It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Lump in neck with other symptoms - Worried

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User
    Lump in neck with other symptoms - Worried

I have had this lump on the right side of my neck for some time now (over a year) and I have had feelings of fullness in my head (pressure) Two cat scans and an MRI of neck and head and an MRA of head showed normal. I have been to the er room for this on one occasion because the pressure was very bad and I felt I needed medical attention right away. After I was seen and blood work done it showed that my Neutropphils count was high(79.2) range= 43.0 - 72.0% / Lymphcytes Low (14.2) range = 18.0 - 43.0%. My segs for the Differential Manual were high 78 range = 25 - 62% and lymphs low 15 range= 20 - 52%. I was also told the lumpo in my neck was a swollen/infected lymph node (2 doctors confirmed this) The ER doctor suggested I bring this to my doctors attention, which I did the next day, and she told me there was nothing wrong with me except stress due to the death of my mother (died of lung cancer in March 2006 - I was at the doctors for this in June 2006). So nothing was done except that she kept me on Ativan for stress, which did nothing for the feelings I get on the same side of my head that the lump is on. Over the past several months I have been getting night sweats, feelings of just not feeling good (always asking "do I have a fever?" and feeling hot and cold- wake up with night sweats which are not constant but enough to make me aware there is something going on) - I am just getting over a sinus infection that took two weeks to clear the infection but I still have a cough and achey feelings (like the flu) I had a chest x-ray which was normal. I did some research on the low and high counts of the blood and the swollen lymph node in my neck and it all led me to Hodgkins/Non Hodgkins disease. I am in need of some advice - Should I seek a second opinion from another doctor or wait until my symptoms get worse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
    Jett456

Jett456 HB User
    Re: Lump in neck with other symptoms - Worried

You can see a hematologist to look at your blood work and check the node. The only way to really know is a biopsy. You already had a negative cat scan right?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Yes, I had two cat scans of my head to check for sinusitis. The second was done in the emerregency room and that's when the blood work was done and the ER Doctor and another Doctor felt the lump and confirmed it to be a swollen lymph node.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jett456
    You can see a hematologist to look at your blood work and check the node. The only way to really know is a biopsy. You already had a negative cat scan right?
    Yes, I had two cat scans of my head to check for sinusitis. The second was done in the emerregency room and that's when the blood work was done and the ER Doctor and another Doctor felt the lump and confirmed it to be a swollen lymph node.
    I think I replied to myself - I am new to this.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
    Ails
    Inactive
    (female)

Ails HB User

Hi Monique

Get a second opinion! I wish I had!!

Chances are it will be nothing but I took what my docs said as gospel ("There's nothing wrong with you, you're just a lumpy person, you'll just have to live with it") and by the time I was diagnosed properly (a further year down the line) it had spread to my chest. I initially had xrays, blood tests etc that came back clear but, like Jett says, a biopsy is the only real way to be sure.

Don't wait and see if it gets worse - even if it doesn't and there's nothing wrong, you'll just worry about it anyway!! I know that in that year I did - it was actually a relief when I was diagnosed, I knew for definate what was wrong and could start to get well again.

Like I say, it's probably nothing but if it turns out to be lymphoma, isn't 3 months of chemo better than 6? Even if it is Lymphoma - it's not the end of the world - it's sooo cureable these days but you have to get your medicine to get better!!!

Take care and I hope it all works out for you

Ails xx

Old 10-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Thank you for your response Ails - I have a doctors appointment Wednesday with my GYN Doctor because I found another lump under my right armpit near by breast - The nurse said to come in to see him - Hopefully he will have an answer for me or send me to another doctor to get an answer!

I am sorry to hear that it took that long for you to get a diagnosis, but happy to hear you are getting the treatment you need!

I will let you know how things went.

Take care!

Monique

Old 10-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
    Ails
    Inactive
    (female)

Ails HB User

Hi Monique

I'm in full remmission and have just passed the one year mark!!!!!

I'm living proof that even the worst case scenario isn't too bad - I didn't find the chemo that bad and would go shopping the morning after (nothing can keep a true shopaholic down). I even went on a hen weekend to Prague half way through my treatment!

Have loads of energy and can honestly say I haven't got a care in the world!!! Well except trying to get all the christmas shopping done, but hey, me and a few billion others!!

Good luck for wednesday - you'll be fine whatever the outcome.

If there's anything I can do or anything you need to ask feel free.

If I don't reply straight away it's just because of the time difference - I'm in the UK

Take care

Ails xx

Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Congratulations on the one year mark! It is good to hear that you didn't have too much trouble with handling the Chemo - I hear you about the shopping! (A favorite of mine also!)

I will let you know how Wednesday goes - I keep feeling the lump to see if it is gone - nope, still there, I probally should just leave it alone, then i go to the other lump, yup, that one is there too!

Well, I have to finish making goodies for my daughters Halloween party at school tomorrow - Thanks again Ails! I will post again on Wednesday!

Monique

Old 10-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #9
    Ails
    Inactive
    (female)

Ails HB User

Hey Hun

hope your daughter enjoyed her haloween party

Just posting to say good luck for tomorrow - you'll be fine!!!

Ails xx

Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Hi Ails,

Thank you for the post - yes, my daughter did have a good time at her Halloween Party - kids are so much fun when they are young and get verry excited about upcoming holidays and events!

Well, I had my doctors appontment today, and he had a hard time feeling the lump I was feeling, but because I was feeling it close to the breast, and the history with my mom's cancer he is setting up a mammogram just to be safe.

Maybe I wasn't feeling a lump under my arm, maybe it is just fatty tissue?
    I am still concerned about the neck lump though, he asked about it and what was being done, and I told him nothing. I really think I am going to go with your advice and my gut feeling and get a second opinion. I know something is not right, just the way I feel - The pressure on the side of head that the lump is on, always tired, achey, night sweats (not constant) - just not feeling well! I am not one to look for a problem, but I am one to know when something is not right with my body - and I know it isn't stress related.

Okay - hope all is well with you, I will let you know when the mammogram is - and I will also let you know about getting a second opinion.

Take care!

Old 11-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #11
    Ails
    Inactive
    (female)

Ails HB User

Hiya Monique

Glad you're getting it sorted. I really am not trying to worry you but I'm glad you're getting a second opinion.
    I only got diagnosed on an unrelated trip to another doctor at the surgery.

It's obviously on your mind and even though the neck lump may (an prob will ) turn out to be nothing, if you're constantly worrying that it might be something then the stress of that itself can manifest itself physically!!

Just remember - if it does turn out to be something, it really isn't the end of the world - it's an annoyance, yeah and a bit of a disruption to your daily life for a while - but not the end of the world!! I remember sulking with my consultant because he wouldn't let me go to the gym!!!!

Take care and let me know how it goes

Ails xx

Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
    Jett456

Jett456 HB User

I am surprised that the docs didn't want to do a cat scan. Much better than an xray. I just had one and it showed very small mm sized nodules in my lungs, most likely scarring from previous infection) All my lymph nodes showed as nonenlarged but even that doesn't mean they couldn't have cancer. It would give the doctors a better idea of what looks abnormal and then they could decide what to biopsy. Mamograms don't always show lymph nodes. Mine didn't. A breast ultra sound might be better. Also try and have a digital mamogram done vs the film type. They are more detailed and read by a computer as well as a doctor.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Thank you Ails and Jett for your response. I am going to get the second opinion on my neck - and I am going to mention when I talk to the nurse this morning about my mammogram the ultra sound - my mother had a lump she felt and the mammogram did not pick it up it was the ultra sound that picked it up - after being biopsied she found out it was cancer.

Now I just have to find a doctor who will see me for the second opinion! I will keep you posted!

Monique

Old 11-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
    Ails
    Inactive
    (female)

Ails HB User

Hi Monique

Remember to stand your ground and do NOT be fobbed off

Ails xx

Old 11-03-2006, 06:00 AM   #15
    monique manna
    (female)

monique manna HB User

Thanks Ails! I will!

My mammogram is all set - I will be going for that on the 20th of this month and an ultra sound will also be done because of the lump.

I will keep you posted on everything! Have a great weekend!

Monique

Last edited by monique manna; 11-03-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Closed Thread