It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause troubles - What is this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
    Kristin098
    (female)

Kristin098 HB User
    Perimenopause troubles - What is this?

Iím just going to bite the bullet and pose my questions because Iím petrified of getting sick again at any time.

First of all, Iíve always avoided going to the doc. Always. (To be truthful, the meds theyíve put my mother on have made her even worse and given her more ailments). Iíve always been the healthiest person in my family, but over the past couple of years Iíve hit perimenopause. (Early 40ís).

Back in the beginning of October was the first time it really affected me, and since then Iíve had pain in my left ovary. (I think it was my first UTI because a few times I did lose control of my bladderÖ totally new to me and humiliating). A lot of the time I donít even think about it because I donít feel it so much until Iím doing some chore like putting away the dishes and I bump up against the counter top, or maybe Iím just sitting with my dog and when they step on meÖ ouch!

So last week I was battling a pinched nerve in my neck, etc. Once that got better, come Sunday I was in the most horrific pain Iíve ever felt. At first, I just woke up with a nervous stomach. (Kind of like bugs crawling around. I get this from time to time and itís not fun. My mother says what I describe was like when she quit smoking, soÖ Iíve no idea how she did it. I would have just picked up the cigarette). So thatís how it started, but then I had diarrhea although by this time I still didnít have any stomach cramps. Other than the nervous feeling, I felt normal. (FYI: I had skipped last monthís period, and on Sunday was my third day of finally having one again. Other than missing periods, or being lateÖ theyíre not heavier than normal. I also havenít had any symptoms like depression, hot flashes, etc).

Fastforward a couple hours later and I was in hell. Just like back in October I started feeling those gassy pains/cramps. Just wave after wave of them. Then came pain low in my uterus and in my pelvis on my right side. It was like a relentless ache, and I mean RELENTLESS. It was impossible to get comfortable in bed, it was nearly impossible to get out of bed. It was hell. The pain literally made you cry out, and going to the ER was out of the question because againÖ. the pain was so terrible I didnít even see how I could make it to the ER. It was like a survival mechanism to just push through this, and then once I feel better make a doc appointment.

And, just like back in October, it was really hard to just move in order to get out of bed. (That first day I was also very lightheaded and felt pukey, which I initially attributed to just not getting much sleep the previous night because my nervous stomach woke me up at 3 am, and ever since childhood Iíve had trouble battling an upset stomach/forcing myself to eat when I have to get up early). And also, just like back in October, there was a sharp pain in my hipbone. (I think thatís probably partly because of my mattress. I think itís a possibility anyway because these two times that I got so ill were the only times Iíve felt it and after a few days it goes away. It feels like a nerve). This time I also vomited about 3 times. Iím thinking the vomiting might have been from the pain. It was really intense, and Iíve heard that does happen. I was already in hell, so retching on top of thatÖ kill me now.

Since the worst has passed Ė the pain in the pelvis and bladder, which lasted probably a day and a half Ė Iíve forced myself to get up and move around. (To do so I had to use a freakiní walking stick like I was Gandalf in Lord of the Rings!) Today Iím able to move around more Ė without the Gandalf stick Ė although my ribs and right side and back are really sore. (Iím thinking thatís from the stress of the vomiting).

I really think all this has to do with perimenopause because Iíve never had any troubles like this before. That canít be coincidence.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? I look up all these things online and they just confuse me more.

Until I see the doc, can you offer any advice? Iíve been taking Estroven that you get at the store, but obviously thatís not enough.

But yes, I will go to the doctor. (Very grudgingly. You have no idea how terrified and humiliated I am at the thought of going to a gynecologist). But until then, please offer some advice. Thanks in advance. It is appreciated.

FYI - Please pardon how I've rushed through the typing of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
    Kristin098
    (female)

Kristin098 HB User
    Re: Perimenopause troubles - What is this?

Since I can't edit my original post, I'll have to add it here:

I forgot to mention that I didn't have a fever when this was happening, and I am getting around better today although I'm really sore. (From the vomiting after being bedridden from the pinched nerve last week). I'm not longer sore in my uterus or ovaries. (Although the left one is usually sore, but only if it's touched. It doesn't really bother me so much). What is still sore, other than my ribs and back - still hurts to breathe - is the area next to the right hipbone. I really hope it isn't related to the appendix, but when you add in the fact that this started after I finally had another menstrual cycle (after skipping one last month)... one would think it's hormonal. I don't recall any severe pain at my bellybutton either.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

This isn't normal perimenopause troubles. Please see a doctor as soon as possible.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sounds like it could be your gallbladder which is not unusual in menopausal women. Even if it isn't that, it probably is just some digestive complaint. But you do need to go to the doctor. They can help with all the symptoms.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
    Kristin098
    (female)

Kristin098 HB User

Just wanted to update.

It took forever to find a doc. (Every time I'd call, the doctor was either no longer there or not accepting new patients or HMO). FINALLY, I got to use my mother's doctor because she was accepting HMO.

What can I say except that the $300 a month for insurance... (which I'm being forced to pay against my will and wallet)... has been pretty worthless. (I later came to understand that when you purchase your insurance through Marketplace, the docs do the least amount of tests). All they did was an exam (poking around) and then a urine test. What I was hoping for was a CT Scan because that would have told me point blank if stones or something involving the gallbladder/pancreas/appendix was involved. Even a urine test can't tell you if it's kidney stones. (I know because everyone in my family gets them).

She kept saying it wasn't gallbladder, and perhaps one possibility was endometriosis... or just a really bad period. (I wanted to argue with her because for 3 days after the intense pain stopped I was using a dang walking stick to walk. I couldn't even stand upright. I don't think that's related to a period And I really want to avoid going to a gyno if I can. I have the worst anxiety at the thought). She made me feel like I was a hypochondriac, so when she asked how intense the pain was on a scale from 1 - 10, I lied. I downgraded it from an 8 to a 6.

I knew going in that it was a possibility that she wouldn't be much help. (She hasn't helped my mother much and does not listen to her). But with a CT Scan I would KNOW for sure what it was... or wasn't.

Anyway... for now I'm just eating more veggies and fruits and have started juicing and taking Vitamin C and Evening Primrose Oil.

The only thing I can say after going to the doc is that I don't have an infection. I think for $300 a month, and only going to the doc this one time, I should have been able to rule out a lot more, but.... the health care system is what it is these days.

For now I do feel a lot better (which also makes me wonder if that's one reason why I felt like she wasn't taking me seriously), but I gotta say... it takes a while for me to straighten up my posture after sitting down for even a little bit. I have a really good mattress on my bed, but sometimes it gives me lower back trouble. Maybe that's all that is, but still.... the timing can't be a coincidence.

I don't know....

Old 05-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A CT scan is not what you want. An ultrasound is better for gallbladder issues. Just so you know....

Old 05-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
    Kristin098
    (female)

Kristin098 HB User

Yeah, I've read about both those. Either way, either one is better than a simple urine test. I think my $305 a month (and rising) should cover a lot more than that.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

A blood test may have indicated raises billirubin which is also another gb sign

Old 05-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #9
    Kristin098
    (female)

Kristin098 HB User

I am so frustrated. My right ovary has now been starting to give me fits. I want so badly to battle this holistically, without humiliating myself by going to a gynecologist. (MAJOR fear there, and besides... my health insurance - which isn't cheap at over $300 a month - is apparently pretty useless. I learned that firsthand this week).

All of this (perimenopause) is just beginning for me, and I don't see any hope in getting through this on my own. This is all just completely shutting down my life.

I've been eating more fruits and veggies, taking Vitamin C, started juicing, am continuing to take Probiotics, and started taking Evening Primrose Oil (my sister was told to take that by her gynecologist), and yesterday I started using the Progensa 20 lotion.

Sleeping well at night is impossible, because of the pain/discomfort on my right side. (Particularly in the right ovary). It's so frustrating that even if I sit down for just 1 or 2 minutes, simply standing up and walking around takes some effort at first. It takes a while to be able to stand up straight. (When I told the doctor this, she just ignored me).

Sorry. I know no one can help and that the only (possible) solution is going to a gynecologist. I just really, really wish to avoid that but... it looks like I'm beat here. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You might be able to talk the PCP into giving you birth control. But you really need to go to the gyno. Take a valium before if you have access to that and take someone with you. And see a female gyno!

Closed Thread