It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• birth control pills and menopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
    Alagal
    (female)

Alagal HB User
    birth control pills and menopause

Can anyone tell me if you are still taking birth control pills will menopause start or do you have to be off of them?
    Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User
    Re: birth control pills and menopause

Hi Deb,
    Good question? I just went off BCPills, my choice{I'm 42 by the way} and I am having some weird hot flashes. I can be freezing one minute and then Wham I have this wave of heat overtaking my body. I am having night sweats but my last FSH{is that the right test?} came back normal or whatever. PCP said I am not going thru menopause. I am having intense pain in both my knees, right one I had a benign tumor and left knee is thought to be menscus tear.
    I am not familiar with any of the signs of menopause but this heat wave has to be the start i would think.
    take care
    Bonnie

Old 01-22-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
    Lee Lee

Lee Lee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alagal
    Can anyone tell me if you are still taking birth control pills will menopause start or do you have to be off of them?
    Deb

I'm not sure. I was on the pill until October of 2003 and was off of them for three months. I went back on them just recently. I couldn't stand the hot flashes. Plus, I never had a period again, which didn't bother me, but those hot flashes, anxiety and not being able to sleep really got to me. I'm 51, but I didn't start having the symptoms of menopause until i stopped taking the pill. I was miserable. Still am.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
    cloverberry

cloverberry HB User

when I was going through perimenopause my doctor put me on birth control pills to get more hormones in me before I started taking hormones so I don't think they stop menopause. I was worried that my period would stop because of them and I kept forgeting to ask the doctor about it. Only time in my life that I knew when my period was coming.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

My PCP just called me and said that yes my FSH came back in the menopause levels. Always before it was way low. She is ordering a new Thyroid ultrasound as I am having pain at the biopsy site from Aug.
    Did going off the pill{i started again on Sun} mess things up?
    Bonnie

Old 02-03-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
    Olderwoman

Olderwoman HB User

Hi there,

I'm usually on the infertility board - but find myself over here. Here's what I know. I was on the pill for years and assumed all was A-OK - however, when I went off to begin TTC (trying to conceive) I was shocked to find I'd been in perimenopause (and maybe full blown menopause) and didn't know it because the pill will mask it (it provides the hormones that your body would normally produce). So, YES, my understanding is you would have to be OFF the pill before you would know you were in menopause. BTW, this began at age 40 when I went off the pill, I'm now 42. They have not been able to generate a single egg out of me in over 9 months and I have been given the final - 'it isn't going to happen' word. Still no periods and horrible hot flashes and night sweats. Going back to my regular OB this week to discuss how to deal with these symptoms.

On the FSH testing - it is only really meaningful if it is done on day3 of your cycle (counting from your 1st day of your period). Your FSH level normally fluctuates based on where you are in your cycle - so, for example, right before you ovulate, it gets higher. My regular OB just tested mine randomly and the results were all over the place. I found out once I got to the RE (reproductive endocrinologist) that you have to time it right to be meaningful.

Plus, some people after they go off the pill take a little while for their bodies to generate hormones naturally (which is why we waited a few months before going the aggressive infertility route, we thought that's what it was - boy were we wrong)

Hope that helps! I'm going to begin hunting for opinions on hormone replacement therapy for someone in full blown menopause too early!

Old 02-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
    lilsunshine46
    Veteran
    (female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hi Olderwoman,
    I am sorry to hear of your inability to concieve. I hear where so many have been on the Pill, wonderful pill but it can hide lots of problems. This menopause thing really stinks!
    Take care,
    B

Closed Thread