checked for sinusitis?

Old 09-30-2002, 01:14 PM   #3
    Lauren319

Lauren319 HB User
    Question

What kind of doctor would be able to determine that...an ENT?
    Thanks.

Old 10-09-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
    Jaytor
    Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
    A GP/FM should be able to diagnose this; Allergists, ENTs and Respirologists are consulted for difficult or puzzling cases.

To obtain an accurate diagnosis you need to supply your doctor with some facts, such as:

1- Do you suffer from chronic allergies, asthma, or any other upper respiratory infection?

2- When was the last time you had a cold, and did you suffer any opportunistic respiratory infections as a consequence of the cold infection?

3- How healthy is the protective tissue in your nose, mouth and other airway passages? [If unhealthy, thin, scarred, producing too much or not enough mucous - there's a greater risk of infections travelling further into the body.]

4- Chronic elevated, but subclinical, fever - this means your temperature is always higher than normal for you but not so high that you/your doctor would suspect a runaway infection.

5- CBC Diff [complete blood count with differential] - this is a common blood test that specifically checks your white blood count [WBC] as well as the ratios of various white blood cells. White blood cells are one of the body's major defenses against infection. An elevated WBC means that the body is fighting off an infection. In subclinical and some chronic infections, the WBC is only a little higher than normal.

6- When doctors become really baffled sometimes they'll order X-rays of the sinuses to look for enlarged sinuses, deviated septa or some other underlying reason that might cause or contribute to your condition/symptoms.

7- Are you taking any meds [including over the counter drugs, supplements] that might have this as a side-effect? Or, whose long-term usage might weaken your respiratory or overall health? [i.e. steroids for asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, MS, etc.]

Pls note that I'm not a physician and, obviously, am not aware of all of the possibilities. These are just a few of the most common problems that I happen to be aware of.

Here's a link to reliable medical information on sinusitis:
    [url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000647.htm"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000647.htm[/url]

[This message has been edited by Jay Tor (edited 10-09-2002).]

Old 10-15-2002, 03:41 PM   #5
    kaci1234

kaci1234 HB User
    can anyone tell me what can cause glands under my jaw to hurt and enlarge. It also hurts in the jaw bone, and now radiates onto my chest and sometimes back. I have no colds or flus or anything like that. Blood tests results i've had come back normal, but it continues.

Old 10-20-2002, 07:59 AM   #6
    Jaytor
    Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
    Suggest you read the trigeminal neuralgia article below. Another possibility is a large abscess situated near and pressing upon a major nerve, such as teh trigeminal.
    [url="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/trigeminalneuralgia.html"]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/trigeminalneuralgia.html[/url]

Closed Thread