It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Odd brown period? Perimenopausal at 46?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
    ArizonaChic
    (female)

ArizonaChic HB User
    Question Odd brown period? Perimenopausal at 46?

I am 46 years old.

My periods were always pretty regular, but over the time frame of the last 3 years, I skipped a period, had a little bit of blood spotting 7 days after my period had stopped, had a period come 10 days late, every so often have a period early by a week, and a couple of "brown" periods.

This past week however, has been odd.

Last weekend, I wiped and noticed a light brown discharge. Normal for me, it's a sign my period is on its way.
    It was coming a week early, but no worries. By Monday, it was more brown discharge, by Tuesday, a little more, and by Wednesday, there was only blood when I wiped. It was like my period was super slow.
    By Friday/Saturday, it was down to nothing and I thought that was it for my "period".

Here I am Monday night and I feel a little bit like my period is coming, backache, etc. I was just in the bathroom and "checked" and I have a little bit of light colored discharge.

Any other time that would be the sign my period was coming, no big deal, but because of this weird brown period just last week, I'm freaking that I could have another period?
    I don't know if it's just leftover from the previous week of a mostly brown period or is there another period on it's way.
    My period was scheduled to start this week but obviously something was happening last week.

I am going to make an appt with the dr next week but hoping to hear of anyone else's experiences?
    It's been over 3 years since my last pap and they've always been normal.

*I am not on any birth control.*

Last edited by ArizonaChic; 11-21-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Odd brown period? Perimenopausal at 46?

Brown blood is simply old blood that wasn't expelled in a previous period so it's not an indication of something being wrong with you. It does sound like you are in peri and nearing menopause. Birth control can regulate that or you can just keep on like you are until you stop or have more debilitating symptoms.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
    LeeAnneK
    (female)

LeeAnneK HB User

Sounds like what my mom went through before menopause. From what she told me, doctor didn't really recommend anything , just let nature run its course. I hope things go well for you. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
    ArizonaChic
    (female)

ArizonaChic HB User

My period is coming back it seems. I just went to the bathroom and there is blood on the toilet paper.
    *This is the week I was originally supposed to start my period so not sure what last week events were.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
    ArizonaChic
    (female)

ArizonaChic HB User

UPDATE:

I started having a small period flow on Saturday, it got a little more on Sunday, and on Monday, seemed to be a regular flow. Tuesday was a medium flow with some clots.
    Today is Wednesday and I'm still having some blood when I wipe.
    Not sure when/if this is all going to stop.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It can go on for several years till you finally quit having periods. If that isn't what you would prefer,birth control can help. Talk with your gyno about it.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
    ArizonaChic
    (female)

ArizonaChic HB User

I'll probably have to live with this. Birth control used to make me really sick.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:40 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

they have a lot of different ones on the market now. Try a low dose one. You can stop it any time if it bothers you.

Closed Thread

Tags
    perimenopause, symptoms