It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• biopsy results Help LOL

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User
    Question biopsy results Help LOL

Hi guys, I had my lymph node biopsy and received my results;

In a few areas there arer small mature lymphocytes infiltrating the germinal centers. There are also farily large number of small, mature lymphocytes present in the somewhat dilated lymph node sinuses. Immunophentyping by immunoperoxisase (sp hard to read) stains showed the small lymphocytes colonizing the germinal center to be CD-3 positive T lymphocytes. there are a few T-cell nodules present. CD20 highlights the germinal centers as well as the surrounding mantle zones. There is no evidence of Cyclin Df Overexpression. CDC highlights normal reticular denchritic cell networks. The B lymphocytes do not appear to show abnormal cdexpression of either Bcl-2, CD5, or CD43. Findings are that of a benign reactive process.

comment: these are nonspecific and may be seen in a vareity of viral infections or autoimmune conditions. Clinical correlation is recommended. Also see the cytometry report (below) for correlation

cytometry
    t Lymphocytes
    cd3 82%
    cd6 81%
    cd7 50%
    cd3/4 50
    cd3/8? 25

b -
    cd20 18
    cd19 19
    cd5/19 3%
    cd23/20 9
    kappa 9
    lamba 5

other cd10 1
    cd38.19 11
    fmc7 9
    cd16/56 0
    cd14 2
    cd45 bright

Flow cytometry panel preformed on this lymph node specimen gardling on bright cd45 cells with low side scatter shows a dominent T cell population and shows normal expresson of cd3 cd5 and cd7 with a normal cd4:cd8ratio. The smaller b cell population shows normal expression of cd19 and 20 w/out abnormal expression of cd5 or 23. there is no evidence of monoclonal light chain restriction. See surgical pathology report for correlation... (above)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User
    Re: biopsy results Help LOL

I can't make anything out of that. My report was nothing near that level of detail.

Mine has a sentence and a single paragraph. I got the results today. It took 11 days. REACTIVE LYMPH NODES WITH SINUS HISTIOCYTOSIS

The lymph node tissue demonstrates feasters of a reactive inflammatory process (e.g. viral infection). However, lymph proliferative lesions are often not detectable on routine histology alone. For that reason, screening immunochemistry has been requested to exclude a small possibility of lymph proliferative disorder. Results will be issued in an Adendum report.

I was expecting something MUCH more detailed like yours and MUCH faster.

My doctor indicate that the only thing that has been done at this point is a stained slide reviewed via microscope and that we have good news. The real test is yet to be done and I should have results in 2 weeks. That test is flow cytometry.

But I am very confused because the report I have indicates the tissue tested was is in formalin when my doctor assured me he sent fresh tissue which I understand to be needed in order to do proper flow cytometry testing. I don't understand what is taking so long.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User
    Unhappy Re: biopsy results Help LOL

I can't make anything out of that. My report was nothing near that level of detail. Will your doctor go over it with you soon???

Mine has a sentence and a single paragraph. I got the results today. It took 11 days. REACTIVE LYMPH NODES WITH SINUS HISTIOCYTOSIS

The lymph node tissue demonstrates features of a reactive inflammatory process (e.g. viral infection). However, lymphoproliferative lesions are often not detectable on routine histology alone. For that reason, screening immunochemistry has been requested to exclude a small possibility of lymph proliferative disorder. Results will be issued in an Adendum report.

I was expecting something MUCH more detailed like yours and MUCH faster.

My doctor indicated that the only thing that has been done at this point is a stained slide reviewed via microscope and that we have good news. But we can't rule out cancer at this time. The real test is yet to be done and I should have results in 2 weeks. That test is flow cytometry.

But I am very confused because the report I have indicates the tissue tested was in formalin when my doctor assured me he sent fresh tissue which I understand to be needed in order to do proper flow cytometry testing. I don't understand what is taking so long.

Last edited by Upatnight; 05-13-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typos

The following user gives a hug of support to Upatnight:
    naenae80 (05-14-2013)
    Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User

naenae80 - Does your report not have a summary or diagnosis section on it? As I read your report again, it looks like your report includes flow cytometry which mine is yet to undergo. I can't believe how much faster your processing has been.

naenae80 (05-14-2013)
    Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User
    When I get home ill type it all out

Sent from my iPhone using HealthBoards

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User

so is this the final biopsy report or will there be another final one? is the benign reactive process - a final accurate decision? lol I see the doc Thursday.

gross description ( it is had to read it is a bad copy)

ok here we go :

right cervical lymph nodes= are two lymph nodes ranging from 0.8 to 1.5cm in greatest dimension. A portion of the lymph node is sterilery removed and submitted for culture. A second portion of the lymph node is removed and placed in RPMI for flow cytometry studies. Cytologic touch preps are made. Remaining lymph node tissue from both nodes is submitted in a single casette labeled...

microscopic:
    Sections are of lymph node tissue. Follicular architecture is partitally intact. In a few areas there arer small mature lymphocytes infiltrating the germinal centers. There are also farily large number of small, mature lymphocytes present in the somewhat dilated lymph node sinuses. Immunophentyping by immunoperoxisase (sp hard to read) stains showed the small lymphocytes colonizing the germinal center to be CD-3 positive T lymphocytes. there are a few T-cell nodules present. CD20 highlights the germinal centers as well as the surrounding mantle zones. There is no evidence of Cyclin Df Overexpression. CDC highlights normal reticular denchritic cell networks. The B lymphocytes do not appear to show abnormal cdexpression of either Bcl-2, CD5, or CD43. Findings are that of a benign reactive process.

Final pathology :
    Histologic findings consistent with benign reactive process.

then the cytometry report:

cytometry
    t Lymphocytes
    cd3 82%
    cd6 81%
    cd7 50%
    cd3/4 50
    cd3/8? 25

b -
    cd20 18
    cd19 19
    cd5/19 3%
    cd23/20 9
    kappa 9
    lamba 5

other cd10 1
    cd38.19 11
    fmc7 9
    cd16/56 0
    cd14 2
    cd45 bright

comment:
    Flow cytometry panel preformed on this lymph node specimen gardling on bright cd45 cells with low side scatter shows a dominent T cell population and shows normal expresson of cd3 cd5 and cd7 with a normal cd4:cd8ratio. The smaller b cell population shows normal expression of cd19 and 20 w/out abnormal expression of cd5 or 23. there is no evidence of monoclonal light chain restriction. See surgical pathology report for correlation... (above)

final pathologic diagnosis: cannot read - not a good copy -
    no immunophentotypic evidence of lymphoprelliferalive disorder.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User

What luck to not be able to read the entire diagnosis. Much of it seems 'uneventful'. Some sounds very good. But truly I have absolutely no idea how to read this. Good luck at the doctor Thurs. Are you seeing an ENT who removed the node or are you seeing an oncologist Thurs? ALso, as much as I am not helpful to you in deciphering this... your report is helping put some of the pieces of my puzzle together so I truly do thank you for sharing. It's very kind of you and I continue to wish you all the best.

naenae80 (05-14-2013)
    Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User

hey uppity! (lol)

I know - it stinks to not be able to read half of it..the weird thing is all the talk about the t-cells ... seems odd to me = i guess the bottom line is that it isn't normal and something is up somewhere but just have to wait for Doc to explain. I'll let you know..>I find out Thursday

How have you been feeling? My neck is just ridiculously painful...not necessarily the incision but the neck - same hurting as before the sx

let me know also!! okay!?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-14-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User

ENT - btw - the guy who did it!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
    naenae80
    (female)

naenae80 HB User

i think the cd6 is suppose to be cd5