It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Question

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
Question

I'm having a pelvic ultrasound done next week because i am still having periods at 58 almost 59...The Doctor wants to do a transvaginal ultrasound also..And i was wondering if it is really necessary to have both...And if I only wanted one done which one would show the most... Thanks!! My insurance has a high deductible....so i really don't want to do any unnecessary testing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question

I still had periods at 57 -my mother at 60. If your family history has later periods and yours have been consistent, I'm not sure why they want to do this.It's just simply normal for you,

Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Well my periods are very sporadic...Since age 55 my periods come every 6 or 7 months...Just when i think i'm going to make it to 12 months another period comes...Gets discouraging...I was also wondering if my TSH is alittle to low...I'm on medication and i just got it tested and it was 0.40...maybe that has something to do with getting periods..I know thyroid issues can mess with your periods... My sister and mom both stopped having periods around 54...but my other sister is 55 and still having periods.... Thanks for being helpful...

Old 07-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #4
Ladykate211
(female)

Ladykate211 HB UserLadykate211 HB User

Hi...I'm 59 this past February and still having periods. This year along with my pap, my gyne had me do both ultrasounds , she said just to be sure and to have it in my file. 2 days ago she completed my testing with a hysteroscopy. She said she saw nothing sinister. But I've had fibroids for at least 10 years, and she said although they are shrinking , my bloodwork shows I'm still peri. So right now I'm waiting it out. We will revisit and try something else if still having flows by year's end.
Trying not to have a hysterectomy.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 AM   #5
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Each type of ultrasound will show something completely different. The outside one will show abnormalities, possibly growths on the pelvic area- but nothing concrete. The internal US will show your detailed organs along with any tumors or growths or cysts/ fibroids. You really need to have them both done. Sorry!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Thanks for your replies...it helped me to make up my mind of having both done...my bloodwork showed that i was in menopause..

Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
STLouisgal
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

If you're still having periods, doing blood work for hormone levels isn't very useful. Your FSH can vary widely, sometimes showing you're menopausal and other times showing you're still in premenopausal / reproductive stage.

Is the transvaginal ultrasound being done to check the thickness of your uterine lining? If so, it's best to have it done 1 or 2 days after your period when the lining is thinnest.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I think both test are being done just to check for anything and everything that could be making me still have periods...My last period was in may and i may not get another one for 6 to 7 months and (hopefully never)....I am having hot flashes with anxiety..after this last period the hot flashes got really bad..when i wake up in the morning i always gets a terrible hot flash with for some reason anxiety, where you don't know why you are anxious but just feel like you could jump out of your skin...then things seem to calm down and i might get 5 or 6 more through out the day...none while i am sleeping thankfully... I'm starting to feel wore out with this whole menopause thing!!!

Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Ladykate211
(female)

Younggranny I totally empathize with your feelings upon waking. I get that, too..where you wake up almost scared (for want of a better word). It's crazy and I try to shake it off but the damage is done.. Then it takes me a while to try to stop thinking about what might be wrong...which makes me even more anxious. Vicious cycle.
It appears to happen to a lot of women, based on some I've spoken to. But it also dissipates the closer we get to actual menopause.
Hoping that's true for all.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #10
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you considered birth control or maybe even skipping that and going to HRT? When I started skipping bleeds on bcp at 57, we went to HRT and haven't had anoother period.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
jw90 (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

We didn't talk to much about HRT because my doctor said you probably don't want to try HRT because you have already been on the pill 20 years...I went on the pill when i was 30 because of hormone issues and stayed on until 50..The pill seemed to clear up my problem because once i got off the pill i had a period every month until 55 or 56 and then this craziness started...I did think maybe i'm going into menopause late because i have so much estrogen in my body from being on the pill so long...On thursday i will find out if something is wrong...
When you have a pelvic ultrasound how in the world do they expect a person to drink 32 ounces of water and have it all drank 1 hr before the test...now that is just crazy...I was glad to hear when the person called to get me registered for the test she said you could drink 24ozs of water instead of 32...still not looking forward to it but now it sounds more manageable..

Old 07-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Why your doctor would say that about going on HRT is really odd. It's your decision to make - not his. I was on bcp from early 20s off and on (mostly on!) until I went on HRT at 57. I'm 72 and still on it. My sister went on HRT in her 30s due to a hysterectomy and is still on it at 71. Not a single problem for either of us. No suspicious bleeds, clear mammos every year, no female cancers in our family out to great aunts. Not to mention no hot flashes, etc!!!!

Old 08-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I had both of my test done on thursday....Both of them went very well...Drank 2 1/2 cups of water for the pelvic ultra sound and soon as i got there they took me right in and did the procedure...then went to the restroom and 5 minutes later i was having the transvaginal ultrasound...All in all i was done in 25 to 30 minutes...Now i am waiting for the results...

Old 08-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #14
Ladykate211
(female)

Congrats for holding onto your water!
I'm sure your results will be good. Keep us posted.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #15
younggranny
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Well I got my results back...I have an endometrial polyp...I have to have a D&C and a hysteroscopy...The nurse did say that polyps are usually beneign...In a few days they are getting it scheduled...

Reply Reply