It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Strange Swellings - Should I be concerned??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
    RitaB
    (female)

RitaB HB User
    Strange Swellings - Should I be concerned??

Hi - I've been reading this site for several days as well as the sjogren's symdrome site (especially the one for sjogren's and lymphoma). I was wondering if I can ask a question - I know I will come across as one of those paranoid high anxiety individuals who does too much reading on the net. True - that description does fit for the most part but I am fortunate to have a PCP who seems to appreciate the knowledge I gain from researching and helps me keep things in perspective.

This is what I want to ask about: On my right side of my face, my parotid glands are noticiable swollen and on the left side slightly swollen. For years now my dr has been doing regular blood work checking for auto immune disorders b/c of the symptoms I presented. I initially got a dx of fibromyalgia b/c only one test (which was a skin biopsy) ever really showed anything that suggested a connective tissue / auto immune disorder (except for hashimotto/hypothyroidism). My own suspicion was the sjogren's but for several years my sxs subsided a good bit until recently (March and April) I experienced a flare of the fibro and then my parotid glands began swelling in May. Only slightly to begin with but gradually increasing. I did go back to the dr in early June and after he saw and felt the swelling so he ordered all kinds of bloodwork looking once again for autoimmune but once again everything that he checked came back fine except for the thyroid antibody which was only slightly elevated. So my instructions from the doctor was a very emphatic order to come back in 3 to 4 mos for follow up and to continue to do so from then on regardless of what bloodwork did or did not show. He also stated that he believed that I did have some connective tissue disorder that just hadn't progressed enough to be caught.

However, since then the parotid gland on my right side has continually to gradually swell with vague achiness that sometimes extends into the ear and behind. Also I have noticed that the swelling extends down the side of my neck, just above the clavical bone on the right is a swollen pocket like area, and then I noticed a couple of pockets of swelling under my arm (you would think it was just fatty tissue except that it is not present on the left) and the inside of my elbow is extremely tender with little noticeable knots (which are not present on the left). I also can feel small knots under my right arm (which I can't feel on the left) that feels elongated and rubbery. I also have another knot further down my arm just above the wrist that has an itchy rash on the outside but underneath is a knot that feels like a fluid filled sack. And finally, for several months (more like 8 or 9) I have had what feels like a knot that aches just under my right should blade that I am always asking my husband to massage out but it doesn't seem to help. At times I believe it makes it hurt more. The pressure from the swelling can be felt but isn't painful. And I know by rubbing the knots, you can make it swell and cause tenderness, so I refrain from that. And I also know that sometimes parotid swelling can be a symptom of lymphoma.

Let me add, I am 54 years old and I have never been bothered by any kind of swollen lymph gland until about 5 months ago when one came up quickly in my armpit, was very sore and achy. So naturally I researched and learned that b/c it came up quickly and was painful, it was most likely the result of an infection and should go away in a few days. It did, so I knew my research was right on target. But it just seemed strange that I had never felt one before so why was I experiencing one then.

Also, there is a very high incidence of cancer in my family so it is always a concern and that partially explains my researching a lot. (A maternal aunt, a maternal uncle and my mother passed away from cancer. Another maternal aunt surviced cancer twice and passed away in her 90's from complications from a knee replacement surgergy. Then one of my sisters passed away 2 years ago from lung cancer and she had never smoked).

So if a couple of you could just respond, I would greatly appreciate it. Can Lymphoma cause swelling in a gland area without you being able to feel the gland? Strange question, I know but I would appreciate some of your insight. I know this has been long and I apologize for that.

Thanks for any help you can give,

RitaB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
    fairy-lights
    Veteran
    (female)

fairy-lights HB User
    Re: Strange Swellings - Should I be concerned??

Hi There

Unfortunately there are so many reasons as to why we have enlarged lymph nodes, and we don't always find out why it is so.

Ask to be referred to an ENT consultant if you are worried about lymphoma.

I am sure your doctor would have done this if he felt it would be necessary.

Try not to read symptoms off the internet, there are so many different illnesses that present similar symptoms, and are nothing to worry about.

Try not to worry it sounds as though they are taking care of you.

All the best Susie x

Closed Thread