It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Swollen Lymphnodes for 14 years. What is going on? Please read and help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
    Cole5220
    (male)

Cole5220 HB User
    Swollen Lymphnodes for 14 years. What is going on? Please read and help!

I am a 27 year old white male. Here is my unique story.

I noticed swollen nodes in my neck when I was in the 7th grade. They spread to my groin, behind my ears, in front of my ears, and one on my collar bone (left side). Then they stopped, haven't grown, never hurt, I have always felt great.

I have never been to a doctor to have them looked at. I am affraid to do that. You see my mom had tons of medical problem while I was growing up. Alcoholic, Bi-Polar etc. No cancer or anything like that. Basically I didn't want to burden my family more.

So the years have gone by and I have kept my little secret from EVERYONE. My wife and I have been dating since we were in the 9th and 10th grade respectively. She has no clue. I wish I could tell her, but I can't.

I live a very active lifestyle. Run marathons, work out 4-6 days a week, and do occasional triathlons.

I have always had this sneaking worry in the back of my mind that I have some terrible cancer waiting to eat me up. Lately I have been worried more than normal because my side started hurting and through my own research I diagnosed an enlarged spleen. Maybe I am wrong, maybe not. Anyway, that is actually getting better with rest.

Also, I have been very stressed out. I work in a family business and it is extremely stressful, I am finishing up college at UF and that is very stressful too, little things have been making me blow up.

Sometimes I feel confused, get in a panic, etc.

I want to know what is going on with me. Does anyone have any ideas? Can I rule out cancer?

Do this for me if nothing else, Pray for me to get better. I want to "heal up" and feel normal again for the first time in years. My wife and I are ready to start a family, I want to be around for her so badly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
    Cole5220
    (male)

Cole5220 HB User
    Re: Swollen Lymphnodes for 14 years. What is going on? Please read and help!

I really wish someone would say something here. This is driving me crazy. I am not able to function right. I just want to get an idea of what is going on with me.

I went to ***** that made me think I have no chance of living. All I get out of that is that I have cancer. Don't know what to think.

I think the anxiety is making me sick right now. I can't concentrate on anything for more than 5 minutes without my mind coming back to my health.

Please help me out!!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
    ween
    (female)

ween HB User

It could be Lyme Disease. Any chance you could have been bittem by a tick and didn't realize it. This happened to my daughter when she was five and her first symptom was swollen lymphnodes.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
    Cole5220
    (male)

Cole5220 HB User

Lyme disease?

Would it have lasted this long with no symptoms other than lymph nodes?

Don't think I was ever bit by a tick

Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
    Squlenamla123
    (male)

Squlenamla123 HB User

Hi Cole!

I understand exactly how you fell, I'm 14 years old and instead of having swollen lymph nodes I have had a lump in my lower left abdomen for 4+ years and I'm too afraid to go to the doctor.

Anyways, if you did have cancer you would have seen some more symptoms already, swollen lymph nodes for 14 years or more without symptoms is proboably something else. Just because you have swollen lymph nodes does not mean that you have cancer there are many causes.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
    ween
    (female)

ween HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cole5220 View Post
    Lyme disease?

Would it have lasted this long with no symptoms other than lymph nodes?

Don't think I was ever bit by a tick
    We never noticed that our daughter was bitten by a tick. It usually leaves a bullseye marking, but we believe her bite was on her scalp and she is a brunette so we did not see the bullseye.

And yes, people go for years and years with Lyme Disease and don't know what the heck is wrong with them. Some just feel a little off....others more severe. Who knows where you were at age 14. It is more prevalent in some states than others, but I would start researching that. If I were you, I would definitely check into it. How are your joints? My daughters eyes looked a little glazed too, but the main symptom were the swollen lymphnodes. They looked like golf balls.

ETA: My daughter is now 13 and at five she went on a month long dose of antibiotics. Her lymphnodes went right back down. As I recall, the testing for Lyme Disease at that time was not that definitive. It was more of a not being able to "rule it out" type diagnosis. Hope that makes sense. We never got a 100% certainty that she had Lyme Disease, but after she took the antibiotic for a month her lymphnodes went back to normal and joint pain disappeared so we assume she did have Lyme Disease. Also, I have heard somewhere that there is some kind of relation between Lou Gehrig's Disease and undiagnosed Lyme Disease. I could be wrong on that though.

Last edited by ween; 07-21-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Closed Thread