It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Possibly Lymphoma

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User
    Possibly Lymphoma

I am a 17 year old male. For about 5 years, I've been able to feel lymph nodes in my groin, neck, and jaw area. About seven weeks ago I noticed some slight yellow coloration under my bottom eyelids in the whites of the eyes. I went to my family doctor last week and asked him about the yellow coloration and the lymph nodes. He suggested that the reason I might be able to feel my lymph nodes is because I'm pretty skinny(I always have been). He didn't notice any yellow in my eyes, but he said it could be Gilbert's Syndrome. Anway, I had blood work done and I'm still waiting on the results.

My questions are: What can this blood test tell me? and, assuming my lymph nodes are swollen, What could this possibly be besides Lymphoma if my lymph nodes have been swollen for 5 years? The last question is more important to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User
    Re: Possibly Lymphoma

I got my blood results back, and there is some stuff I'm worried about. I have high hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCH, monocytes, Eos, monocytes(absolute), glucose serum, and bilirubin. I have low platelets and neutrophils.

My doctor says I'll be fine, but I know thats not certain. He says the bilirubin is probably Gilbert's Syndrome. Is Gilbert's Syndrome more common than cancer?

I would like some answers from somebody.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User

hoogadaboogada

Last edited by jumpinaround; 05-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User

I had an ultrasound recently. The results show lymph nodes near the body of the pancreas and along the aorta. Atleast one of these lymph nodes is measured at 2.06 cm. I would absolutely love some feed back.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User

What is the purpose of these boards if nobody replies to the threads? Most people would like to have their questions answered rather quickly on topics such as this. My questions haven't been answered at all. I've already gone to the doctor twice since my first post. This board offers absolutely no useful information. I don't even know why I'm typing this because apparently nobody cares.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #6
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies. I know I reply if I feel I have anything to offer and I think most people around here are the same. I don't know anything about Lymphoma personally. My daughter-in-law's Mum was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago. She had a lump in the floor of her mouth, it was quite unusual and at first they thought she had some kind of oral cancer. The lump was biopsied and found to be lymphoma, she'd had the lump for 6 months or longer before she went to the Doctor. No other symptoms at all. Fortunately it hadn't spread and she had chemo and radiation and is in remission. The Oncologist has told her she has an 85% chance of a complete cure. I know that doesn't shed any light on your situation but I think the fact that she didn't have other symptoms, night sweats etc was indicative of the cancer being in it's early stages. I hadn't heard of Gilberts syndrome so I researched it on a reliable web site here in Australia. It says it's a common harmless disorder more common in males and often inherited, but most people don't even know they have it as the only symptom is the yellowing you mentioned. I really think if your lymph nodes have really been swollen for 5 years you would have other symptoms by now. Lymphoma has pretty specific symptoms, I don't think you could overlook them. I'm sorry your blood results and scan mean nothing to me. I think if I were you I'd talk to your Doctor and tell him your fears and ask him to explain your test results. I hope I have helped.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
    vh90453
    Veteran
    (female)

vh90453 HB User

Another thing, I can feel lymph nodes in the same areas you mentioned and more but they are just normal size. I really doubt very much you have lymphoma. Did the Doctor feel your nodes? He would know straight away if they were swollen. I can't imagine any Doctor ignoring widespread swollen nodes. My daughter-in-laws mother has checks every 3 months, they do that by feeling all the nodes in her body to see if they're swollen.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
    jumpinaround
    (male)

jumpinaround HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vh90453 View Post
    Another thing, I can feel lymph nodes in the same areas you mentioned and more but they are just normal size. I really doubt very much you have lymphoma. Did the Doctor feel your nodes? He would know straight away if they were swollen. I can't imagine any Doctor ignoring widespread swollen nodes. My daughter-in-laws mother has checks every 3 months, they do that by feeling all the nodes in her body to see if they're swollen.
    Thanks for that. I feel a little better about my situation now.

Closed Thread