It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Getting Overheated and excessive sweating

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
    TrancyTara
    (female)

TrancyTara HB User
    Exclamation Getting Overheated and excessive sweating

Hello everyone. I've noticed something that started a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if it's maybe perimenopause or if it could be something else that I should worry about. I'm turning 39 in 5 days. It's been extremely hot here in Florida for the last couple of weeks (hotter than normal for N. FL) and I've noticed that when I'm outside, even for a short amount of time (say walking from the house to the car, or just taking out the garbage) I get extremely hot and start sweating profusely. My hair get soaking wet underneath and I can feel it running down my face and back. Once I get inside, it takes almost an hour to cool off completely and stop sweating. And while I'm waiting to cool off, my face will feel completely sunburned. After about an hour, when I've started to cool off and stop sweating my face will still feel like I have a sunburn. I've noticed I get extremely hot when I get out of the shower as well. Used to be that if I took a pretty cool shower, it wouldn't happen. Now it happens no matter what and I can't continue to get ready for work because I can't do my makeup when I'm sweating that badly. Can someone tell me if this is probably just my hormones or possibly something more alarming? Also, any ideas to help me cool off more quickly, especially in the mornings after I shower, would be most appreciated!! Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can impart on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
    atljb
    (female)

atljb HB User
    Re: Getting Overheated and excessive sweating

I'm older than you (53) and going thru menopause now and I'm the same way especially after showers (even cool ones). I stand in front of the air conditioner just to be able to put a bra on😥! Sorry I don't have better advice just wanted you to know your not alone!!

Old 07-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

INteresting question. I was going through this when I was in my early 30s and thought it was crazy! I would get out of a hot shower and start to blow dry hair and be soaking wet within minutes...and miserable! My emotions were all over the place. My GYN tested me and found nothing. I was not perimenopausal.

A few weeks later I fell. For no reason. Out of the blue. I was in great shape and have never fallen before! A week later I woke up with a numb hand and fingers. This led me to the doctor (thinking pinched nerve) and a MRI. Turned out I had multiple Sclerosis...and one of the symptoms is heat sensitivity.

Fast forward 12 years later. I have zero problems handing my MS but the sweats started again, exactly how you explain them. NOW I am being told I am in menopause! I cant go by my cycle, because I had an ablation and dont bleed monthly..so I have to go by FSH tests. I would suggest that you go see your GYN and ask for a FSH test or anything else they might recommend to see if this is hormonal.

Good luck and my heart goes out to you. Its been 104 degrees where I live the past few weeks and I feel like I am a wet noodle!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
    TrancyTara
    (female)

TrancyTara HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by atljb View Post
    I'm older than you (53) and going thru menopause now and I'm the same way especially after showers (even cool ones). I stand in front of the air conditioner just to be able to put a bra on😥! Sorry I don't have better advice just wanted you to know your not alone!!
    Thank you for your response. It's makes me feel a little better to know I'm not crazy or just imagining this.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #5
    TrancyTara
    (female)

TrancyTara HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    INteresting question. I was going through this when I was in my early 30s and thought it was crazy! I would get out of a hot shower and start to blow dry hair and be soaking wet within minutes...and miserable! My emotions were all over the place. My GYN tested me and found nothing. I was not perimenopausal.

A few weeks later I fell. For no reason. Out of the blue. I was in great shape and have never fallen before! A week later I woke up with a numb hand and fingers. This led me to the doctor (thinking pinched nerve) and a MRI. Turned out I had multiple Sclerosis...and one of the symptoms is heat sensitivity.

Fast forward 12 years later. I have zero problems handing my MS but the sweats started again, exactly how you explain them. NOW I am being told I am in menopause! I cant go by my cycle, because I had an ablation and dont bleed monthly..so I have to go by FSH tests. I would suggest that you go see your GYN and ask for a FSH test or anything else they might recommend to see if this is hormonal.

Good luck and my heart goes out to you. Its been 104 degrees where I live the past few weeks and I feel like I am a wet noodle!
    Thanks for your reply. I was also wondering about my hormones because my periods were always fairly regular and now....not even close. Sometimes I skip months. Sometimes I'll get my period 2 weeks after one ends. They're all over the place. The problem I'm having with heat and sweating is not like normal hot flashes that come out of nowhere. It's always triggered by either being outside in the scorching FL heat or by taking a shower. I forgot to mention also that I DO suffer from hypertension and take BP medicine to control it. I also take an SSRI to help control my anxiety. But I've been in those for years without any issues.

Last edited by TrancyTara; 07-16-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: left out a word

Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Perhaps take a bath in the evening? A bath doesn't heat up the bathroom as much as a shower and you wouldn't have to worry about the problem in the morning?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
    Sickofmenopause
    (female)

Sickofmenopause HB User

I'm 55 and have been experiencing hot flashes for about 12 years now. They started out randomly...a few over several months and then I would have several months with none. For the last few years they are daily, many times during the day and through the night. One thing that I've noticed is that any form of heat... The sun shining on me through a window, heat from the stove or hot dish water, shower, my husband's or the dogs body heat seems to induce a hot flash. I feel it building up from my inner core and then it's like a hot explosion. The only thing that helps me to get through that is to get up and walk around, or a big glass of I've water.
    I've heard black cohosh can help, so can natural progesterone cream, and estriol cream along with DIM. I'm ordering some next week and will let you know if it helps if you're interested. I've been taking natural hormone balance capsules with little help and then I found a jar of estriol that I forgot i had and have been applying that for 2 days now and I'm already noticing a difference and I'm down 2.5lbs and my appetite is feeling normal finally. Maybe this is coincidence.... Time will tell.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sickofmenopause:
    TrancyTara (07-30-2016)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Sickofmenopause For This Useful Post:
    TrancyTara (07-30-2016)
    Old 07-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
    TrancyTara
    (female)

TrancyTara HB User

Thank you for your response. Yes please, do let me know how it works for Find . I pray you find some relief as well.

Last edited by TrancyTara; 07-29-2016 at 05:40 PM. Reason: left out a word

Closed Thread

Tags
    hormones, overheat, shower, sweating