It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Now What!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User
    Now What!

I just got a letter from my gp. It said, "Your lab tests were within normal limits. We will need to recheck thyroid in 6-8 weeks."

That's all I get. I'm so frustrated. Why do I pay to see these people!!!

I'm really fed up with everything. I just made an appointment with an ENT. I guess I'll get that second opinion. I just feel like they all think I'm crazy and I'm not, or that I like to go have all this testing done. I had problems with myoclonus 9 or 10 years ago and my file is really thick so I'm sure they think I'm just a problem child. I NEVER went to the doctor until I was 26 years old. It's not my favorite pasttime.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User
    Re: Now What!

What about the large lymph nodes in your neck! That does not seem normal. Yes, I would go to an ENT. Hopefully you don't need a referral. I would strongly advise that you obtain copies of any test results you have had for this condition and bring them with you to the ENT. By law you are entitled to copies of all of your tests.

Good luck!!!!!

Deb

Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #3
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

I 2nd the motion.
    An "ENT" is probably the way to go.
    I had a multitude of tests from my GP for years....I knew something was wrong---everything came back o.k.....bloodwork, etc.....
    Then, one visit to my ENT, and I got results.
    And, because of that, I'm probably alive & hopefully getting well, today!
    God Bless. Stay strong.
    S.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I called to get my records and I guess my regular doctor has to sign off on them and she's out until next week (she's out a lot). I am planning on going to the ENT next Thursday. I'm really worried about it being another waste of time. My temperature is 99.3 today. Is that normal? I know when I'm feeling good it's like 98.1. I just don't know what to think anymore, maybe I'm overreacting. Does your temp constantly fluctuate throughout the day? Yesterday I felt good and got a lot done but today I'm really tired.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

No, it is not normal to run a low grade fever. You have a multitude of symptoms that needs to be addressed. You are doing the correct move in going to see the ENT. They are more specialized in this field anyway.
    I don't remember but do you have night sweats also?

Deb

Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User

Yes, for the last month I had night sweats every night. I started putting deodorant on my back (I know, gross) because my pj's would be wet in the morning (just on my back and sometimes on my chest). That and feeling bad were the things that prompted me to go back to the doctor. I also have a little itchy rash that keeps popping up on my chest and my ankles are itching off & on, no rash that I can see but they just itch really bad. I didn't really think anything of the rashes until I read the other day that lymphoma can cause that. So I didn't even mention the rashes to my doctor but I'll tell the ENT about them.

I'm not on any medication so I know I can't contribute the night sweats to that. I told the doctor about the night sweats and higher temp, but she really didn't seem to think much of it. They've told me it's not really a fever unless it's over 100.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Symptoms of lymphoma are night sweats, low grade fever, itching, unintentional weight loss, swollen lymph nodes. I think the ENT will listed to you much more. Let the doc know all of your symptoms and concerns. You will need to have a node biopsied for diagnosis. Be demanding. This is your body and you know things are not right.
    I read so many times about doctors telling people their symptoms are all in their head. Then they push and push and finally get diagnosed.

Take care of yourself!

Deb

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User

Hi Deb - I would like your opinion on something and anyone else's who might know. Since my ct scans in February only showed "shotty" nodes, do you think I'm being overly anxious by still worrying about lymphoma? If I had lymphoma, would something odd definitely have shown up?

I never saw the actual results of the scans. They just told me I had some shotty nodes and otherwise I guess it was normal. Just wondering what you all thought. I really appreciate everyone's advice, it has helped me so much

Old 09-27-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Hi Sandpuff!

Have your nodes grown since the CT in February that stated shotty nodes?But, from what I have heard and read the nodes grow with lymphoma - even the indolent lymphoma.

My concern for you is the symptoms you are experiencing. It is not normal to have night sweats every night. There is something that your body is trying to fight off. Are you very fatigued still?

Debbie

Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User

Hi Debbie - I don't think they've grown. If they have, it would be just a little. I just didn't pay much attention to them after the negative blood tests and normal ct results. I do think my largest neck node is harder than it was but I'm not certain.

Do you think since I haven't noticed much growth (if any) in the last 7 months that lymphoma is unlikely? I know over the years I've noticed more in my groin but since I thought they weren't anything to worry about I never paid attention to them.

Thanks!

M

Old 09-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Hi,

One oncologist surgeon said that if the nodes were cancerous they would grow. The only assured way to know is to have one biopsied. If it comes back negative you can set your mind at ease. The problem I have had in getting a node biopsied is that the doctors do not want to do it unless it is the size of a grape. Hopefully the ENT can shed some light on this. Be sure to go over all of your concerns. Also take your previous scans with you. Let me know how it goes.

Take care,

Deb

Old 09-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
    desparado13
    (female)

desparado13 HB User

personally I would insist on a lymph node biopsy. I'm having one done even though my ct scans were "normal". My lymph nodes started out small almost 4 years ago now, and each year they got a little bit bigger. There's one I have on the back of my neck that's pretty big. How the radiologist didn't "pick it up" I'll never know. That's why I don't think can just rely on a ct scan alone.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
    Sandpuff
    (female)

Sandpuff HB User

Desperado - When is your biopsy? I read your posts on your thread and can identify with a lot. My doctor, too, seemed to think I had too many symptoms to make any sense. She decided it was in my head I think, but honestly I do not sit around and try to come up with symptoms. I told her every symptom I could think of in case something would give her a clue and instead she kind of blew me off.

I have an appointment on Thursday with an ENT. I'd be very interested to hear how your biopsy goes. Keep us all posted.

I really wish they could just give me a pill that gave me energy and I would be happy. I'm so tired of struggling to get my work done. I haven't been able to have a full time job for 8 years. Before that I worked full time and worked out a lot (I used to do sports in college and now I can't go on a jog without it knocking me out for the rest of the day). I really just want to feel better. I've gone through times like you where I thought I'd just eat better and stuff, but it made very little difference, and when I tried to start working out it just made me too tired to do anything else. I'm done whining now

Take care and good luck with your tests.

M

Closed Thread