It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• peri-meno symptoms ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    peri-meno symptoms ?

For the past several months, there would be about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks each month where I would not feel good. There would be couple of weeks where I would feel "normal". I am going to be 51 soon and am sure I'm going through something. I don't know if some of the symptoms I am experiencing is a cold, PMS, peri-meno or I'm about to enter menopause or something.

I have mild hypothyroid, have allergies (sinus headaches, congestion), lower back pain that may come and go, have a tendency to get anxiety, and have been feeling a lot more tired than I should, don't feel like eating so I'm losing weight too. For the past 3 nights I just started waking up in the middle of the night, hot and sweaty. Last night, it was kind of scary for me because I woke up feeling hot and sweaty and on top of it, I could feel my body feeling jittiery (anxiety). Waking up just feeling anxious has been going on lately too. Last night, it took me a long time to calm down and relax.

I wake up most mornings feeling really draggy. After an hour or so, I get moving around more. I tend to spend time worrying about how bad I'm feeling too.

I have been to my GP couple of times these past months and he put me on anti-depressants (which I stop taking because I didn't like it at all). I asked if all this could be menopausal related and he said there's a possibility.

I am thinking of taking some of the natural OTC products often talked about; such as Dong Quai, Black Cohosh, Licorice Root, St. John's Wort. Does anyone know if these might help? I read that soy products like Estroven is dangerous for people with hypothyroid. I really do not want to go on HRT even tho my gyn seem to push it.

How can I help myself through this transition?
    Molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
    pd50

pd50 HB User
    Re: peri-meno symptoms ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    For the past several months, there would be about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks each month where I would not feel good. There would be couple of weeks where I would feel "normal". I am going to be 51 soon and am sure I'm going through something. I don't know if some of the symptoms I am experiencing is a cold, PMS, peri-meno or I'm about to enter menopause or something.

I have mild hypothyroid, have allergies (sinus headaches, congestion), lower back pain that may come and go, have a tendency to get anxiety, and have been feeling a lot more tired than I should, don't feel like eating so I'm losing weight too. For the past 3 nights I just started waking up in the middle of the night, hot and sweaty. Last night, it was kind of scary for me because I woke up feeling hot and sweaty and on top of it, I could feel my body feeling jittiery (anxiety). Waking up just feeling anxious has been going on lately too. Last night, it took me a long time to calm down and relax.

I wake up most mornings feeling really draggy. After an hour or so, I get moving around more. I tend to spend time worrying about how bad I'm feeling too.

I have been to my GP couple of times these past months and he put me on anti-depressants (which I stop taking because I didn't like it at all). I asked if all this could be menopausal related and he said there's a possibility.

I am thinking of taking some of the natural OTC products often talked about; such as Dong Quai, Black Cohosh, Licorice Root, St. John's Wort. Does anyone know if these might help? I read that soy products like Estroven is dangerous for people with hypothyroid. I really do not want to go on HRT even tho my gyn seem to push it.

How can I help myself through this transition?
    Molly
    I am 50 and feel somewhat like that.........I have allergies......sinus, migraines.......and lately all seem to be worse.......and I bet it is menopause making these conditions worse. I always was able to control these preexisting conditions with meds. the Docs prescribed.......not no more........my whole body seems to be in total chaos...........has to be hormonal fluctutiations.......I can't take hrt because of the form of migraine I get.........the one with the visual ziz zag lines in the eyes for 30 minutes........so I guess I am going to have to tough this out.........it is awful............I feel tired........yet my blood work came back good........can't figure out why I feel so horrible.....yet all my blood tests come back ok........arghhhhhh.......this is such a frustrating time in my life.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pd50
    I am 50 and feel somewhat like that.........I have allergies......sinus, migraines.......and lately all seem to be worse.......and I bet it is menopause making these conditions worse. I always was able to control these preexisting conditions with meds. the Docs prescribed.......not no more........my whole body seems to be in total chaos...........has to be hormonal fluctutiations.......I can't take hrt because of the form of migraine I get.........the one with the visual ziz zag lines in the eyes for 30 minutes........so I guess I am going to have to tough this out.........it is awful............I feel tired........yet my blood work came back good........can't figure out why I feel so horrible.....yet all my blood tests come back ok........arghhhhhh.......this is such a frustrating time in my life.

I have been feeling healthy and energetic most of my life until I turned 50 this year and then all hell broke loose! Every woman I talk to says it is peri-meno/menopause. I am just having a rough time with "the change". I guess I'm the kind of person who have to feel in control and if I don't feel right and can't figure how what is going on, I freak out and then anxiety hits and then I get even sicker. I have been feeling crappy for the past 2 weeks (there were weeks when I would be fine, but months prior I wasn't right either).

I can feel I am better each day and as of today, I actually feel fine (headaches are gone!). I can tell because my weak jelly legs are better and the appetite I lost is better. I am going to try to come to terms with these hormonal fluctuations and look into learning how to deal with the change better. I really don't want to have to go see a doctor tho. Maybe there are books or tapes or something. I am so tired of going to so many doctors - I have had several blood tests this year too and everything is fine (thank goodness!!). I agree, it is also a frustrating time of my life too .... we both have to believe that it is just TEMPORARY!! and we have to tell ourselves that we're not dying.

Hang in there! Now we know we're not alone!

Molly

Old 12-08-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
    pd50

pd50 HB User

Quote:
    I have been feeling healthy and energetic most of my life until I turned 50 this year and then all hell broke loose! Every woman I talk to says it is peri-meno/menopause. I am just having a rough time with "the change". I guess I'm the kind of person who have to feel in control and if I don't feel right and can't figure how what is going on, I freak out and then anxiety hits and then I get even sicker. I have been feeling crappy for the past 2 weeks (there were weeks when I would be fine, but months prior I wasn't right either).

I can feel I am better each day and as of today, I actually feel fine (headaches are gone!). I can tell because my weak jelly legs are better and the appetite I lost is better. I am going to try to come to terms with these hormonal fluctuations and look into learning how to deal with the change better. I really don't want to have to go see a doctor tho. Maybe there are books or tapes or something. I am so tired of going to so many doctors - I have had several blood tests this year too and everything is fine (thank goodness!!). I agree, it is also a frustrating time of my life too .... we both have to believe that it is just TEMPORARY!! and we have to tell ourselves that we're not dying.

Hang in there! Now we know we're not alone!

Molly
    I think once the hormone fluctuations stop we will feel somewhat in control again. I believe at this stage they fluctuate day to day........today I was not to bad.....but I wonder what tomorrow will be like. I use to know by body......lately I don't even know what I will wake up feeling like. Yes, totally frustrating.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
    dorrey

dorrey HB User
    Angry Re: peri-meno symptoms ?

Hi Molly: It sounds like you are in perimenopause which can start anywhere between the ages of 30-52. I started at 37. There are different forms of HRT that you could choose from. The old fashioned one of Premarin and Medroxyprogesterone--I'd stay away from this one because it is synthetic. The study that was conducted using Prempro. There are others that are bioidentical (to human) -- Estrace pills and any of the estrogen-only patches. There is also natural micronized progesterone in capsules (brand name Prometrium). These hormones duplicate your own. Some of the OTC remedies work for some but not for others. You have to remember that because there are not regulated you are not getting the same dose in each pill and that it is weaker so takes longer to get in your system (average 8-12 weeks). Remifemin is one that has helped others--and they will send you a free 20 day supply + coupons for more. What med did your doctor put you on for depression--I am taking Wellbutrin for mild and have not had any side effects.
    dorrey

Last edited by moderator2; 12-09-2003 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dorrey
    Hi Molly: It sounds like you are in perimenopause which can start anywhere between the ages of 30-52. I started at 37. There are different forms of HRT that you could choose from. The old fashioned one of Premarin and Medroxyprogesterone--I'd stay away from this one because it is synthetic. The study that was conducted using Prempro. There are others that are bioidentical (to human) -- Estrace pills and any of the estrogen-only patches. There is also natural micronized progesterone in capsules (brand name Prometrium). These hormones duplicate your own. Some of the OTC remedies work for some but not for others. You have to remember that because there are not regulated you are not getting the same dose in each pill and that it is weaker so takes longer to get in your system (average 8-12 weeks). Remifemin is one that has helped others--and they will send you a free 20 day supply + coupons for more. What med did your doctor put you on for depression--I am taking Wellbutrin for mild and have not had any side effects.
    dorrey

Hi Dorrey - My doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day about a month ago and I took it only for 9 days. I hated it. I felt worse. I was like a robot and after the 12th hour, I always felt better. I took myself off of it and told my doc that I really didn't think I was depressed -- just anxious and tired of feeling not right. It all started when I suddenly was having dry eyes, which is very uncomfortable especially when you're not getting the right treatment, waiting for the doc appointments. Then I had to go from doc to doc to see if the reason why my dry eyes came on suddenly and my fatigue was because of my thyroid or if I had Sjorgren syndrome. Everything checked out fine. I think I got myself so anxiety ridden that I got myself pretty sick from it. It seems that all three docs I went to couldn't figure why I was tired, no appetite, jelly weak legs. Once I started taking anti-anxiety pills, I was fine. I just started my taking Lorazepham .5 mg 3X a day this week on a more regular basis rather than on a sporandic basis to get myself stablized. I am going to deal with my anxiety first.... however, I do notice that I am getting night sweats more often these past 2 weeks than ever.

I personally think that I have to be my own doc. I believe I am going through peri-meno and because I have mild hypothyroid, my thyroid must be affected some way too which can bring on anxiety.

I thought about using Progesterone cream but then I think I need to get tested to make sure my progesterone is really low because I start using it. I do have some OTC heral supplements - which contains Dong Quai, Black Cohosh, Licorice Root and suppose to help hot flashes. My thyroid doc said to use Estroven but think I heard people with hypothyroid should take soy products. I heard of Remifemin - this is OTC? I also don't know if it is safe to take these supplements while I'm taking my anxiety pills too.

Molly

Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
    PJG

PJG HB User

There is a great menopause site on the internet. It gives great ideas on what to take for every symptom you might have. It also lists 38 symtoms of peri-menopause and menopause. Some I can remember are:
    Lightheadedness
    Dizzyness
    Dry Skin
    Anxiety
    Panic Attacks
    Numbness
    Tingling
    Headaches
    Electric shock sensations (usually in the head)
    Burning Skin
    Thinning Hair
    Weight Gain
    Sensation of ants crawling under the skin
    Nervousness
    Internal shaking
    Night Sweats
    Hot Flashes
    That's all I can remember right now but there are many more. They recommend flaxseed, Vit. E, Magnesium, Fish Oil Capsules, Calcium and several other things.
    My dr.'s nurse is my age and told me that she had alot of nervousness and internal shaking. She was put on a very mild birth control pill and her symptoms went away. I am seeing her next month and am going to get some ideas from her what I can try. She does so much more about this than my dr. who doesn't know much!
    PJ

Quote:
    Hi Dorrey - My doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day about a month ago and I took it only for 9 days. I hated it. I felt worse. I was like a robot and after the 12th hour, I always felt better. I took myself off of it and told my doc that I really didn't think I was depressed -- just anxious and tired of feeling not right. It all started when I suddenly was having dry eyes, which is very uncomfortable especially when you're not getting the right treatment, waiting for the doc appointments. Then I had to go from doc to doc to see if the reason why my dry eyes came on suddenly and my fatigue was because of my thyroid or if I had Sjorgren syndrome. Everything checked out fine. I think I got myself so anxiety ridden that I got myself pretty sick from it. It seems that all three docs I went to couldn't figure why I was tired, no appetite, jelly weak legs. Once I started taking anti-anxiety pills, I was fine. I just started my taking Lorazepham .5 mg 3X a day this week on a more regular basis rather than on a sporandic basis to get myself stablized. I am going to deal with my anxiety first.... however, I do notice that I am getting night sweats more often these past 2 weeks than ever.

I personally think that I have to be my own doc. I believe I am going through peri-meno and because I have mild hypothyroid, my thyroid must be affected some way too which can bring on anxiety.

I thought about using Progesterone cream but then I think I need to get tested to make sure my progesterone is really low because I start using it. I do have some OTC heral supplements - which contains Dong Quai, Black Cohosh, Licorice Root and suppose to help hot flashes. My thyroid doc said to use Estroven but think I heard people with hypothyroid should take soy products. I heard of Remifemin - this is OTC? I also don't know if it is safe to take these supplements while I'm taking my anxiety pills too.

Molly

Old 12-26-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Hi, I just turned 50 2 weeks ago...Yuk..Anyway I am now late with my cycle 2 months. I did take a pregancy test which "thank god" came out negative. I keep getting symptoms of getting it but no luck. I go to my GYN in 2 weeks. I was reading some of the notes from several of you and I too have not been feeling well. It's like some moments I feel great and then all of a sudden I feel like crap. I am emotional, sensitive and moody. It definitely sounds hormonal. I have always been regular with my cycle. Does anyone know if this could be the start of menopause? In spite of all these symptoms I still have my engery level which has been my saving grace since excercising helps me to some degree. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LIND

Old 12-26-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LIND
    Hi, I just turned 50 2 weeks ago...Yuk..Anyway I am now late with my cycle 2 months. I did take a pregancy test which "thank god" came out negative. I keep getting symptoms of getting it but no luck. I go to my GYN in 2 weeks. I was reading some of the notes from several of you and I too have not been feeling well. It's like some moments I feel great and then all of a sudden I feel like crap. I am emotional, sensitive and moody. It definitely sounds hormonal. I have always been regular with my cycle. Does anyone know if this could be the start of menopause? In spite of all these symptoms I still have my engery level which has been my saving grace since excercising helps me to some degree. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LIND
    Hi Lind,
    I turned 50 earlier this year and it has been a terrible year for me. I have always felt great and since August, I have not been the same. There seems to be no reason other than peri-meno. You have to be going through the same thing - just because of your age. I get hot at night to the point I wake up, and these sensations going through my arms/legs. I seem to always wake up feeling draggy. You are lucky to have your energy level. Mine is a lot lower and I'm not used to it. I am 'better' but still not normal. I didn't have my period for the first 4 months of this year, then it came back every month. I haven't had one this month yet and it has been 38 days now. I know I have to be going through some transition...I just pray that my hormones will get itself balanced soon so I can feel better.

Take care,
    Molly

Old 12-26-2003, 04:11 PM   #10
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Quote:
    Hi Lind,
    I turned 50 earlier this year and it has been a terrible year for me. I have always felt great and since August, I have not been the same. There seems to be no reason other than peri-meno. You have to be going through the same thing - just because of your age. I get hot at night to the point I wake up, and these sensations going through my arms/legs. I seem to always wake up feeling draggy. You are lucky to have your energy level. Mine is a lot lower and I'm not used to it. I am 'better' but still not normal. I didn't have my period for the first 4 months of this year, then it came back every month. I haven't had one this month yet and it has been 38 days now. I know I have to be going through some transition...I just pray that my hormones will get itself balanced soon so I can feel better.

Take care,
    Molly
    Hi Molly,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's great to know that you are not alone. So as much as I don't want this to happen, it sounds like I don't have a choice. When does the fun stuff start once you turn 50? I was having hot flashes a year ago but they seem to have gone away however I am sure they will sneak up on me again.

Thanks again.

LIND

Old 12-27-2003, 08:30 AM   #11
    AngelaH

AngelaH HB User

Reply to PJG - This sounds really interesting - do you have the site address, please?

Last edited by AngelaH; 12-27-2003 at 08:32 AM.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
    becky1954

becky1954 HB User

the inconsistency of your periods are one of the first signs of periomenopause.i went without periods for a whole year then got them back inconsistently maybe every 2-4 months then i lost them again.i am 49 and have been without periods for maybe 2 1/2 years.that part has been great.but this year i had to have a D&C and a leep due to having a thick endometrial lining.it turned out to be nothing but a menopopausal woman shouldn't be having a thick lining.the hot flashes come and go.i had pretty much gotten rid of them but my gyn put me on a med for my bones and they started them up again.so i got off of it.i still get the night sweats and moodiness.i read somewhere menopause symptoms could last 5-7 years.Yuk!keep the faith ladies!

Closed Thread