It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• diff. b/w lymph node and gland?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
    sickinVT

sickinVT HB User
    Lightbulb diff. b/w lymph node and gland?

Hi everyone...I'm new to this board. Can anyone tell me the difference between a lymph node and a gland? Are they one in the same? I have had a gland swollen on my right side right under my chin since I had mono 6 years ago. Would I be right to assume that by now something would have shown up in my blood after six years if it was cancer? I don't have drenching night sweats, or weightloss. However, I am dealing with a possibly lyme disease diagnosis...vague symptoms, including neurological symptoms, etc. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks. Also, doctors have felt my neck and never said anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: diff. b/w lymph node and gland?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickinVT
    Hi everyone...I'm new to this board. Can anyone tell me the difference between a lymph node and a gland? Are they one in the same? I have had a gland swollen on my right side right under my chin since I had mono 6 years ago. Would I be right to assume that by now something would have shown up in my blood after six years if it was cancer? I don't have drenching night sweats, or weightloss. However, I am dealing with a possibly lyme disease diagnosis...vague symptoms, including neurological symptoms, etc. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks. Also, doctors have felt my neck and never said anything.
    Lymp nodes are sometimes referred to as glands but are technically not glands. A gland is responsible for secreting moisture, such as the salivary gland, tear ducts, or sweat glands. Lymph nodes do not secret moisture but DO collect bacteria, and isolate viruses from the blood stream to keep them from infecting or harming the body. So, in very, very simple terms: glands secrete moisture and lymph nodes collect germs and protect the body from them.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
    rIcHrD
    (male)

rIcHrD HB User
    Re: diff. b/w lymph node and gland?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sickinVT

As far as I know, lymphoma makes little to no appearance in the blood - perhaps beside cytokine levels which are seldom measured. Leukemia is (a type of lymphoma), which does appear in the blood. Lymphoma tends to be restricted to the lymph nodes, causing enlargement. I'm sure as it progresses to more severe manifestions, appearances in the blood will begin to occur.

A slightly different answer. A gland is as said, a secretory organ. Lymph nodes and glands can be easily confused by the uninformed, especially in the neck region where many glands (sublingual, submandibular, parotid, thyroid, parathyroid) occur in close approximation to many lymph nodes.

Closed Thread