It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Lymphadenopathy Neck; Normal CBC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User
    Question Lymphadenopathy Neck; Normal CBC

My PCP and ENT have been monitoring swollen lymph nodes in my neck for a month now. I see them again in two weeks (6 week mark).

It started as a single node under my chin (left side) in the submental region. Ultrasound confirmed this to be a lymph node, normal appearing, 1 cm.

Then they spread across my neck through the submandibular region to my left ear.

And now I have swollen nodes traveling down the anterior cervical region.

Clinically all of these additional nodes beyond the first have been said to be approx 1cm, give or take a little. I have not had a repeat ultrasound.

Some are rubbery and slingshot back into place. Some feel like slightly moveable peas. Some feel like beans.

The doctors indicated that they are not worried yet and want me not to worry.

My CBC is normal. My throat has been scoped; also normal. I have no obvious signs of infection. I've taken antibiotics as instructed despite a normal CBC.

Generally, I feel very good. I have had about 10 episodes of night sweats (just back of shirt and neck wet; no need to change sheets) or nighttime hot flashes over the past 8 months and quite a bit of feeling good, not so good, feeling good, not so good - but never entirely run down or out of my game.

It's important to note that the area where these lymph nodes first appeared is an area that I have been bringing to my PCP's and ENTs attention for more than 9 months now. I reported that area seemed a little swollen, thicker, and was causing me to work to swallow. I don't recall anyone ever pressing on it in such a way, including myself, that would have found swollen lymph nodes. Nothing ever came of it, but I raised it on at least 4 occasions in the last 9 months. And now, in that same area, we have found swollen lymph nodes.

I feel like the underlying cause is there or there has been a swollen node in that area for a very long time that was causing me sensitivity. Area: Where head meets neck, left side of larynx.

It's also important to note that no one has checked other areas of my body for swollen nodes but I am so hypersensitive that I feel like I would know if there were other swollen nodes.

My questions are this:
    1. Can you have a normal CBC, swollen lymph nodes that seem to be multiplying (same area of the body) and have a cause other than Lymphoma? if yes, what can it be?
    2. At what point do you biopsy? Sitting in the 1cm range, I don't seem to fall into the "no brainer" category for biopsy. If this were somewhere less visible like my groin, I would be discussing at length a biopsy. But this is my neck.

Suggestions are welcome!

Thank you!

Last edited by Upatnight; 04-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User
    Re: Lymphadenopathy Neck; Normal CBC

The lymph node is now 1.7cm as opposed to 1cm 30 to 40 days ago. Both sizes come from Ultrasound. The ENT is somewhat on the fence but has decided to excise the node and biopsy it. It's too small for a needle biopsy of any kind. He said if it were in a location that where the scar would show more than it will here, he would wait. The surgery is two weeks away. I wish it was sooner. I will post again after surgery and again after the results come in. The doctor says he is not worried.

Last edited by Upatnight; 04-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lymph nodes, lymphadenopathy, neck