It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• lymph node biopsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
    deedea
    (female)

deedea HB User
    Question lymph node biopsy

Hello everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone here can answer a few questions for me. About 8 months ago I found a rather large lymph node behind my right ear. I actually did not even know it was a node until I went to my dr. I thought it was maybe a wax buildup or something, it was large, hard, and painless, and also not mobile. My dr. was very concerned at first and after examining me she found two more enlarged nodes on my neck. She ordered alot of blood work and sent me to a surgical clinic for a biopsy. Surgeon did biopsy and all was negative. He biopsied the largest one behind my ear. Blood work came back with low red blood count, high bilirubin, and a few other things (I can't remember that far back), were out of range, high or low. Also she tested me for lyme disease and EBV. When she called about my EBV test she asked if I had ever had mono, I have not, she said my EBV amount were incredibly high. I know this is some vague information, but, my question is: is it possible to have lymphoma if one node tested negative? My dr. continues to see me regularly and has tested for some other things. I now have enlarged lymph node in my groin area, and the ones in my neck have continued to grow. I have low grade fevers just about every day, and alot of bowel problems. Also alot of itchiness with no apparent rash or irritation. I have tried several different lotions, including Gold Bond and the oatmeal kind. My skin does not appear to be dry or irritated. I often notice that the nodes in my neck appear larger than normal and then seem to reduce back to "normal" enlarged size, the nodes in my groin do this as well. I also notice some discomfort if I move my neck a certain way or strech to far in a way that pulls at the areas in my groin. Maybe all of this is normal. I really like my dr. and trust her judgement, but I have one uncle who passed just last year from untreated lymphoma, and another uncle who has hodgkin's disease. Anyone who can offer any kind of information or advice is highly appreciated. I am just wondering if any other nodes should be biopsied. I try not to say to much around my family because my dad is still bothered by the loss of his brother. Thanks in advance. deedea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: lymph node biopsy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deedea
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to see if anyone here can answer a few questions for me. About 8 months ago I found a rather large lymph node behind my right ear. I actually did not even know it was a node until I went to my dr. I thought it was maybe a wax buildup or something, it was large, hard, and painless, and also not mobile. My dr. was very concerned at first and after examining me she found two more enlarged nodes on my neck. She ordered alot of blood work and sent me to a surgical clinic for a biopsy. Surgeon did biopsy and all was negative. He biopsied the largest one behind my ear. Blood work came back with low red blood count, high bilirubin, and a few other things (I can't remember that far back), were out of range, high or low. Also she tested me for lyme disease and EBV. When she called about my EBV test she asked if I had ever had mono, I have not, she said my EBV amount were incredibly high. I know this is some vague information, but, my question is: is it possible to have lymphoma if one node tested negative? My dr. continues to see me regularly and has tested for some other things. I now have enlarged lymph node in my groin area, and the ones in my neck have continued to grow. I have low grade fevers just about every day, and alot of bowel problems. Also alot of itchiness with no apparent rash or irritation. I have tried several different lotions, including Gold Bond and the oatmeal kind. My skin does not appear to be dry or irritated. I often notice that the nodes in my neck appear larger than normal and then seem to reduce back to "normal" enlarged size, the nodes in my groin do this as well. I also notice some discomfort if I move my neck a certain way or strech to far in a way that pulls at the areas in my groin. Maybe all of this is normal. I really like my dr. and trust her judgement, but I have one uncle who passed just last year from untreated lymphoma, and another uncle who has hodgkin's disease. Anyone who can offer any kind of information or advice is highly appreciated. I am just wondering if any other nodes should be biopsied. I try not to say to much around my family because my dad is still bothered by the loss of his brother. Thanks in advance. deedea.
    Yes, sometimes a lymph node that is biopsied is negative and sometimes the biopsy is done on a sentinel node that is positive. The thing that tips me off that it may simply be an immune system reaction is that you talk about the itching without presence of rash. Although there are many, many symptoms of Lymphoma, hopefully you are having an autoimune reaction to something in your life as simple as mold. Continue to pursue your concerns with the doctor and relax as much as possible. I know that when I suspect a medical problem I start to get anxious and then have more symptoms than are related to the condition. If you continue to be aware, you will finally be able to figure out what is really happening.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User
    Re: lymph node biopsy

hi!! i just read yor post, i have been experience same symtoms for 3 months, i have seen like 6 doctors they dont think i have that even though my linf node are a little enlarge.. i hace small temperatures, usually 3.7 37.5 celsius and i do have like a rash, i take allegra now for over 20 years and is not gone, i am very anxious, i told the doctor to d the biopsy and he said is too small and dangerous.. to ait to see a couple of month but i cant deal with the anxiety, i have pain in my arms and legs.. my blood test are good, hemoglobine beetween 11.5- to 12 but i have always had that...what other tests have yoiu have done? have you had de bone marow biopsy? let me know

thanls a lot
    Bridget

Closed Thread