It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• abdominal tenderness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
    Rebecca92
    (female)

Rebecca92 HB User
    abdominal tenderness

Hi,
    I'm new to this board and looking for thoughts on some symptoms I'm having or if anyone else has experienced them. I'm wondering if they could be related to abdominal lymph nodes or other problems like that.

I'm 31 and don't usually have bowel problems except sometimes softer, narrower stools that come out faster when I'm extremely stressed. However, three weeks ago I was poking around on my stomach trying to figure out where I'm going to do all of my shots for an upcoming in vitro fertilization cycle, and I noticed a tender spot (no lump or anything) about an inch to the right of my belly button. It only hurt when I pressed, and there was no bruising that I could see.

It's progressed to:
    - the tender spot moving down toward the appendix area and eventually to the right groin area (again, no lumps in any of these areas, and it's no longer tender around the belly button or upper appendix area)
    - I woke up with nausea exactly a week after I first noticed the tenderness. I had what started as a normal (if somewhat slightly soft) bowel movement that then ended with a little bit of an "exploded" bowel movement and the nausea got better after that
    - the next day, I seemed to be constipated and having very loud bowel (not stomach) sounds
    - I'm still having the nausea every morning for the past two weeks and having to take glycolax to have bowel movements; the movements are softer and narrower than usual, but maybe that's because of the glycolax
    - the bowel sounds and nausea are better although not completely gone
    - I sometimes have soreness below my ribs, particularly on the right side
    - for the past four or five days, my stool seems to have little black seeds in it; I don't think they look like coffee grounds, but then again I don't drink coffee, so I don't know for sure

I've had a CBC, blood chemistry profile, sediment rate test, upper abdominal ultrasound, pelvic (full bladder) ultrasound and pelvic (trans-vag) ultrasound, all of which came back normal. My PCP is sending me for a CT scan next.

He also put me on hyoscyamine and told me to resume my anti-anxiety med, which I did. However, after a few days on those and starting to cut down on the glycolax, the nausea and bowel sounds increased again and the constipation resumed. I've now upped the glycolax back to the prescribed dose and am stopping the hyoscyamine and anti-anxiety med, because both of those list nausea and constipation as a side effect.

I've made myself into a basket case worrying about all sorts of horrible possibilities. Another thing that's really frustrating me is that if I don't get this resolved quickly, I'm going to have to postpone the IVF cycle. That probably doesn't sound like a big deal, but we've been trying desperately for three years to have kids, and have had to postpone it several times for other reasons (including two heartbreaking failed adoptions), so I'm really anxious to get back to "normal" and be able to do the cycle.

Sorry to write such a novel! Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.

Rebecca

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: abdominal tenderness

Make sure to follow through with all recommended testing by your doctor. The problem with the bowel could be hormonal in nature since you have been trying to get your system to accept a pregnancy. Many women will have bowel problems associated with ovulation or lack of it. The same hormones that work to help pregancy occur can be a threat to the vascular system which responds to the autonomic nervous sytem that controls bowel function. Allergies can also cause spastic bowel or irritable bowel syndrome. If you are taking prenatal vitamins, you may or may not be seeing unabsorbed iron coming in the bowel. Again these are suggestions and make sure you follow through with the doctor on your concerns.

Closed Thread