It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Confused why doc is so concerned about lymph node!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User
    Confused why doc is so concerned about lymph node!

I went to the doctor yesterday to show him a somewhat painful lymph node at the base of my head where my neck meets. I woke up last week with the pain thinking I was bit by something and when I felt the area I noticed the enlarged node which is bigger than a pea but not by much. Anyway, he checked my scalp, my ears, my throat, nose, etc. and said there was no obvious sign of infection to cause the swelling. He said if it's not gone in a week then we need to CT scan it to make sure there aren't more and to see what's going on with it. He said infections are the usual causes for these things, but they also worry about lymphoma.

So, last night, I had terrible upper back pain and chest pain, so I went back to doc today about that. When he felt my neck, he said I have another swollen node on the other side. He said he didn't want to wait a week for the CT scan and that he will order it when he gets blood work back.

Why is he so concerned about this? I read stories of so many other people that have had these for a year or two and it doesn't seem like their doc is concerned enough. Don't get me wrong, I want my doc to be concerned, but it's just scaring me now thinking it really could be lymphoma or something. Anyone have a similar experience like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User
    Re: Confused why doc is so concerned about lymph node!

Thanks JRC - I definitely plan on cooperating with whatever they tell me. Still haven't gotten my bloodwork back to make sure my kidneys are fine in order to give me the dye with the ct scan. I'm assuming I'll be getting the ct scan tomorrow or Friday. What will the scan be able to tell them anyway? Does anyone know?

Old 03-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
    pinkmada
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkmada HB User

Donate, you are very lucky to have a doc who is doing all this so quickly. Perhaps he has had a previous similar situation? The CT scan is a computerised scan that will show a cross sectional image of your body.

I hope you are okay, it sounds like all this has happened very fast for you. Good luck with your scan and let us know how everything goes. We are all here for you if you need to talk or have questions.

Amanda
    xxx

Old 03-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Hello and thank you to those who responded to my post.

I got the results of my ct scan and I am still confused! All it really says is that the palpable abnormality in the right posterior neck coincides with a small subcentimeter lymph node and that there is no associated inflammation or induration otherwise seen. It says that there are no masses or mass effect upon the deep spaces of the neck.

The doctor wrote on the report to repeat the scan in 3 months and faxed it over to me.

This doesn't tell me if it is normal or why it is there. I'm still just as confused as I was.

Anyone had the same thing happen? If so, what happens next? Just wait the three months and then what?

Sorry, I'm sure no one can say for sure, just curious if anyone had any ideas.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Donte,

It sounds like they are waiting 3 weeks to see if there is any change is size. If the lymph node were to get larger they will probably want to do a biopsy to rule out lymphoma. Hang in there!

Deb

Old 03-31-2008, 03:18 AM   #6
    pinkmada
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkmada HB User

Hey Donte,
    i agree with everyone else, they will want to monitor it to see if it changes or grows. youre lymph nodes can stay enlarged for weeks after an infection or even if your body is fighting off an infection that you never felt ill with. i think its important to let your doctor know immediatly if you start to feel unwell or if you notice the nodes enlarge yourself.
    x

Old 03-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Thanks so much for all your replies - they have been so helpful!

Actually, what does make me worry is that I haven't felt well for a long time. I went to the doctor about a month ago complaining of fatigue. However, I am no stranger to fatigue. I do have some type of rheumatalogical condition which has never been pinpointed to a specific disease. At first I was told lupus, then, my diagnosis went to RA, and now my rheumy just refers to it as nonspecific connective tissue disease (something like that I can't remember). So, sometimes I do feel like I have the flu with aches and pains and fatigue, but no one knows if that's what it's from. My bloodwork has been pretty normal for a longtime. I did have a slightly elevated wbc consistently for about 3 years until a couple of months ago, now surprisingly it's sits at around 7.1, which is normal, but seems really low for what I'm used to.

As of this morning, I am starting to wonder if I don't have a gum infection or something because when I brushed my teeth, I had a MOUTHFUL of blood! I have had bleeding gums before in my life, but this was ridiculous. When I spit the toothpaste out, I couldn't even tell I had toothpaste in my mouth! Well, I'm going to the dentist today at 3pm to see if he can find out what's going on. I will be so happy if he tells me that's what it is. That could explain the lymph node in the back of my neck too, I think. I don't know, I will ask him.

I hope you are all doing well today. My prayers are with all of you and hope that you all will get through your illness as quickly as possible.

I will let you know what my dentist says...

Old 03-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Have you noticed if you are brusing easily?

Deb

Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Hi Deb,

No, I have no strange bruises, but I did go to the dentist today and he scared me to death!

He looked in my mouth and asked me if I had an iron deficiency that I knew of and asked if I've had a cbc done lately. I told him I had no iron deficiency and I just had a cbc done and it was normal. He asked me if I was SURE it was normal! As if he couldn't believe it would be normal by the looks of my mouth!! I was shocked. He said I need to have it re-done to make sure. He is foreign speaking so I don't know if he said my tounge was redder than it should be or not red enough. I know, I should have found out for sure, but I was so stunned that he was convinced something was going on. Also, he said the swollen lymph node would not be from my gums/teeth because I don't have pus and they don't look very bad. Plus, he said if they were that bad and I was going to have a swollen lymph node from it, it would be under my jaw, not in the back of my neck. Then he felt the node and said it felt like it was in the muscle or something.

Well, I have my rheumatologist appt tomorrow and I am going to see if he can shed some light on this for me. I do know that people with lupus can have all of these symptoms, but I've not officially been diagnosed with that, so it's hard for me to think that its from that.

So, here we go, another week of doctors and trying to figure out what's wrong.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

Please make sure you let your doctor know what the dentist said. There is something going on here and they need to get to bottom of it!

Please post after your appt.

Deb

Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

I will definitely be telling the doctor that something is not right and he needs to either confirm that it's due to the rheumy problem or rule it out. In the past, he has tended to tell me that It [I]could[I] be due to my disease but he doesn't know for sure. This time he is going to have to do what he needs to do to tell me for sure. I'm sure he'll give me a dose pack of steroids and tell me that if it works then that's the problem. He has done that before. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him though because when you have a patient that has normal bloodwork, what else can you do to find out what's going on?

My appointment is at 2:30 today and I will write afterward to let you know what he thinks.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Hi all,

I went to the rheumatologist yesterday but I didn't get much help. I told him what the dentist said and he didn't seem too concerned because my bloodwork was fine. He also said that all of my aches and pains and fatigue are a flare up of my disease. I said well please tell me exactly what my disease is because it has changed back and forth so much. He said it was mixed connective tissue disease because I have a crossover of lupus and rheumatod arthritis. I have symptoms of both. He said mine is quite mild compared to a lot of people with these diseases. He practically chastised me because I had went off of my medicine a long time ago thinking that I didn't really have anything wrong with me. I was convinced that it was just some longstanding virus because I haven't had any problems in two years. Well, after I got home yesterday, my pain increased x10. Literally, every joint in my body hurt and my muscles. The worst pain though is the bone pain in my legs and arms. I told him that I've never had that before, but he didn't seem worried.

About the lymph node - he said that people with lupus can have swollen lymph nodes with flares, but usually it's a lot more than just one. So, basically, he still can't confirm for me what the lymph node is from. He told me not to touch it and just check on it once a week to make sure it doesn't get bigger.

That's really about it. I had to stay home from work today because of my pain. He did put me back on Prednisone (just like I thought) and I took a dose last night along with a muscle relaxer, but I've had NO relief so far. In the past, the first dose of Prednisone would start making me feel better already. Now, I'm just worried that my disease is not the only thing making me feel like this. I don't know what to think. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. I'm worried though, cause my husband gave me a trip to europe for my bday and that's at the end of the month. I'm scared I'll be too sick to go. I just want to feel better before then.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
    Donte
    (female)

Donte HB User

Oh and I forgot to add, I'm especially worried about lymphoma because people with lupus are at risk for developing it. I'm not sure why, but I have taken Methotrexate before (about three years ago) for six months, which is what I think helped put me in remission with the lupus for so long. So, I worry that taking that could have done something to my cells.

Also, I forgot to ask - does anyone know anything about the significance of armpit pain? I have pain in both from the outer edge of my breast up around to the inner side of my arms. I've had this for over a week now. I've never had it as a sign of a flare up before. It's completely new to me. Just wondering if anyone has had this.

thanks,

D

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
    DebM412
    Veteran
    (female)

DebM412 HB User

I am going to suggest you obtain a 2nd opinion from another doctor. It is your right to do this and to know what is wrong with you. I would be apprehensive about the trip also. It is one thing to be sick within the same country but going out of the country is a different story. Let us know.

Deb

Last edited by DebM412; 04-02-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
    pinkmada
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkmada HB User

Donte, I certainly agree with Deb. Getting a second opinion is how many of us were finally dieagnosed. I was ill for months and the doctors thought i was making it up. I definatly think you should see a different doctor.
    good luck
    x

Closed Thread