It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• menopause and hrt questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
    lululala
    (female)

lululala HB User
    menopause and hrt questions

Hi everyone here's a brief insight into my drama so that anyone that does reply fully understands me,here goes. 3 years ago had hysterectomy due to dreadful monthlys and severe anaemia. Had a relatively easy 3 years after that apart from bowel problems (curtesy of the operation) yet i figured it was a small price to pay after my huge suffering so I managed.Firstly I noticed my heart beating fast for no reason at any time of the day,I ignored it, it just became part of me,I work in health so I would be aware of any major health concerns. Then out of nowhere came these amazing hot flushes always in the evening and especially during sleep! Then in the daytime up to teatime I now experience the most freezing cold episodes I could set my watch by them - I cannot warm up and have to take a hot bath to shake it off.I have also noticed my hair shredding lots I've gone from having thick long wavy hair to having it cut short and its really going thin. My legs and my underarms do not grow hair anymore or it is very slight,my norm was 2 days in I would need to shave.And my sex life is suffering I have lost interest and become sore for almost any reason. I realised I needed my GP,he made me swallow twice to check my thyroid huh, did an ECG said that was normal, took bloods. 3 weeks later the GP receptionist said the doctor told her to call me and that my hormone levels were acceptable and I was in menopause, I could have told her that! I have now made an apt to ask for HRT, my whole life is being determined by this awful transformation in me including brainfog I dont feel I function as I could and am devastated as to what its doing to me. Sorry for the length of my drama but any help will be so much appreciated as I don't have faith in this GP. I don't know much about HRT so welcome any info how do i get it what it may/may or not do and any1 taking it with their own experiences,anything at all,I am so hopeful just finding this forum. So thank you to anyone that replies, my name is Lulu and apparently I'm in menopause!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2015, 05:56 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: menopause and hrt questions

Well I've been on HRT for 12 years and all is great. I hAve none of the issues you listed because I am on it. I started having all those symptoms when I was around 50 and still having periods. They changed my birth control pills and every symptom was gone in 2 weeks time. And they've stayed gone ever since. We switched over to HRT at age 57 as I was skipping periods even on the pill. My sister has been on it for about 30 years since her hysterectomy. I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you at yours.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

I also had a hysterectomy (in 2006). And, like you, it triggered bowel problems which were pretty severe. I also lost a lot of hair (and still do) but my leg and underarm hair still grow. For me, the emotional and mental effects of surgical menopause (severe depression, anxiety, inability to think or remember, lack of focus) were worse than the physical. HRT has helped a lot!

Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
    MARIAMARIA33
    (female)

MARIAMARIA33 HB User

can someone tell me what medications are given for HRT? Is it Estrogen?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

If you have your uterus, you should take a progestin or progesterone with the estrogen. Estrogen alone will cause the uterine lining to thicken which increases risk for abnormal cells to develop. There are many different HRT's - patches, pills, gels. And you can take a combined one that contains both hormones or two separate ones. Hope this helps!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:33 AM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I take a combined pill daily- Activella. It comes in 2 different strengths. I know several women on t his one. I was also on FemHRT but changed to the Activella when my insurance changed. Both worked equally well.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
    jw90
    (female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User

sound to me like you need to have your thyroid checked being cold all the time and losing your hair is a symptom of that plus lots of others..get a thyroid panel done I am now on meds for that..also I'm 69 and been on bioidentical hormones for at least 18 years but also have to be on thyroid meds..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jw90; 04-22-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hysterectomy