It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• I have a lump and I am so scared!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
    Annaliesse
    (female)

Annaliesse HB User
    I have a lump and I am so scared!!!!!

I am a 38 year old woman with two young daughters. Two months ago, my hairdresser noticed a hard lump behind my left ear. It is not painful and it does not move. It appears to be located on/near that bony part behind ear. I have no idea how long it has been there.

Of course I searched the internet and quickly discovered that a lump could mean lymphoma. I have vague aches and pains in my chest/armpit area but no other symptoms (no fatigue, no night sweats, etc.).

I am seeing my doctor today to discuss the lump. I am so scared that it is cancerous. If not lymphoma, then what else can it be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
    tyboyz
    (female)

tyboyz HB User
    Re: I have a lump and I am so scared!!!!!

If I have learned anything from this board it has been to stay calm until you talk to the doctor. Although these types of lumps need to be checked out as soon as possible the large percentage are not too serious. The internet had me in an absolute panic for months that even the doctor had a hard time calming me. Wait to see what he says and let us know.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
    Annaliesse
    (female)

Annaliesse HB User

Thanks Tyboyz

My doctor said she is 99.9% sure it is not lymphoma, although she added there is always room for error. She said it appears to be a cyst. She could tell that I was anxious so she checked my lymph nodes around my neck and underarms but found nothing. I am scheduled for my annual physical in September and she told me we should wait until then before having it removed.

I trust this doctor BUT I have read so many stories on the internet about people being told their lump was "nothing serious" only to be diagnosed later on. I am scared. I want to be absolutely sure this is truly nothing so that I can forget about it.

Do you think I should get a second opinion, or insist that my lump be removed now?

Old 06-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #4
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Anytime you have a biopsy it is painful and with it being behind your ear, the risk of an infection from a non-cancerous lump is greater than waiting until September if it were cancer. In many or most instances, cancer is not an emergency situation. It is only after a patient has begun to lose weight of 10%percent or more of their original body weight, or are having equally distressing symptoms of pain, itching, drenching night sweats not related to menopause or hypoglycemia, that immediate treatment is necessary. So many times, the testing that takes place and the second opinions can run long into months and months after a diagnosis has been made and there is still not any danger of the patient's health being compromised. Cancer feels like an emergency because it has the risk of death that goes with it. There are so many non-medical reasons why patients are pushed into a belief system that things have to be done right now. Some of this is dictated by pharmaceutical promotions for instant fixes, it is driven in the USA by litigators who encourage the petitioner to sue for mal practice when the consequences would have been limited by a well thought out plan of action rather than a rush to treatment. I am not down playing the importance of your feelings, just trying to offer some reasons to think, plan and make a decison based on rational clear thinking that is right for you.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
    Miss L
    (female)

Miss L HB User

Hi there, do you wear earings? just a thought as i have 2 small hard lumps behind my ears and i told my doctor she dismissed it because i wear earings, ive had one of the lumps for around 7yrs and anotherone has come up in the other ear but i have has an infection in the site of my ear ring so ive taken it out now to see if it goes down if not im going back to the doctors

Miss L

Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
    Annaliesse
    (female)

Annaliesse HB User

Thanks everyone - all these replies are very helpful in calming my nerves.

Merimac - Your reply makes alot of sense. I'm just so scared right now that my initial, gut reaction is to have my lump removed and biopsied. Waiting until Sept. seems like an awfully long time to be worried about this. Also, you mention that cancer isn't an emergency situation, however, isn't early detection important in successfully treating cancer? I guess I am just concerned about not catching it early enough.

Miss L. - thanks for your suggestion - but I don't wear earrings. I suppose I should not second guess my doctor. It's just that researching these symptoms can certainly make you feel like you have something so very dreadful.

Closed Thread