It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• What to do?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
    jmsmom
    (female)

jmsmom HB User
    What to do?

I am almost 53 and perimenopausal, I took estradiol in 2016 with a Mirena implant supplying my progestrone needs until Dec of 2017 at which time my Mirena dislodged, so I opted to take a break from HRT. When my periods resumed the end of Dec they were hit and miss but as 2018 went on the night sweats, vaginal dryness, hot flashes began to come back in full force. So in June 2018 I went on 1 mg estradiol and 2.5 mgs of medroxyprogesterone everyday, by the end of June, I began to have intermittant spotting, so in Dec 2108 at my annual my doctor did an endometrial biopsy to rule out anything being wrong, then raised my estradiol to 1.5 mgs and my progesterone to 5 mgs everyday, I have been spotting everyday since. I asked her about birth control but she says the estrogen in the bc is to high for me, I also asked about taking estogen everyday and progestrone just 2 weeks a month but she doesn't want to do that. I am about at my wits end, I would rather have a period that I know is coming then this continous spotting. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: What to do?

There are low dose birth control pills as well as traditional or bio-identical HRT or you could go back to Mirena. I'd certainly discuss all options....I stayed on a regular dose birth control -orthonovum-until I was 57 and went on traditional HRT - activella. All was fine and still is 16 years later

Old 01-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: What to do?

Hormones can require a bit of trial and error. For some reason, some women tend to spot with continuous E and P and it seems to be more of a problem when they are separate meds versus a combined E/P med. I do know of women who switched to cyclic P to make bleeds more predictable. I'm not sure why your doctor would be opposed to that. I hope you can find something that works well for you.

Reply Reply