It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• What causes benign fluid in the pelvic area?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
    What causes benign fluid in the pelvic area?

My Gastro Dr ordered an ultrasound because he thought I had tenderness in my pelvic area when he was checking my abdomen in a routine check for a Colonoscopy which I jad told him, it wasn't tender but that I had a full bladder and probably should have used the restroom before going in, but I just thought it was a meet and greet before a Colonoscopy with a new Dr. Anyway, he said there was a little bit of fluid in the pelvic area but everything was benign and that we could go ahead and schedule a Colonoscopy but my question is, what causes the fluid? I do have constipation but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: What causes benign fluid in the pelvic area?

I suggest you call the dr's office and ask that a copy of the ultrasound results be sent to you. The reading of the scan will tell you at least how much and maybe suspicions as to the cause......of which there are many.

Why are you having a c-scope? For the constipation and discomfort?

q

Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

Having the Colonoscopy because I was suppose to have one every 5 years and I'm a year behind. As far as my report, like I mentioned it said that the right and left ovary was unremarkable and the Uterus was unremarkable and that there was a small amount of fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac. Is this common being post menopause? Someone mentioned that it could have been a cyst that had bursted, but would that be extremely painful? Is this something dangerous? I can't get into the Dr for a week and don't know if this should wait that long.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

From what I read, there are various reasons for fluid in that area which the rectum and uterus. Most of which seem to imply gynecological reasons....and if you can see a gyne soon, that would probably be your best bet for answers and further testing.

Do you have bowel disease...UC or CD?

q

Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
    smokeymtnrain
    Veteran
    (female)

I have constipation from mostly not drinking enough water but have had IBS for years. I am seeing the GYN actually it's a couple of weeks before I get in. What did you read for possible causes?

Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I read up on fluid in posterior cul-de-sac and menopause...lots of info that I haven't looked up each possibility, but it could be appropriate reading for a list of questions to ask your gyne.

One did suggest higher estrogen...are you on hormone?

It also stated if there is inflammation in surrounding area, the fluid from that area can cause it to settle in cds. Thats why I asked if you had UC....it starts at the rectum, so I was wondering if you were flaring.
    Since you do have IBS, it doesn't cause inflammation.

Abscess is one, but it wasnt mentioned on your report.

Since you are in menopause, the obvious of fertilisation treatments or relating to pregnancy would not relate.

It's good you have an appointment soon and nearer to answers. Hang tough till then.

q

Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #7
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I am totally confused here. Was the US of the pelvic area or the stomach?

Why would a GI doctor be looking at your ovaries?

An US is not a pre-requisite to a colonoscopy.

Pelvic fluid can also be from a ruptured cyst- but that would be on your ovaries or uterus.

Reply Reply