It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Whats a PET Scan?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
    mirandarose
    Inactive
    (female)

mirandarose HB User
    Question Whats a PET Scan?

Literally, what is a PET Scan? I have a friend who has had a spot on her lung and nodes light up, when she had her PET Scan done. Iam worried about some nodes and wondered if this is something to request instead of a CAT Scan? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
    Debbiefix
    (female)

Debbiefix HB User
    Re: Whats a PET Scan?

A PET scan isn't used as a diagnostic tool. They would do a CT scan for diagnosis. Then for staging the PET is used. They do both tests and lay the PET scan over the CT scan. Comparing activity from the PET scan with masses or lymph nodes on the CT scan, they can tell exactly how extensive the cancer is.
    You asked what a PET scan is. They inject a type of glucose into a vein. You sit quietly for 30-45 minutes then you're scanned in the machine for about 35 minutes. Not painful or uncomfortable one bit. You don't have to drink dye or anything and it's a full body scan. After cancer has been determined, that's the time you would have a PET scan.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
    ash0479
    (male)

ash0479 HB User
    Re: Whats a PET Scan?

CT Scan would show them everything they need to know initially if you have a mass or tumor defined as cancer, then they will do a PET Scan to see whether is has spread and what areas light up~ CT Scan is very easy, just have to drink some barium and your ready to rock...also simple tests such as x-rays can give doctors and radiolists alot of information, they are quick, easy and inexpensive, cmake sure you also have blood work done, which can be a good diagnostic tool if there are changes in your CBC, White or Red Cell count...

Closed Thread