It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Endometrial biopsy for irregular bleeding?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User
    Endometrial biopsy for irregular bleeding?

Has anyone who is in perimenopause been told they should have a uterine biopsy to make sure the irregular bleeding isnít cancer?

I thought at my age (50) and since I havenít gone through menopause yet, irregular periods are normal and par for the course?

Now this doctor has made me nervous!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Endometrial biopsy for irregular bleeding?

Depends on how irregular you are...what are you expereiencing?

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
    Vanilla2862 (04-26-2018)
    Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

Skipping some months- then when I finally got it after 2 months, I spotted for a week before it started and then continued for another week.

Once or twice I got it after only 2 weeks but that was a while back. I just feel like everyone I talk to whose in peri has same issues. I donít know why he is making me feel like itís not normal?

Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

May just be his usual treatment to be sure.Why don't you ask him? Assume this is a gyno.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:24 AM   #5
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    May just be his usual treatment to be sure.Why don't you ask him? Assume this is a gyno.
    I did ask and he said that he wouldnít want me to find out down the road that I had cervical cancer and ask why he didnít find it. Heís actually a gyn/oncologist who I went to for a consultation for genetic testing since my mom has ovarian cancer as then this came up in the conversation.

My regular gyn never categorized my weird cycles as Ďirregularí just told me part of perimenopause.

Now Iím not sure who I should listen to.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Considering there is a history, I can see where it might be good to check. You know more about your family situation and options. I think you're fine whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Irregular cycles like yours are pretty typical during perimenopause. Of course, an endometrial biopsy checks for endometrial / uterine cancer not cervical.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    Irregular cycles like yours are pretty typical during perimenopause. Of course, an endometrial biopsy checks for endometrial / uterine cancer not cervical.
    How do they check for cervical cancer?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

PAP smears are done to screen for cervical cancer. My previous post was just to clarify since you mentioned that when you asked your doctor why he wanted to do an endometrial biopsy he said that he wouldnít want you to find out down the road that you had cervical cancer and ask why he didnít find it.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by STLouisgal View Post
    PAP smears are done to screen for cervical cancer. My previous post was just to clarify since you mentioned that when you asked your doctor why he wanted to do an endometrial biopsy he said that he wouldnít want you to find out down the road that you had cervical cancer and ask why he didnít find it.
    Oh, got it! Sorry about that! You think I would get all my girlie parts straight by now 😂.

Thanks so much for the info😊

Old 04-29-2018, 07:20 AM   #11
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No problem. Glad I could help!

Old 05-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
    Scruffy60
    (female)

Scruffy60 HB User

I went through the exact same thing last year Iím 57, and my gynecologist just knew for sure my bleeding was irregular, so she ordered biopsies and a Pap smear everything came back normal, and she told me the biopsy showed there was still estrogen, so she said that means you are still in peri menopause

Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #13
    Ladykate211
    (female)

Ladykate211 HB UserLadykate211 HB User

I'm glad you're ok...and it appears that other ladies here who have been in similar positions turned out ok. great to know that because my gyne ordered same tests for me for next week....I just saw her Tuesday.(day after we buried my mom..) so I'm kinda emotionally all over the place...and scared.
    Praying I have good results too. I turned 59 in Feb. My older sisters had periods til 56, 57. Younger one still is too at 56. Doc said she's not worried but wanted to get a workup done. Also said I have a huge fibroid.
    Trying to think positive.
    You ladies and your advice really help.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:04 AM   #14
    Vanilla2862
    (female)

Vanilla2862 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ladykate211 View Post
    I'm glad you're ok...and it appears that other ladies here who have been in similar positions turned out ok. great to know that because my gyne ordered same tests for me for next week....I just saw her Tuesday.(day after we buried my mom..) so I'm kinda emotionally all over the place...and scared.
    Praying I have good results too. I turned 59 in Feb. My older sisters had periods til 56, 57. Younger one still is too at 56. Doc said she's not worried but wanted to get a workup done. Also said I have a huge fibroid.
    Trying to think positive.
    You ladies and your advice really help.
    Iím so sorry about your mom. Please try not to worry too much. I have found many women whoíve had this test done and found nothing wrong.
    I also have fibroids which cause me problems and that is another common thing.
    One piece of advice Iíve gotten is to take 800 mg Advil before the biopsy so you donít feel anything. Apparently some people have considerable discomfort during the test. Iím glad they mentioned it because I wouldíve been freaked out if it started hurting during.
    Good luck and again, my condolences on the loss of your mom.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #15
    Ladykate211
    (female)

Ladykate211 HB UserLadykate211 HB User

Thanks so much, Vanilla2862...I appreciate both the condolences and the Advil advice....and knowing others have been through the same test and came out good helps relax me.

Closed Thread