It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Swollen lymph nodes....achey, tired....Thoughts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
    brodiddly
    (male)

brodiddly HB User
    Swollen lymph nodes....achey, tired....Thoughts?

Hey folks,

I'm a 25 year old male. In April (about 3 months ago) I noticed a swollen lymph node had popped up in my neck. I thought not too much of it....During the last little while I've noticed them popping up everywhere: behind my ear, groin and finally to rather large painless nodes under my collar bone on both sides, right next to my shoulder. I've been rather lack luster, have been experiencing low grade fever, headaches, slight depression, my back has started aching quite badly and am generally feeling sh*t.

I had a blood test and the beginning of June, everything was normal, white blood cell count etc...HIV neg (believe me I freaked out about that one....).

Am just not too sure what to do....I've been to the doctor, he said everything was relatively fine. I just haven't been feeling 100% for a good few months and am tiring of feeling rubbish most days....

Does anybody have any thoughts? Input? Would love to hear from anyone who is going through/ has been through the same thing!!

Not too sure where to turn at this point....

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
    dmchudson
    (female)

dmchudson HB User
    Re: Swollen lymph nodes....achey, tired....Thoughts?

You should go to your doc and get checked for Hodgkins lymphoma. If the nodes are not painful it could be lymphoma, if they are painful it could be an infection. Other symptoms for hodgkins lymphoma include weight loss, night sweats, and itching. It took me two years to get diagnosed. Mine started out with severe itching that started on my legs and spread up my whole body. I also had night sweats and weight loss. I found the lump in my neck above collar bone from itching.

Doctors kept telling me it was dry skin or eczema. I didn't believe it so I kept pursuing it. If I had been diagnosed two years ago it may have been stage II or III instead of stage IV.

If I were you I would get checked right away. The sooner you catch it the better off you are. Hodgkins if highly curable even in late stage.

Last edited by dmchudson; 07-14-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
    katzie
    (female)

katzie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brodiddly View Post
    Am just not too sure what to do....I've been to the doctor, he said everything was relatively fine. I just haven't been feeling 100% for a good few months and am tiring of feeling rubbish most days....

Thanks!!
    as an ex patient i strongly recommend you to see your doctor again!
    if the lymph nodes are still there you should mention hodgkins lymphoma
    to him and suggest an x-ray computed tomography or sonography.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
    brodiddly
    (male)

brodiddly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmchudson View Post
    You should go to your doc and get checked for Hodgkins lymphoma. If the nodes are not painful it could be lymphoma, if they are painful it could be an infection. Other symptoms for hodgkins lymphoma include weight loss, night sweats, and itching. It took me two years to get diagnosed. Mine started out with severe itching that started on my legs and spread up my whole body. I also had night sweats and weight loss. I found the lump in my neck above collar bone from itching.

Doctors kept telling me it was dry skin or eczema. I didn't believe it so I kept pursuing it. If I had been diagnosed two years ago it may have been stage II or III instead of stage IV.

If I were you I would get checked right away. The sooner you catch it the better off you are. Hodgkins if highly curable even in late stage.
    Thanks for the reply! Is lymphoma at all detectable through a blood count? I'm going to head back to the doc as soon as possible. Do you know of any other conditions that could attribute to these symptoms? Sorry for all the questions....sometimes the net can be a little overwhelming with information...

Thanks!
    B

Old 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
    katzie
    (female)

katzie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brodiddly View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Is lymphoma at all detectable through a blood count?
    no! a definitive diagnosis would be by lymph node biopsy. have you seen
    your doc yet?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
    brodiddly
    (male)

brodiddly HB User

I'm off to see the doctor this week. Am in between health insurance plans at the moment so will be in to the doc this week!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
    brodiddly
    (male)

brodiddly HB User

So I went back to the doc. He examined my lumps and proceeded to tell me they weren't at a concerning size. I'm not convinced. I rattled off the list of my current ailments and asked if I have been under a lot of stress recently...?!?! He's taken more blood which will be back in 5 days.

I have the feeling he will tell me to come back in 2 months if the lumps are still there...

I'm going to go to another doctor for a second opinion. It all seems to be getting a little worse each day.....Either that or I'm going crazy......

Not too sure what to do at this point....argh!!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
    TysMomHL
    (female)

TysMomHL HB User

I would firmly request a biopsy on the lymph nodes and possibly bone marrow. Blood tests are not always conclusive about what is going on. Do you have night sweats?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
    TysMomHL
    (female)

TysMomHL HB User

DMHudson,

What is the sub-type of your Hodgkins? Two years is long time to have lymphoma or my son was diagnosed early even at stage 4, he only had symptoms for 4 weeks.

TysmomHL

Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #10
    brodiddly
    (male)

brodiddly HB User

Hey so I thought I'd give you a little update...

I've been to see the doctor again. He examined me, told me the lymph nodes were not of a concerning size and took more bloods. The bloods came back totally fine, from what he told me the test was rather comprehensive, looking for an trouble in the lymphatic system, liver function, white blood count, everything was just normal. No sign of any viral infection.

I've been to another doctor for a second opinion. She gave me a full medical examination. She couldn't seem to explain the large nodes beneath my collar bone. She seemed to think that some of my smaller swollen nodes were from another infection (Which is quite puzzling as I haven't been sick at all). She also wanted to rule out the possibility of lymphoma.

I guess I'm still a little baffled about the whole thing.....I seem to have a revolving array of symptoms...One tends to be replaced by the other. The latest is slightly blocked ears and now a constant ringing...

Should I request a scan/biopsy/both? Most people (my mother included) seem to think I've somehow manifested these symptoms or I'm being a hypochondriac and I just need to accept that I'm "healthy".

I'm a lot happier with the second doc, I will take my blood test results to her and proceed from there. Any other pearls of wisdom anyone could contribute to this on-going saga of mine?

Brodie

Closed Thread