It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• back pain as first symptom?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
    tommietomtom
    (male)

tommietomtom HB User
    back pain as first symptom?

hey everyone

i was just wondering if anyone here had back pains as their first symptom of lymphoma.

i've had this back pain for about 5 weeks now. it first just started as a localized pain on the left lower back. but then i started to get it right below my left buttocks. as time progressed, i would get it in my perineal area and then my right side presented with the same symptoms. most of the time, the pain is a burning sensation. i also get mild tingling in my feet sometimes. no weakness or numbness.

the reason i'm scared is because 1) i just had kidney transplant 7 months ago and i'm at a higher risk of developing lymphoma and 2) i've had 2 of the three consitutional symptoms - weight loss (i lost about 15 pounds over two months but there were some reasons that could explain why) and night sweats (about 4-5 times over the past month). i also feel tired and weak a lot of the time.

i get followed pretty closely by the doctors at my transplant hospital and get blood work done every few weeks. nothing out of the ordinary and they didn't think the night sweats or weight loss were of any concern. about the weight loss, my doctor just told me that after i had the flu, if i kept losing weight then it may be of concern. but after i healed, i stayed at the same weight for a few weeks and then eventually gained some back. the night sweats were probably out of anxiety cause i've been really stressed this past month and they occured almost always right after i fell asleep (i would wake up an half an hour after i fell asleep and i would have damp clothes).

anyways, sorry for the long post but i'm just worried i could have a tumor or an enlarged lymph node thats causing the back pain. its an odd back pain and i don't really know what makes it better or worse. sometimes it doesn't hurt at all, sometimes only my lower back, sometimes only a burning on my back thigh, etc etc. it doesn't seem to get worse when i'm lying down but it does still hurt sometimes.

any input would be appreciated. i have a doctors appointment next week to get to the bottom of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
    Merimac
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
    Re: back pain as first symptom?

If you have had a transplant, then you have had surgery. This surgery as it heals, will cause strange pains in and around muscles, ligaments, and nerve endings that were cut or aggravated by the surgery. As things heal, the swelling goes down, and body parts shift a bit here and there. This is normal for surgical patients. Make sure you have your concerns checked out due to possibilities of blood clots, infections, or other nerve damage that can be treated before it gets to be too big a problem.

Closed Thread