It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Insomnia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
    bakinghotnan
    (female)

bakinghotnan HB User
    Insomnia

Hi all I'm new here and I have been suffering due to the menopause since chemically induced due to chemo in 2004.
    Recently my insomnia/ joint pain have become a massive issue. I am not sleeping until 4-5am hot flushes throughout the day leave me drained.
    My gp will not prescribe HRT due to my history of breast cancer.Only to give me Zopliclone for 14days!
    I am becoming desperate and the lack of sleep is affecting my relationships, as I am constantly tired and snappy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2017, 05:03 AM   #2
    weathergirls
    Inactive
    (female)

weathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB User
    Re: Insomnia

If hormones are completely contraindicated for you, can you take a low-dose of something like Ambien? I know itís probably not what you would prefer to do, but having severe insomnia and not getting sleep is just not healthy for the body.

Of course you know that, and I am so sorry that you are struggling with it. I believe there is some controversy around the issue of breast cancer survivors and HRT. In some instances, I think depending on the patient, their particular medical history, and their specific type of breast cancer, they can use some forms of HRT. But I donít know enough about it - have only read it in my own research on HRT. You may want to look around and do some research on that.

I have found for myself that using a meditation app on my phone at night has helped a lot! I didnít think that it would, but it did. Also, things like Valerian root, and maybe even melatonin? I wish I could offer you more options. At some point I think itís important just to get the sleep, even if you have to take something that you would prefer not to. Let us know how youíre doing!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #3
    weathergirls
    Inactive
    (female)

weathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB Userweathergirls HB User

One possibility that might someone mitigate the hot flashes would be black cohosh, or adding flaxseed (ground up) to foods. I know people who have used both and had considerable relief from them.

Particularly the black cohosh. I donít know if you would need to get that cleared by your doctor? But the black cohosh is readily available over-the-counter. Itís in products like Remifem, Estroven, etc. My sister-in-law swears by the black cohosh and says it had totally helped her hot flashes, which were bothering her a lot at night.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
    sw403
    (female)

sw403 HB User

I am so sorry you have insomnia, I know how terrible that is. I have tried many things, including prescription meds, herbs, anything crazy recommended by anyone, etc. The only thing that has helped me other than HRT is L-Tryptophan. I don't have any problem falling asleep, but i take it when i get up in the middle of the night and i can fall right back asleep. I like it better than Melatonin. I would suggest trying it! It can't hurt you, and it also helps with mood as it is the precursor to serotonin.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User

My GP put me on low-dose antidepressants for my chronic severe insomnia. It's been a godsend. Each one only lasts for about 6 months before it stops working, but he has me on a drug rotation so I sleep most of the time. The ones that worked best for me are mirtazapine (Remeron) and quetiapine (Seroquel) and Trazodone. I sleep 7- 8 hours a night on these, when before I slept from 2 to 4 hours nightly, and not in one stretch, either.

Closed Thread