It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Can someone tell me again the difference between ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    Can someone tell me again the difference between ...

I know someone has told me before, but I can not find the post. June of 2017 was 12 months of having no periods. So 2 1/2 years now, I have not had a period...is this now considered post menopause or am I still in menopause? I know what peri-menopause is (although at the time I didn't know what it was) but not sure when menopause goes into post menopause. Does fibrocystic breasts ever go away? I had the stereotactic biopsy (benign) back in 2014 and a week later, had another one and that breast has given me problems ever since. The new Radiologist that did the 2nd one (because the other place compketely messed it up) said that the Dr that did the first one placed the clip very close to the skin and I was also told that I had scar tissue in that breast. Can scar tissue make that breast seem "thicker"? I know no two breast are the same but I have had mammograms and ultra sounds regularly. I just wonder if I will feel my old self again...have energy, no pains, etc...
    Am I alone in this? I am not taking any HRT nor do I want to. Just trying to educate myself on things. Thanks to all who can give me some clarity on this. :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Can someone tell me again the difference between...

First of all, you need to understand that some people use terms that really aren't real. So, menopause is when you have gone 12 months without a period. Your menses has paused. So therefore post menopause would be the period AFTER your menses has paused. But most people just say you are in menopause- end of story.

Next, some fibroids go away and some don't. Do you use caffeine? If so, it would be wise to stop as it can make them more painful. There is no way to know when,nor if, they will go away. You could always have them removed if they bother you that much.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Can someone tell me again the difference between ...

I would agree that the terminology is what makes it confusing. PeriMenopause is when you are before menopause, it can mean skipped periods, irregular periods, but your FSH is starting to go up..
    One you have gone a full year without a period, menopause kicks in...therefore there really is no 'post"menopause because either you are in menopause or you aren't...you definitely are.

As for the question you asked...yes, scar tissue can make the breasts different on a film. I also have scar tissue from a biopsy which was done many years ago and that same scar tissue has given me a scare more than once on films (until I discover what it is they are seeing). Its so important to find a radiologist you like and stick with him or her for as long as you are able since they often remember (and make notes) about what they are looking at on your films.

As for the lack of energy, pains, etc you mentioned...are you sure this is not autoimmune? I know you have talked about other issues in the past with us..how sure are you that this is related to hormones?

Old 12-27-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    I would agree that the terminology is what makes it confusing. PeriMenopause is when you are before menopause, it can mean skipped periods, irregular periods, but your FSH is starting to go up..
    One you have gone a full year without a period, menopause kicks in...therefore there really is no 'post"menopause because either you are in menopause or you aren't...you definitely are.

As for the question you asked...yes, scar tissue can make the breasts different on a film. I also have scar tissue from a biopsy which was done many years ago and that same scar tissue has given me a scare more than once on films (until I discover what it is they are seeing). Its so important to find a radiologist you like and stick with him or her for as long as you are able since they often remember (and make notes) about what they are looking at on your films.

As for the lack of energy, pains, etc you mentioned...are you sure this is not autoimmune? I know you have talked about other issues in the past with us..how sure are you that this is related to hormones?
    With your scar tissue, have you developed more scar tissue? I have heard it can grow over time. I use now the same radiologist that did the 2nd biopsy. He is great but you're right...going to different ones, they have no idea what they are looking at so the series of testing starts all over...or can. Can the clip that's close to the skin surface cause discomfort? I don't have the pain all the time but the tenderness is more consistent. The only caffeine that I intake is chocolate. I eat a little bit every day but I don't drink anything but water anymore. As far as autoimmune? Never had that but I did just get my hormones tested that I will get the results in January. Is it common to develop autoimmune with menopause? I know I don't drink enough water on a daily basis...my posture has been bad for a long time...(I have the rounded shoulder thing), I'm not happy where we live, Got some stress with family so I don't know. I had an MRI 12 years ago and had degenerative, and bulging discs etc...so I just don't know and don't know where to start. I have heard women who have "Menopausal pains and tendonitis" so again, just not sure.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You cannot grow scar tissue, it comes from either having surgery or damage to the skin.

Yes a clip can cause pain...clips can move around and become uncomfortable. Sometimes they need to be repositioned.

Autoimmune diseases can happen at any time in your lifetime, the most common time for them to appear in is the 20s...but I was in my 30s when I was diagnosed with MS. No, they are not specific to or often found during menopause....but again, it can take YEARS to discover you have an autoimmune disease, many people will live with them for years and not know they have it until their symptoms become bad enough that the correct tests are ordered.

You need to see a Neuro or Rheumatologist if you suspect an autoimmune disease as they can do the correct testing.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

If you do a search and ask google if scar tissue can grow, it says that any scar tissue left untreated (whatever that means) can grow so I wonder if I have more scar tissue...

Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Scar tissue cannot grow. Hypertrophic scars can develop or Ketoids can form...this is an extension of the original scar; however, scar tissue does not grow.

If you had ketoids, it would have shown up on the scan. Your clip may have moved- or you may have have developed adhesions, which is when the scar tissue wraps around nerves...but it doesnt just grow.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Scar tissue cannot grow. Hypertrophic scars can develop or Ketoids can form...this is an extension of the original scar; however, scar tissue does not grow.

If you had ketoids, it would have shown up on the scan. Your clip may have moved- or you may have have developed adhesions, which is when the scar tissue wraps around nerves...but it doesnt just grow.
    What exactly is hypertrophy scar tissue? What causes that? If adhesions wrap around a nerve, can that cause pain? When I walk down stairs really fast, I can feel the pain sometimes in that breast. Almost like I need to keep my arm underneath for support so it doesn't hurt. I'm assuming activities like jogging or running pull on the scar tissue thus causing the pain? Does it usually take a lot of scar tissue to cause pain? I'm not sure why the first place put the clip so close to the skin surface. Just wondering if that breast will ever be normal again.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

A hypertrophic scar is a wide, raised scar which forms where the surgery was done..usually from trauma to the skin.

Adhesions form when the body is healing , they are inside and yes, they can wrap around a nerve and hurt! The problem with adhesions is that although they can be surgically cut to stop the squeezing of the nerve, they often come back and most doctors will not remove them. As time goes on, they often stretch and stop hurting.

As for why your clip is placed where it is, you would have to ask the surgeon who put it there. There may be a reason.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

I did get my hormones tested and everything was fine. As far as why the clup was placed close to the skin? My guess is vecause they didn't care about what they were doing as they did not even get the area they were suppose to which is why I had to do it again with a different Dr and then had another clip put in only he said it was down deep and not close to the skin surface. I had a new GYN Dr tell me that she too had one breast thicker and larger than the other so I guess no two breasts are the same size. I wonder how common it is to still have aches and pains almost 3 years after your last period? I am ready to feel like my old self again.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 AM   #11
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Some women have meno symptoms for the rest of their lives; some have none. There is no definitive answer but, according to my gyno, 3-6 years is normal.

Reply Reply