It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Permanent Enlarged Lymph Node...Please help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
    Old Hollywood
    (female)

Old Hollywood HB User
    Question Permanent Enlarged Lymph Node...Please help

Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me. For many months now, I have had an enlarged lymph node along the side of my neck that does not seem to be going away. I have seen both my GP and and an ENT, who feel it is nothing to be concerned about. I've been doing a little research online and have read that enlarged lymph nodes should eventually return to normal size, yet mine hasn't. Both Doctors explained to me that some lymph nodes will actually scar, therefore never returning to its original size. This however, contradicts all of the information I have seen. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have been quite worried over the possibility of lymphoma. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: Permanent Enlarged Lymph Node...Please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Old Hollywood
    Hello,

I had a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me. For many months now, I have had an enlarged lymph node along the side of my neck that does not seem to be going away. I have seen both my GP and and an ENT, who feel it is nothing to be concerned about. I've been doing a little research online and have read that enlarged lymph nodes should eventually return to normal size, yet mine hasn't. Both Doctors explained to me that some lymph nodes will actually scar, therefore never returning to its original size. This however, contradicts all of the information I have seen. Has anyone ever heard of this? I have been quite worried over the possibility of lymphoma. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Jennifer
    In order to understand what the doctor is telling you, you must realize that lymph nodes gather infectious materials out of your body such as bacteria etc, and surrounds it with a protective tissue that keeps the infection from making you ill enough to kill you. When lymphoma occurs no matter what the type is, cancer has infiltrated that protective system and has actually started to dismantle that protective barrier, and making the tissue unable to do its job. A lymphoma is strictly a cancer of lymph node tissue. This is not to be confused with say breast cancer that spreads to lymph nodes or Lung Cancer that spreads to lymph nodes. Lymphoma is a cancer that BEGINS in the lymph node. Therefore when a lymph node has swelled up to isolate infection, it may very well stay some what swollen in order to contain the infection and keep it from causing you harm.

Old 06-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
    88Shadow
    (female)

88Shadow HB User
    Smile Re: Permanent Enlarged Lymph Node...Please help

Please don't worry about this if you've seen a good ENT! I found a lymph node in the side of my neck over five years ago that was enlarged. I went to my GP and had blood work, CT scan, etc. and he assured me it was simply enlarged - nothing to worry about. Being paranoid, I went to see a great ENT and he told me the same thing. Sometimes they get larger and never go down. And yes - mine is still there, right where it was. Never got any bigger and never got any smaller (it's about the size of a pea). Hope this eases your mind!

Old 06-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
    michaelii
    (male)

michaelii HB User

Old Hollywood, what size is your node approx..?

Old 06-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
    Old Hollywood
    (female)

Old Hollywood HB User

Hi Michaelii,

Thanks for responding. The enlarged lymph node is approximately pea sized, firm and painless. It is located along the left side of my neck. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
    Jennifer

Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
    michaelii
    (male)

michaelii HB User

generally nodes which are of the following charateristics are the ones which warrant futher investigation:

1) HARD
    2) FIXED (Non movable)
    3) Non-Tender
    4) Larger than 1cm x 1cm

My guess is that based on the size you are reporting that it is not worth the worry and torture of futher investigation, particulaly if you've had it this long without any other symptoms ("B" Symptoms).

Do you have any other ailments?

Does it change in size?

PS: I am NOT a Dr, just a novice here.

Last edited by michaelii; 06-03-2005 at 09:29 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

I had swollen nodes in my groin for about 8 months. They are just now starting to disappear. Doctor said sometimes nodes can stay enlarged for long periods of time.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
    Micheybell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Micheybell HB User

I have enlarged lymphnodes in my neck, under my arms and even my bikini line. I've seen a great oncologist and a hematologist as well. Both sent me for extensive blood work and ct scans. I am petite and pretty thin, the dr.'s believe that this could be a good reason why my nodes are always palpable. Both dr's said to keep an eye on it but not to be concerned.

I've had these swollen nodes for years now as well.

Old 06-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #9
    help0001
    (male)

help0001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Micheybell
    I have enlarged lymphnodes in my neck, under my arms and even my bikini line. I've seen a great oncologist and a hematologist as well. Both sent me for extensive blood work and ct scans. I am petite and pretty thin, the dr.'s believe that this could be a good reason why my nodes are always palpable. Both dr's said to keep an eye on it but not to be concerned.

I've had these swollen nodes for years now as well.
    Hi, I have the same problem. I do have swollen lymph nodes in my groin and under my armpits. I've had stacks of blood work done but all has come back fine. I am currently seeing a hematologist who has said that I shouldn't be concerned about them because I am quite thin, and perhaps that is what is causing them to be felt so easily. Like youself, I have been advised to keep an eye on them, but that doesn't take the worrying away. I also have a positive "Anti-Nucleur Anti-body" test which is also being investigated.

Are your lymph nodes painless?

Take care.

Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
    kelar419
    (female)

kelar419 HB User

I have 2 enlarged nodes, one in my neck and one behind by ear. They have been there for around 10 years... since I was about 11. They arent tender, but are easily moveable under the skin. The doctors have never been concerned with them, but recently i took a university class on medical sciences and am now really paranoid that they are a lymphoma of sorts, maybe some sorty of low grade indolent lymphoma ive had for years. I am soooo worried about it. In 10 years wouldnt they have grown, or come with new symptoms????

Old 06-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

I am so glad that I found your post because while reading it I was amazed at how similar it is to my story. I noticed a knot that came up on the left side of my neck so I automatically thought it was my thyroid gland because my mother and aunt both have thyroid problems. Just in the last week it has swollen and gotten even more bigger and harder. I went to the doctor on Friday to have it checked and I had some blood work done which showed that my white blood count was elevated and was given antibotics. I also have a catscan for Friday scheduled. The doctor labeled it as a neck mass. I have no idea what this means. Just this week it has become tender and sore to the touch. I am getting very worried and scared, do you have any advice to give me?

Old 06-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
    Julie02
    (male)

Julie02 HB User

Hi,
    I just wanted to say it's amazing how many people have similar symptoms. I first noticed a swollen node right along the left middle side of my neck about 8 years ago when I was 23. I had it checked out about 7 years ago and they didn't make a big deal about it. But for the past 5 months it is incredibly sensitive to the touch. It is slightly larger than pea size. I went to a different PCP and he didn't seem to make a big deal about it either. I'm just wondering why its so sensitive and highly visible when I have my hair pulled back. I mean he didn't even suggest bloodwork or fine needle aspiration biopsy, let alone a CT scan. Maybe I should be more direct to him with my concern.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:27 PM   #13
    ashleyw5891
    (female)

ashleyw5891 HB User

I have lymph nodes that have been swollen for four years and have barely shrunk. I went to the doctor today and he said it was no big deal, since they do that and I have nothing else wrong with me. But i still am concerned a little bit because they ache every now and then like a small headache. I was just wondering if this happens to any of you with swollen lymph nodes? I'm only fourteen, should I be worried and go see another doctor about it?

Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
    Allinasmile

Allinasmile HB User

Hey everyone... Today is my CT Scan day and I am so ready to get this over with. I wonder if I will even get my results back today; probably not. I just wanted to say that the knot is still in my neck but it's not as tender as it has been being, I suppose that is from not touching it like I had for days. I have been taking an antibotic 3 times a day which is 500mg each pill and it seems to be reducing the swelling of it, but the knot is still there I can tell when I run my fingers across it. Well, wish me luck and I will let you know as soon as I find something out.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:42 AM   #15
    TAHN
    (female)

TAHN HB User

I have had Hodgkins Disease and been through a lot because of it. I used to get lumps that were non hodgkin related, just my body trying to rid itself of excess toxins. To help the body eliminate these toxins, start drinking clean water everyday to help to flush the toxins out, eat healthier foods, exercise and detox. I did all these things and basically rid myself of the terrible disease I had. I had a small amount of chemo but quit 1/2 way through the course and continued with alternative therapies.
    A good attitude is vital
    If I can help in any way, let me know

Closed Thread