It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Vaginal dryness/burning question.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
Zihna
(female)

Zihna HB User
Vaginal dryness/burning question.

Hello ladies,

I am 42, 3 month ago I started experiencing vaginal burning after sex. I went and got checked. No STD, no UTI, no Yeast. Was treated for BV. Burning went away, but I also came on my period (7 days early -- it's usually on time).

Since then the burning would come and go. Got tested again for STD's and yeast and BV. Negative! After about 1.5 month the burning would spread to my face, shoulders, upper back, chest area and sometimes even my thighs. The area feels slightly warm to me when I touch it. Sometimes my ears and eyes are burning as well.

My last appointment with my PCM on Tuesday, she mentioned that it may be menopausal. To her everything looked good "down there". And we started some Estrogen Vag cream.

Just wondering if anyone experienced similar.
Here are some of the things I noticed over the past 3 month:

- Symptoms usually go away completely when I have my period, now that I stopped using tampons and use pads instead. If I use tampons, the burning starts again, even with my period.

- There is a slight redness on my outer lips and usually right in between the inner and outer lips.

- The few times I did have sex since then --- OMG --- not so bad during, but afterwards she would light up red all over inside and burn like crazy. Then I just want to cry, because I don't know whats going on.

- I did notice the last time I had sex, that she was definitely not as moist as she should be. This has happened in the past, but it was not really a problem or painful. We just kept some lubricant near by. And it was not every time. Just occasionally.

- When I take a bath the burning seems to go away down there for a bit.

When I google the vaginal dryness due to menopause. It usually just talks about pain during sex. But in my case, it kind of burns at different intensity levels most of the time. The longest it had stopped was almost 2 weeks with only 2 short flare ups that only lasted a few hours. I also had my period during that time.

Vagisil has been my best friend. I don't even want to have sex anymore now, cause it hurts so bad after.

Does any of this sounds like it could be menopausal related? I did read flushing of the face is a symptom. I didn't know that before. I don't have any night sweats or anything like that. Although about 3-4 years ago I would get hot flashes almost daily for a few month and then they stopped coming.

Sometimes I do ask my daughter if "it's warm in here" and she be like --- "No it's actually kind of cool". I don't sweat though, I guess I just feel warmer than everyone else in the house.

I am so confused.

PS: My PCM is also sending me to a Rheumatologist for possible autoimmune disease, but I would rather this be menopausal related than anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Vaginal dryness/burning question.

I would see a gyno. Definitely sounds like period menopause could .net e the culprit. Vaginal atrophy is common due to lessening estrogen. Your FSH level is an indicator. A score of 34 is usually a sign of full menopause. For period, many take birth control and then switch to HRT at the appropriate time. Some use more natural treatments. A talk with your gyno should give you direction.

Last edited by Titchou; 01-13-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Zihna
(female)

Zihna HB User

Thank you for your answer. My PCM kind of wants to wait until I seen a Rheumatologist until we move forward with anything else. But I will definitely ask for a referral to a Gyno if we end up ruling out autoimmune disease as well.

She had done a full blood work when I went to see her in December. My FANA came back as low positive which could indicate autoimmune disease, but I also have psoriasis and that can also show a positive on a FANA test.

It's just so frustrating cause they are supposed to call me for an appointment, but with the holidays and then the winter storm on the east coast everything seems delayed.

Sorry, I am new to all this ---- She did start me on the Premarin Vag cream (lowest dose - twice a week), I believe that would be HRT? I used it on Tuesday and yesterday. Do you (or anyone else who reads this) know how long it takes for it to start making a difference? When I looked online I found something that said the vag cream can take 3 weeks to show any improvement.

I am actually looking forward to my period, cause it has stopped burning the past 2 periods and I need a break from the pain.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
birdlynn
(female)

birdlynn HB User

You might want to check out "Lichen". My gynecologist thinks I might have that because there is redness, sensitivity and dryness. I am hoping it is just menopausal too. There is a small test which means they would biopsy a small piece of tissue down there to see for sure. The treatment would be using a cortizone or stronger cream. Ask your doctor about it.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Zihna
(female)

Zihna HB User

Thanks Birdlynn -- I read about that during my internet searches. I remember the symptoms didn't quite match up. But I will definitely add it to my list of possibilities. Never hurts to ask the Dr. I will read over it again, it's been a few days since I came across it.

Closed Thread