It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• New Scrupulosity/OCD in Menopause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
    Viacasilina
    (female)

Viacasilina HB User
    New Scrupulosity/OCD in Menopause?

For the past several years, I've been in perimenopause, and am probably in solid menopause now. My job is really stressful, heartbreaking sometimes, and at the same time, I've been taking responsibilities to care for my aging parents. My symptoms have included anxiety, vertigo, air hunger, and a lot of fears--fears of driving on the highway, fears of choking, fears of not being able to breath. Thank God, a lot of those symptoms have faded. But a couple of years ago, a new, strange something came to me: scrupulosity/OCD. What I mean is that I, a middle aged woman, suddenly began to a) think about my past mistakes/sins and worry about any harm I've done to others and in fact to feel a dread about past mistakes; and b) I'd begun to worry terribly that in my present work and contacts, I may have slighted someone, not done a perfect job, broken some rule, etc. It's all very weird because I've been pretty relaxed for much of my life, and now my mind is often filled with intrusive thoughts. I also have HORRIFIC hot flashes and broken sleep. Can't remember the last time I slept through a night. I just sent off a saliva test for hormones, and am awaiting any answers from that. But in the meantime, I wondered: have any of you ever felt this sense of scrupulosity/OCD in menopause? It is really heavy, and while I've used some of it to right old wrongs, I feel like my mind is often worried about this or that ... thanks, all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: New Scrupulosity/OCD in Menopause?

Simply meno anxiety. Have you considered HRT? It really helps some people - did me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Viacasilina (09-02-2017)
    Old 08-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
    weathergirls
    Inactive
    (female)

weathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB User

I haven't specifically heard of OCD flaring in meno, unless one was already dealing with it. I'm sure the lack of sleep, coupled with the stress at your job, caring for your aging parents, and handling hot flashes would be enough to try the most sound and rock solid of minds!! Anxiety for some people does crop up in meno but not for all. I've suffered my whole adult life with an anxiety disorder, and it did not worsen in meno. Same with my sister.

It couldn't hurt to also consider speaking to a therapist considering the gamut of responsibilities and concerns you have. Your sense of acute responsibility for your actions - not wanting to have hurt someone, upset them, etc is a feature of OCD for some sufferers. I think therapy can be of great use, wheather or not you decide to use hormone replacement.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to weathergirls For This Useful Post:
    Viacasilina (09-02-2017)
    Old 08-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #4
    Viacasilina
    (female)

Viacasilina HB User

Thank you. When I was nearly 30, I had a panic attack that really shook me, and by God's grace, panic/anxiety didn't bother me again ... until now. A lot of my stress is gone now, but it seems that once the intrusive thoughts began, they sort of came to stay. I rely on my faith a lot, and I've also read that fluctuating hormones can cause a lot of crazy things.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
    perfectbrillian
    (female)

perfectbrillian HB User

Quote:
    a) think about my past mistakes/sins and worry about any harm I've done to others and in fact to feel a dread about past mistakes; and b) I'd begun to worry terribly that in my present work and contacts, I may have slighted someone, not done a perfect job, broken some rule, etc
    Yes to A and B! This exact experience is happening to me, the exact same thoughts. I have had some anxiety in the past but this is completely new. I started having "OCD like" symptoms and found it very strange as well to have developed it so late in life. I am in therapy, and it helps a lot. I do a lot of 'self-help' techniques to help me fight the intrusive thoughts and replace them with something kinder and more trusting. I find that I have to take my own thoughts with a 'grain of salt' and just trust that things are going to be OK.

The symptoms, particularly the mental ones, of perimenopause really freaked me out at first but over time it has become a 'new normal'. I find it's OK to have these things going on if I at least feel like I have a strategy for dealing with it and am not totally at their mercy.

The following user gives a hug of support to perfectbrillian:
    Viacasilina (09-02-2017)
    The Following User Says Thank You to perfectbrillian For This Useful Post:
    Viacasilina (09-02-2017)
    Old 09-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
    Viacasilina
    (female)

Viacasilina HB User

Thank you, PerfectBrillian! Someone else who understands ... every day seems a battle and if I get to bed and don't have any sense of, "Oh, I've blown it again!" or of invasive thoughts then it's a good day. I sensed that the hormones may be the amplifiers of my own low-grade anxieties, and it really helps to hear that I'm not alone. Thank you!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
    Viacasilina
    (female)

Viacasilina HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by perfectbrillian View Post
    Y...I do a lot of 'self-help' techniques to help me fight the intrusive thoughts and replace them with something kinder and more trusting. ...
    Can I ask you what the self-help techniques are that help you fight intrusive thoughts? Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, menopause, ocd, scrupulosity