It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Not this again

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User
    Not this again

I can't believe i am dealing with this again...I'm 60 years old and last September i had a D&C and they found 3 polyps and 1 fibroid...One polyp was pretty big....I went in because i was still having periods at 59 years old. (which ended up not really being periods but the result of polyps....)So for 10 months i was symptom free but last saturday started bleeding which acted just like a period...So now I have an appt with gyn but my question is ...once polyps grow back will they just continue to grow back...Any other solutions beside a D&C... My family doctor said something about an ablation.... or do you have to end up having a hysterectomy...and each time they grow back is there a chance they will be cancerous...Any women with experience of having polyps regrowth would be helpful!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
    Re: Not this again

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. How frustrating! Although I have not had personal experience with polyps, I do know that women can be predisposed to getting them. The method used to remove them can increase the likelihood that they recur. For one, they have to be removed at the base. And it seems I had read too that there are certain techniques or procedures that can impact their chances of recurring.

In my opinion, hysterectomy would be overkill. It has a whole set of negative effects that are permanent. I had one that was unwarranted and it has caused so many problems and heartache.

I wish you the best in getting the information you need to determine the appropriate treatment. And I hope it gets rid of them for good!

Old 08-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Thank you StLouisgal for answering my post...I will definitely try to steer clear of a hysterectomy ...I'm just hoping there is a different option besides a D&C since it did not take care of the problem...

Old 08-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by younggranny View Post
    ...I'm just hoping there is a different option besides a D&C since it did not take care of the problem...
    From what I had read D&C is inferior to the alternative method.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

St Louis Gal...I had an ablation, it was called NovaSure- I had it for endometriosis about 10 years ago- in my 40s... I do know that it will take care of polyps- I also suffered with them off and on since my 20s.

The only downside of an ablation is you stop bleeding so therefore, I cannot tell when I entered into menopause! Imagine telling doctors the first day of my last period was 12 years ago ! I had to have blood work done every 6 months to measure my meno scale... I am officially in menopause as of a year ago.

Get the ablation. It is an easy procedure.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Okay so now I've had an endometrial biopsy, pelvic ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound..They called me and said everything came back good....my polyps that they took out 10 months ago did not grow back and my fibroid shrunk..So that is all good...the nurse was going to leave it at that and I said don't you think we should try to get to the bottom of this because it definitely is not normal for a 60 year old to be having a "period"...I was wondering does anyone know of some other test I should be asking for...I do have an appt for Sept 12 to see my doctor...I really am at my wits end with this crazy period stuff...

Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
    STLouisgal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Did you ever go a full 12 months without bleeding? If not, then you may be one of the small percentage of 60 YO women who are not yet menopausal.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:18 AM   #8
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A 60 year old still having random periods is certainly not abnormal...though it might a small percentage of the population. My last one was at 57 and my mother's at 60. We both started early as well. I was 10 and I think she was 12. As STL said, you just may be one of those women! HRT would stop them if you are so inclined.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I had went a year without a period but that could have been because last september my doctor had me have a D&C to remove the polyps...My last period was may 2018 then in september of 2018 I had a D&C ...then nothing until July 2019....I'm thinking it is my fibroid in the uterus that is bleeding..She never removed that when she took out my polyps..I guess you can not remove fibroids the same way you remove polyps. I'm wondering if the only way you get rid of fibroids is a hysterectomy.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

HRT could help with that but I would certainly ask your gyno about the fibroid.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

After talking with my doctor she thinks the best solution would be to have a hysterectomy because I grew another uterine fibroid since my last ultra sound a year ago... She said that it is strange that my uterine lining is actively growing fibroids...that in 5 to 10 years the activity could turn to cancer... I would like to get a second opinion but it is almost impossible because if you are a new patient you have to wait about 3 to 4 months before getting an appt... I think my doctor is setting up the surgery for November...I love my doctor but she is terrible busy delivering babies and hardly has time for menopausal women...I wish there was a doctor who just specialized in menopausal problems!!!

Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 AM   #12
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear younggranny,

In America, insurance should pay for a second opinion outside your medical group. In my own experience, I would get that opinion before submitting to a hysterectomy. It is really not a cancer scare that you have some bleeding, esp after those procedures.

Asking for a second opinion appointment is not at all the same as the process of establishing with a new doctor. Most doctors are accepting of that kind of appointment.

A doctor that knows how to remove the female organs but doesn't know enough about prescribing the hormones is not one I would keep on seeing for any reason. This, hon, is not a medical emergency.

There are all sorts of opinions and fears about cancer, etc. However, due to some symptoms I used to have I did submit to a hysterectomy after being told 'oh no worries you can take hormones'.

Well, doctors are not always knowledgeable about hormones or willing to prescribe them. Also hormones are expensive, often are not covered by insurance, and often what is prescribed is not naturally balanced female hormones, and hormones have their own side effects, and worse than all of that, many doctors know very little about female hormones or what kind are safe or will not even prescribe them.

The last doctor I would allow to make my decisions is one that is preoccupied with delivering babies. If the doctor does not know of anything better than yanking the female organs, run for the hills!

Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 AM   #13
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

It should be easy to find a gyno who has quit delivering babies. THat's who you need to see. And yes, get a second opinion from one. If you like him/her, then go on and make your annual appointment right then! Think of it this way - all obs are gynos but all gynos are not obs!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

Thank you for your replies...I am now going to slow down and get a second opinion and think this over some more...and I am going to try and find a doctor that is not so busy delivering babies...and I am going to call back to this one doctor and explain I don't want to be a new patient I just want a second opinion...You guys are really very helpful because none of my friends have went through this so I have no-one to really bounce things off of... Thanks again!!

Reply Reply