It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Scared!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User
    Scared!!

I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions for someone with experience in lymph nodes. I have a lymph node on the left side of my neck about 0.5 to 1cm for a month now. I had a bout with Herpes Simplex 2 that is still going on...about 2 weeks now, but getting better. The lymph node seems to be going down a little bit, but I can still feel it. I am confused as to what it means when people say fixed or moveable. I can't move it around like some of my other nodes, but it is not hard like a rock either. It feels smushy..if that's a word, and sometimes it takes me a minute to find it. I do not have any other symptoms except worrying myself to death over this. I am having anxiety and fell a little depressed. Obsessing on the internet for hours at a time. Going to see my doctor again on Monday. I know the next step will be a biopsy. I had a skin cancer back in August and now I am scared of everything that pops up on me. Thaks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User
    Re: Scared!!

Hi.
    Welcome to the forum.
    First of all...take a deep breath.
    Lymph glands swell for all kinds of different reasons....
    I'm not an expert, but, I believe "fixed" is just like is sounds...you can 'not' move it at all.
    Moveable, again, is just that...it has some "play"...you can maneuver it around a bit.
    I urge you to stay off the internet, doing research. It can scare you to death and cause you to think the worst....plus, there's many bogus sites you just can't believe.
    I'm glad you're going to the doctor on Monday. You'll have some answers, then, hopefully.
    The best of luck to you.
    Try to remain positive and don't mess around with your lymph nodes much.
    You can actually enlarge them, by poking around---I know...I've been there.
    Keep us informed.
    S.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

Thank you so much for responding about my concerns. I can't quit touching the node...it is obsessing and I keep crying about it. My husband and I are adopting a baby and he is due on April 26th. I am overwhelmed with all of this and so afraid. Can a CT scan show cancer in your body? I would like to get that done first and then the biopsy. Just trying to figure out what other methods can detect cancer without having to be cut on. Thanks for any advise. I really do appreciate it!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Congrat's on the new baby! How exciting.
    Yes, I believe a Ct scan can show cancer...but, I think the protocol is a biopsy first.
    Your doctor will steer you in the right direction.
    Again...don't think the worst. I've been where you are, and if I had to do it over again, I would've worked on the "obsessing" part. You can actually lower your immunity, by being stressed, as I'm sure you know.
    You've got a lot "on your table" right now---try to keep your mind as positive as you can.
    Chances are, it's nothing....If it is, you've caught it early & that's "key."
    And, yes, please try to stop touching it.
    I think mine doubled in size, because of my obsessing over it & pressing on it (about a year ago).
    One good thing, you're expressing how you feel here.
    This is a good safe place, as compared to other sites, I believe.
    It's always good to vent---
    And the good thing is, you should have some answers tomorrow.
    God Bless.
    S.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

Thank you. I know that worrying is the worst thing that I can do, but I have so many things to think about. The what ifs are driving me crazy. And the thought of finding out bad news is really frightening. I keep thinking in my mind that I won't be able to get the baby and what about my husband. Life is so precious. I wish I would stop all this because it is getting me very depressed. What do they do when you have a biopsy? And how long does it take to get your results back?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Hi.
    I had my node removed for my biopsy, and they actually had the diagnosis, when I awoke from anesthesia.
    There's also excisional (I think that's the right word) bioposies, where they extract the cells with a needle...but, I hear those aren't as conclusive.
    Again, don't think the worst.
    Life is so full of adversity, and it's only through these hard times, we "really" learn how to cope. Just think how relieved you will feel, if & when it's "nothing." And like I said, if it is something....don't think the worst. Almost everything, caught early, is treatable.
    Do something today to take your mind off your problems.
    I've found positive reading helps.

S.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

Thank you. I actually was writing this email before I noticed you had already responded. If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you found out? What were your symptoms? Did they come on fast or slow? I just need some feedback to feel better about all this. Sorry for throwing all these questions at you. I really appreciate you responding back to me. You are very kind.

Last edited by angie0517; 03-30-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

I'm sure I'm much older than you...but, I've had "bad" glands all my life.
    I'm a singer, by profession---have been in smoky, bad atmospheres a lot (I don't smoke)
    and basically was stressed to the max, before I noticed my node. I was tired a lot---felt hot & cold a lot---was always feeling like I was getting a cold...which never came.
    I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's, about a year ago---and I still kind of blame myself.
    I'm in my early 50's....lost a sister, have aging parents, and was traveling too much, with a rather demanding schedule.
    Anyway...that's why I stress to "destress" so much. I needed to slow down.
    I still am a "work in progress."
    OK...enough about me...
    Stop worrying so much. I know it's easier said than done.
    This is the number # 1 problem I see most on this forum...and rightly so....the "not" knowing. You just have to tell yourself, you can only do so much. The best thing you can do, is try to relax, and ask questions tomorrow. Don't leave without answers.
    Have a cup of chamomile tea.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

You are very uplifting, but now I am having an anxiety attack I think. I just took my temp and it is 99.4. My husband is out of town until this afternoon and I feel like I am losing it. I have been on this computer since this morning. I went out last night with my friends. Drank too much and now it is affecting my emotions ten fold. I wish I would not have drank alcohol because I know it makes everything worse! I admire your strength and courage. You are awesome!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Thanks for the compliment.
    I've learned a lot through this whole journey....quite a bit.
    The fact that you have a fever, could mean an infection and that's why your glands are swelling. And yes, alcohol, when not at the "top of your game," is probably not a good idea.
    Fluids are good, but things like water & pure juices & tea.
    Take care of yourself.
    Stop searching the internet. Think positive.
    You're in my prayers.
    S.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

I went to the doctor this afternoon. He referred me to an ent and I have an appointment on Wednesday. He said they would either put me on another anitbiotice, do a cat scan or a biopsy. I am so scared and all my friends are scared to death for me too. My poor Mom is so worried and I fell terrible for having to involve all of these people. My husband told me today that he will not be able to handle all of this if it is something bad. With the baby and me and everything else, he just can't do it. I am so sad. My blood pressure was 140/100 today due to the anxiety of all of this so the doctor prescibed me valium. I feel like I am losing it!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Again...take a deep breath.
    This is all protocol. You want them to find anything that may be wrong....
    A round of antibiotics may "do" it... you need to stop thinking the worst.
    Just be glad your doctor is being thorough, and pushing you through quickly.
    Take your valium and again...stay off the internet.
    I have to laugh a bit....I tell people that all the time, and last night "I" actually went against my own judgement, and ---once again, scared myself.
    I'm suffering some repercussions from what I've been through--although it's getting better---but, when you think about it....Most people post their "horror" stories, and not particularly "success" stories. We can be our own worst enemies, by the undue stress we put on our minds/bodies.
    Relax. You may just have to postpone some things---but, that's "key"...."postpone."
    Or maybe you won't.
    It's common for everyone around you to start worrying, especially family...and a lot of times they have a tendency to say the wrong things.
    I know this isn't easy---but, you'll have answers soon....take one step at a time....
    And try, try, try to think of a positive outcome. Your blood pressure will thank you.
    God Bless.
    Keep me informed.
    S.

Last edited by singer78; 03-31-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
    angie0517
    (female)

angie0517 HB User

Thank you so much. I am a little more relaxed this evening. I keep trying to tell myself that there is nothing I can do until I know more. I have been reading a lot on this forum and it has really helped me a lot. I will try to stay positive and think happy thoughts. I will tell myself that even if the outcome is not what I hoped for, that I can live a long and healthy life. God Bless You.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #14
    singer78
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer78 HB User

Good for you.
    I'm glad you're relaxing a bit.
    Keep those positive thoughts coming.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I know this post is alittle outdated but I wanted to find out what happened to you Angie?
    did you have the biopsy? did you get any answers?
    I hope you don't have lymphoma and I wish you the best.
    I too went thru the same situation and I too was a nervous wreck the entire time it took from finding the lump to the end of getting the results of the biopsy.
    I'm sure the valium really helped too.
    I hope you are in bliss with your new baby and that every thing is going well.
    If you're still around here on the boards, please come and join us again.

sincerely,
    LInda

Closed Thread