It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lymphomas Message Board

• Non-Hodgkin's Mono or Lymphoma??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
    tep863
    (female)

tep863 HB User
    Question Mono or Lymphoma??????

Should I be worried? My 18 year old daughter has a low grade fever off and on for a few months, drenching night sweats, weight loss and loss of appetite, headaches, and bumps on the side of her neck. All of these symptoms have been off and on this past year while away at college. Now that she is away at a summer job, all of her symptoms have occurred at once. She went to an urgent care doctor who gave her a monospot test which came back positive for mono. I am not as confident in the test as I have heard lymphoma can be misdiagnosed as mono.

What should I do? What other tests should I ask for? Am I being paranoid? Her paternal grandfather died of Hodgkins lymphoma so is this a factor? Any advice or help would be so welcomed. I don't want to lose time if we should be more proactive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User
    Re: Mono or Lymphoma??????

You are not being paranoid. It's your child and your right. : ) Always follow your instincts is my advice. But I think you should also relax a bit for this reason... You have a mono diagnosis. Many people often go in hoping it's mono and it's not... and they often panic and post on these boards. So I would see mono as a good news piece of information. However, go to a doctor other than urgent care. Seek a second opinion on mono vs something else. The symptoms you describe as I understand it, can be symptoms of lymphoma. But as you know they apparently can also be symptoms of mono and your daughter was positive for a mono test. I don't know about the risk factors associated with relatives who have had lymphoma. But again, see the mono as good news but go get a second opinion. You also want to have a full blood workup and know the size of the swollen lymph nodes in her neck and where they are located. That's all pertinent information. Also maybe do some research on how and why lymphoma is often misdiagnosed as mono. That may help you in your investigation. Don't quit just yet. But also don't worry too much either. The only true way, as I understand it, to diagnose lymphoma is by biopsy. I am not a doctor and have only just dealt with the possibility of having lymphoma myself. I am 41 years old. So take all of this advice as simply my opinion. Good luck!

Last edited by Upatnight; 06-05-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: typo

Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
    tep863
    (female)

tep863 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have read other boards and I don't want to panic or worse, make my daughter freak out. I'm not thrilled her only option was an urgent care but it was the only medical facility in the remote area she's at for the next 6 weeks. My plan of action will be to get her to her primary doctor as soon as she gets home.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
    Upatnight
    (female)

Upatnight HB User

I am thinking like a mom. : ) 6 weeks, huh? Ok her's an idea. Have her get the mono report, the paper report and you shuffle that over to a doctor locally in your area and see what they say. i.e. Is it safe to wait for 6 weeks? Is that the right and valid test for mono? Is it a solid way to test for mono? Should she be doing anything else like general bloodwork at the urgent care near her while we wait for 6 weeks? Good luck! Hugs!

Closed Thread

Tags
    lymphoma, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis